Any regrets??

To older drummers: Did you ever have a shot at something big, making it in a band, or something that big, and give it all up for the same old thing, not wanting to step out of the comfort zone, or give it up for a girl or man?? Do you regret it now?? Those sorts of shots don't always come and then give it up??
What do you think? When you are young, you think you have all the time in the world, and then you wake up and you're not so young anymore.

During the late 80's to 90's, I usually jammed with bands that were more of a blues based, glamish type of band(GnR, Faster Pussycat ETC.)

During a time when I was band less, I got a call from a bass player that wanted me to auditon for the band he was in. The type of music they played were more along the lines of Queensryche, King's X, Marrillion ETC.

I didn't really think they would want me, but I auditoned anyway.

The audition went well, and I was in the band. Everyone in the band were great players, and as a result, my drumming improved exponentially .

After a while, one of the previous bands I played with wanted me back. I though, "Although this is a great gig, my heart is really ino the blues based stuff"

So I got back into the previous band....only to quit less than a year latter.

Looking back, I really wished I had stayed with the Queensrycheish type of band, because I would have been a much better player now, and would have open more doors for me.

But,,i can't change the pass so I should not dwell on it.

Not sure what you mean by big, but I had a shot at playing the music I love for a living, which I turned down so that I could have a 'safe' and commercially viable career.

Is that a regret? Yes.

I can relate to this. The last band I was in is doing very well now. The band was called The John Reilly Band, now known as just Reilly. They finished there second album and have gotten radio and tv play and even shot a music video. I left after the first Cd because I was getting married and the commitment was more than I could give.

Do I regret it? Yes and No. It's easy for me to look at the positive side of it and wish I had stayed. The reality of that kind of life with all the traveling and financial uncertainties are not appealing to me. I always dreamed of playing music for a living. I was a music major to start in college and switched my major to IT. So at many points I have made choices based on stability.

But I have alot of great memories of all the places I have played, the album I did record with them. But it is tough every once and I while when I am at my job and I think of what I could be doing.

No.

I can look at numerous things I could have done a little differently that may have lead to a shot to something, but I tended to jump on shots that came my way. I didn't accomplish my career goals, but I can say I played in front of a label rep from nearly ever label in existence.

The only thing that comes close is around age 33, I had an offer to join a band and go on a European tour, but there wasn't much money involved, and I was getting married, so I didn't pursue it. If I had still been 20 something at the time, I would have jumped all over it, money or not. But by that time, I needed some stability. I still see the band around, and we're all friends, and some times it hits me their still on stage and I'm not, but then again, I have the wife, the house, the kid, the nice home studio, which I wouldn't necessarily have if I had taken the tour. So I guess it worked out alright.

I regret once that when i was 14 I auditioned for some band but this bloke they hung out with boned me and i accepted a ride in his car, thinking back on it he could have done anything (forturnately he didn't). Now i know what it feels like to be a girl- living in constant fear of being sexually assaulted. The guy who played the guitar is now in a really sucessful band and they're playing at hammerfest which i think is next weekend in wales with some really good bands like opeth and bullet for my valentine headlining.

I'm also a bit annoyed that i was really forced to leave my last band with my mates because the guitar player in there doesn't really get on with me in terms of being a musician (alright friends with him tho). I really think it was probably my fault for A. Writing really crap songs and B. being just too over-bossy.

Back