Lars Ulrich

Have non of you herd New Song or Other New Song yet. They respectively match ... And Justice for All and Kill ' EM All. In both complexity , speed and length of song. Very thrash metal, not the polished pro-tools stuff of the last decade.

From what i've heard of his playing, I think he's rather over-rated. I mean, come on, the drums on enter sandman are pathetic. I thought Phil Rudd was a guest drummer on that track :D.

can't agree more with the last few comments. Simple isn't necessarily bad, but he plays the same thing in every song!!

You .... you mean Lars keeps the beat he dosen't play for personal glory he wants the song to be complete. Most of the time he uses his double bass pedals to help keep time for James often extremely awkward rhythm guitar parts or kirks timing changes on the bride. He plays for the song he isn't like new metal drummers that just hammer on the drums so fast and have so many beats that they can't possible be out of time. James put it best " I'm used to the drummer keeping the beat" with that said the only people who are better or as good in my book are Nick Menza , Dave Lombard , Ian Paice , John Bonham.

You know, honestly I can say Lars was a big insperation to me growing up. Metallica's music I love, and will continue to support them, even though I may not like everything they have put out over the recent years... But back to Lars...
Lars is good for the music they put out... All the songs Metallica put out, along with Lars drumming really go hand in hand together...
Anyone who thinks Metallica is more than a hardcore rock band, that actually has good music, melodies, is wrong.... The are a great band, great music, and all the drum, bass, guitar parts are fit together... I dont think if Lars played anything more than what he did that it would sound better...
ALTHOUGH, the one thing with Lars is that I never liked the fact he took so many fills, and did them in the weirdest parts in the song.
If you listen to the S&M album, you will see what I mean...
His drum sound, you can spot a mile away, which is cool because every drummer is looking for that signature sound.

On the black album, I saw a video on youtube, they interviewed Bob Rock and Lars regarding his drumming and sound from the album. And well believe it or not it was all cut and paste... Meaning Lars would play, play, and play, then they took the best parts and edited in a way that just sounded like it did...
Its really no surprise because now that I do session work, a lot of producers do that. At first I was a little taken back because as a drummer, personally, I feel it should just be a solid performance behind the kit and just use that take, but not cut, paste, loop, and do it all over again... But it happens, alot more than before.

anyways,
Lars still rules!

lars is a good drummer. maybe he's not too great when it comes to technique but he certainly gets the song going and he even shows off occasionally. buy anyway, did anybody notice the mistake in Dyers eve? that was funny

lars is a good drummer. maybe he's not too great when it comes to technique but he certainly gets the song going and he even shows off occasionally. buy anyway, did anybody notice the mistake in Dyers eve? that was funny

Is the mistake when he is usually playing 16ths on tthe kick at that part in the verse/chorus (whichever it is) and the re is no kickdrum then it just starts like he forgot to do it????

I think Lars is a pretty good drummer in my opinion. I really liked his drumming on .....And Justice for All and Black. It was funny watching him get mad on the Some Kind of Monster DVD when they threw a surprise birthday party for Kirk but never one for Lars.

And yes, Lars plays on Tama, where did you hear he played Gretsch? Never heard that one before.

He played a Gretsch kit for the recording of the Black album if I remember correctly.

He played a Gretsch kit for the recording of the Black album if I remember correctly.

I also have to say that he was on of my first drum heros (along with Phil Collins and Nicko McBrain....what a mix!!) and Justice has incredible drums on it....for me, easily his best performance on record.....I also may be one of the few that actually likes the production on that record....it fits the mood I think.

Lars has come a long way with his drumming. I have some practice tapes from the 80's of them and he really was sloppy and they had to speed up the drum track to make him sound faster in the mix. As for his personality, well not everyone gets along, that's life.
Pinner

Is the mistake when he is usually playing 16ths on tthe kick at that part in the verse/chorus (whichever it is) and the re is no kickdrum then it just starts like he forgot to do it????

I have never picked out a mistake on Dyers Eve.

lars is not a 'monster' player like the Mike Portnoys and Terry Bozzios of the world BUT he is still a good drummer.
yes he doesnt play the most complicated grooves or fills but he serves the song and i think he and metallica go hand in hand. i cant think of someone to replace him.
i saw a video of metallica with joey jourdison from slipknot filling in and it just didnt sound right, not at all!

I've perused the responses here and some I agree with, some not....go figure. :)

Nutha - if Metallica has been scrabbling for success since the Black Album, as you put it, I think we all wish we could be doin' that scrabblin' what with selling out stadiums in minutes and selling zillions of albums. I don't understand that comment.

For others who say his playing has diminished, in your opinions it has. I am a fan of all albums up to and including the Black Album. The rest to me aren't very good. Ride the Lightning is far and away the best album imo.

From a technical standpoint, I don't know either way how he is as I am not that good of a drummer to say he isn't technical. Many people here on this forum are technique crazy to the point where it is tiring to hear over and over again. In helping amateurs such as myself, the info is great.i.e. stick grip, hand positioning etc.

It seems funny to point out these flaws (seemingly especially to Ulrich) to a dude who is in such a popular band. I understand there is some jealousy among many members who feel they are far superior to him in drumming skills. Just go with it dudes. He's a rock star and you (and me ain't). He's a zillionaire and we aren't. He plays stadiums, we don't. Not that he needs me to defend him, 'cause I'm sure he couldn't care less about this forum, but lighten up.

If they "sold out" with the Black Album, that's their business (and quite a succesful business it is). There seems to be a problem when musicians make money. Why is that?? Does everyone here work for free??

In closing, I'd like to say that I enjoy his drumming and if I get to the point where I can criticize any major star's technique or ability (and actually be serious about it), I'd better put down the sticks and play euchre.

My .02.

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've perused the responses here and some I agree with, some not....go figure. :)

Nutha - if Metallica has been scrabbling for success since the Black Album, as you put it, I think we all wish we could be doin' that scrabblin' what with selling out stadiums in minutes and selling zillions of albums. I don't understand that comment.

For others who say his playing has diminished, in your opinions it has. I am a fan of all albums up to and including the Black Album. The rest to me aren't very good. Ride the Lightning is far and away the best album imo.

From a technical standpoint, I don't know either way how he is as I am not that good of a drummer to say he isn't technical. Many people here on this forum are technique crazy to the point where it is tiring to hear over and over again. In helping amateurs such as myself, the info is great.i.e. stick grip, hand positioning etc.

It seems funny to point out these flaws (seemingly especially to Ulrich) to a dude who is in such a popular band. I understand there is some jealousy among many members who feel they are far superior to him in drumming skills. Just go with it dudes. He's a rock star and you (and me ain't). He's a zillionaire and we aren't. He plays stadiums, we don't. Not that he needs me to defend him, 'cause I'm sure he couldn't care less about this forum, but lighten up.

If they "sold out" with the Black Album, that's their business (and quite a succesful business it is). There seems to be a problem when musicians make money. Why is that?? Does everyone here work for free??

In closing, I'd like to say that I enjoy his drumming and if I get to the point where I can criticize any major star's technique or ability (and actually be serious about it), I'd better put down the sticks and play euchre.

My .02.

Cheers.
Diplomatic as ever ZF!! I like Lars; hes passionate and, as previously stated, what he does is ideal for Metallica. Is he the best technical drummer on the planet? Possibly not, but he's made a lotta ppl happy with his work and thats gotta count for something.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lars was getting better and better as time went on...reaching his best with And Justice For All...but then he hit The Black Album and he's one of the most typical sounding drummers in the world.

To his credit he must still have a tallent for writing songs since he gets writing credit on every Metallica song.

Hey ZF. The thing I don't get is... how can people say Metallica are "selling out" when they are not members of Metallica? See my point? Metallica plays what Metallica wants to play. How is that selling out? Those are pretty immature and uneducated opinons on the part of those making the comments.

"selling out" is quick said, some people say Metallica are selling out, Trivium are selling out, they are selling out and they are selling out too ... As for myself, I don´t give a damn, at least the music kicks.

Don´t get me wrong, I kinda understand people when they´re upset about this selling out thing ... Their favorite Thrash band goes in a more commercial way to earn some money, nothings wrong bout that. Look at Machine Head for example, began with that killer album Burn my Eyes, and after The More Things Change they tried to earn some money, by trying playing their music with a more commercial touch and a radio single ... and they failed, big time. With Through the Ashes of Empires they had an awesome thrash "comeback" and with their new album The Blackening, they´re having their biggest succsess on EVERYTHING, record sales, sold out major tours, including supporting Metallica, Iron Maiden, etc. ... and they´re not selling out, cause this record is their heaviest in their career.

I hope you guys will know what I´m trying to tell you here ... ;-)

Back