Danny Carey

Re: Danny Carey- Genius or completely insane?

This is very good to know. I was thinking that this guy had fallen off his rocker. He's a very good drummer. I guess the jokes on me, just like Big League said, "Andy Kaufmans".

I reckon it started out as a "hey, let's try that for an image" thing and kind of ballooned over the years as interviewer after interviewer failed to get the joke and kept asking more and more serious questions about the subject.

Have you read toolband.com? It's just some random guy called Blair rambling on about taking drugs, eating curry and partaking in occult rituals. You really think they'd do that seriously? I reckon they're having a great time keeping fourteen and fifteen year old kids in Deep Philosophy to chat about on the internet.

I think you have to be puffing on DMT to try and write music as he does.
His drumming is insane.

Yeah, what finn said. Sounds like a quick gimmick to attract some attention. Given Tools very secretive ways and refusal to put Carey on Modern Drummer Festival DVD though raises my suspicions to just how "fun loving" they really are.

No Tool on iTunes? ONE BILLION SONGS SOLD and not a single one of them by Tool.

On a complete side note, I'm glad that Finn and I have come full circle and generally are in 100 percent agreement most of the time! I guess as long as we avoid talking about Mac vs. PC or Vital Information we are golden!

More Matt Chamberlain, less Steve Smith I say!

Genius or Insane:

Many geniuses are known to be considered insane: it is the only way to cause a revolution. Look at Galileo. He had thoughts of astronomy whicheveryone considered to be insane: his theories are now accepted by everyone (the sun is the center of our solar system, planets move in elliptical orbits).

Danny is definately strange, but I think Tool seems to put on sort of a show with themselves. Maynard James Keenan (who I consider a freak) is considered by many to be one the greatest lyricists ever (he is very intelligent, and his work reflects his knowledge of writing and literature). He is known to hate the music industry itself, since it is a money scheme (in his opinion).

I think the entire band is putting some sort of act; it seems as though they attempt to be as strange as possible. Danny is known affiliate of the occult and applies metaphysics to drumming (I don't even know what metaphysics is). Danny Carey is either putting on the genius act or the weirdo act. Since the genius act may get him notariety, further pushing him into the media, I'll go with straight up crazy.

- Marc

I don't think Tool are occult at all, I think if they have an engagement it's more politically oriented. And even if they were it wouldn't change the way I listen their incredible music.
Some pictures still make me wonder if they are really joking or not..........maybe it's just another DMT ritual.............

Attachments

• toocult.jpg
    toocult.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 8,769

Stu_Strib said:
Yeah, what finn said. Sounds like a quick gimmick to attract some attention. Given Tools very secretive ways and refusal to put Carey on Modern Drummer Festival DVD though raises my suspicions to just how "fun loving" they really are.

No Tool on iTunes? ONE BILLION SONGS SOLD and not a single one of them by Tool.

On a complete side note, I'm glad that Finn and I have come full circle and generally are in 100 percent agreement most of the time! I guess as long as we avoid talking about Mac vs. PC or Vital Information we are golden!

More Matt Chamberlain, less Steve Smith I say!

Now Macs have Intel-Chips - the discussion is over. So everybody can have a nice Mac grapics environment, if he can afford.

And again this Modern Drummer - Carey - Thing: more a quality issue cached with legal issue arguments....

Bernhard

Stu_Strib said:
Yeah, what finn said. Sounds like a quick gimmick to attract some attention. QUOTE]

Stu Brings up a valid point: Danny Carey seems to want some sort of attention. He will probably never get any from the media, which is actually a shame. This nature in itself will attract die-hard fans of Tool, who try to mimic Tool in as many ways possible. For example: In my school, I talked to one of my friends about Lateralus (the CD). I was handing him the cd; This really strange kid at our school came up to us :
Him:"You like Tool?"
Me: "Yeah."
Him: "Do you know the extent of Tool's genius?"
Me: "I think their drummer is really good. The band itself is pretty solid. So in terms of music theory or whatever, they know their stuff."
Him: "You don't know anything about Tool, therefore you know nothing about yourself." Then walked away.

This kid thought he was being so mysterious and dark, but he was just trying to mimic Tool's behavior (at least what he thught they would behave like). Carey's mysterious personality lends to his image, and personally, I think Tool tries very hard to stay secretive, and be weird (how many lead singers perform off stage a good portion of their show, or do odd dances to thier own music - and I don't mean headbanging). This is the sort of attention Tool probably wants: they want to get so many die-hard fans that eventually, they media will be forced towards them, and when Tool refuses to do interviews or public appearances, they will get more attention. Either that, or to just mess with our heads.

- Marc

Guinness Drunk said:
I'm going to go ahead and vote- insane.
Can I vote that this is all a part of Tools idiom as a crazy band. Their own little weird gimmick. He knows how to drum so well because he went the University of Kansas and studied percussion.

Love tool, just dont read into it too much, regardless of whether it's true or not.

While Danny and Tool do love to screw with people. YES Danny is into the occult.

tool is defininitely a group of incredibly talented musicians. i don't think danny carey is

insane at all. although i don't know him personally, and neither do any of you, so really all

you are given to base your opinion on is what is put out there by tool. i.e. occult stuff blah

blah blah. whether he is into the occult or just likes having a bit of fun with the

unbeknownst media, he is still an insane drummer.

I think Tool is probably the most misunderstood band of all time. They're not crazy. They just have a different outlook on music and a sense of humor that is often misunderstood. I think it's their way of saying that you shouldn't take musicians too seriously.

I find Tool's "madness" and mystery quite engaging. They are excellent musicians and always give their best to their work.

Tool knows how to party.

Bless 'em.

TOMANO

You know, when I first saw that quote, I was thinking the same thing. I thought he was crazy. After reading up on tool, however, I think theyre joking. I mean, they have to be joking. It sounds like the picked a whole bunch of big words and put them in a sentence, regardless if it made sense or not. Funny stuff though.

Stu_Strib said:
Given Tools very secretive ways and refusal to put Carey on Modern Drummer Festival DVD though raises my suspicions to just how "fun loving" they really are.

so did they just take danny off of the dvd? cause i found the pictures of him from the md fest, be he was no where to be found on the dvd.

tool were my favourite band for ages, and when lateralus came out i couldn't believe my luck because it was - and still is - one of the most fun albums i have ever attempted to learn... the grudge and ticks & leeches would have to be the most challenging songs on the album, and i love the title track.
as far as tool's sense of humor goes, it has never really cracked me up the way a band like primus have... but i guess it is pretty funny how so many people take tool so seriously.
i certainly used to for a while until someone i know said how funny he thought tool were: then it kind of dawned on me

"...The resulting rhythm and gateway summoned a daemon he has contained within "the Lodge" that has been delivering short parables similar to passages within the Book of Lies..."

ha ha.. yeah

i think danny carey is both completely insane and a genius because you would have to be insane to be as creative a player as he is

Very amazing drummer, if anyone can scan any articles in modern drummer or anything that would be excellent. Cannot wait for the new album, regardless of everyone freaking out about the title

Back