Vintage Yamaha C200 kit- ready to gig!

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
OK - got my 1967 Yamaha kit ready to go. I patched more holes, installed new heads, bass drum got Gibraltar spurs, and the tom lugs were stuffed with cotton to keep the springs from rattling. It's taken some time, and the patched holes are obvious if you look for them, but I believe it's ready for an actual gig now.

They sound pretty cool. Check 'em out:

https://youtu.be/0lX2s58an3U

Attachments

• Yamahas-front.jpg
    Yamahas-front.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 221
  • Yamahas-overhead.jpg
    Yamahas-overhead.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 214
  • Yamaha-spurs.jpg
    Yamaha-spurs.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:
Great stuff!

Perfect rendition of Frankenstein (by Edgar Winter Band) at 00:54!

I am so loving this kit, even the red reso. Sounds great too, has that old school sound going on. I wanna find me an old Yamaha kit now!

It never would have occurred to me to put a Hydraulic head of any color on the bass reso... But, I have to admit, it looks absolutely killer, especially with that vintage logo. Nice work restoring this classic.

Looks good! What are your thoughts on the tone? (Especially compared to your plethora of other kits you have owned.)

Looks good! What are your thoughts on the tone? (Especially compared to your plethora of other kits you have owned.)

It certainly makes you wonder why you’d need to spend a lot of money on a good sounding kit. However, this kit will fill the need for a good enough kit to leave somewhere without having to worry about it. There are some limitations to the tuning on the 14” floor tom and the bass drum because of the six lugs (can’t tune low enough), but I think it sounds good in the video and it will work.

That's a big no on the red reso for me. The kit looked so much better with the white reso. Jmho.

Well, it's not like I no longer have the white head. But since you don't like the red one so much, I'm gonna leave it on just to drive you crazy ;)

Fair enough. The finish looks damn good considering the age of the kit. I bet it's light too.

Fair enough. The finish looks damn good considering the age of the kit. I bet it's light too.

Yes, it's pretty light relative to those heavy birch Pearl monsters. I'm sure it's some kind of luan, mahogany, and something combination. The one thing that will make it a great traveling kit is the metal bass drum hoops. If you know how the Rock n Roller cart is set up, I could literally just put the bass drum face down on the cart, and stack the drums on top of that, without having to worry about the hoop getting damaged. I did add some weight with the new spurs, but it's a good trade-off. I was mainly surprised at how loud the kit actually is - I figured it would be muted somewhat (even with the EC2 heads), but it isn't, so I could use it on a real gig!

I may get another vintage Yamaha sticker and put it on the white drum head. The red is striking, but I can't see the logo loud enough ;)

I like the red bass reso---could be because I dislike white heads in general, or could be how cool the red looks on the red kit :)

I really like the look of this kit for you Bo. To me it seems really good fit for you. I can't say why I feel that way, but I do. Maybe it's the color.

I am LOVING the Yamaha logo, I've never seen that one before.

Really cool, the whole kit. With you behind it of course :)

Sounding and looking great. Love the red reso.

Back