Where Have All The Bop Kits Gone?

nomad

Have the Tama Silverstar and Yamaha Stage Custom bop kits been discontinued? About a year ago, the market was flooded with them. Today, I can hardly find them for sale online.

I bought a Silverstar bop kit last year for $500USD and I love it. I was thinking of buying a second one in order to leave one set up at home and one at a rehearsal space. I can't find new shell packs for sale on the usual websites.

Does anyone have information on this? They are sweet little kits for the price. I highly recommend them-if they are still available.

Really? If you did an eBay search for jazz drum sets or bop drum sets, all kinds of them pop up, many of them from actual brick-and-mortar stores doing business via eBay. I'm a Pearl guy and just acquired the Pearl Vision Bop kit and I have to say, I think this Pearl kit beats them all. It seems so much better built than the Tama or the Gretsch.

This thread title could make a great parody ala Weird Al.

Set to the music of "Where did all the Cowboys Go"

I have nothing to add to this topic except a little stupid humor.

What's a bop kit anyway? 1 up 1 down, hi hats a crash and a ride... I don't see the big deal. Look at what them guys were playin' back then. It can't be too hard to put something together.

A bop kit... courtesy of Philly Joe and Billy Martin... Simple works

Attachments

• philly joe.jpg
    philly joe.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 709
  • billy martin.jpg
    billy martin.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 712
Last edited:
What's a bop kit anyway? 1 up 1 down, hi hats a crash and a ride... I don't see the big deal. Look at what them guys were playin' back then. It can't be too hard to put something together.

A bop kit... courtesy of Philly Joe and Billy Martin... Simple works

True. This thread is making me feel that I can't play bop unless the kit is a bop kit. I have to remind myself I can play everything on anything ;)

True. This thread is making me feel that I can't play bop unless the kit is a bop kit. I have to remind myself I can play everything on anything ;)

Bwa ha ha ha!!!! - hey Bo - type " bop drum kit - definition " into google, and see what comes up.

I pretty much follow the current marketing jargon - bop=18"bass drum; jazz=20"; rock=22";
and anything over that is up for grabs - probably 'stadium' or somesuch.

There's also this - from here: http://www.nationaljazzworkshop.org/freematerials/fidyk/Steve_Fidyk_History_Drum_Set.pdf

"...For swing drummers of the 1930’s and 40’s, the foundation and centerpiece of the time
was the high hat and bass drum. For the new wave of be bop drummers, the focal point
became the ride cymbal. The drum set up into this point in history was viewed as the
main time keeper in the band. The drummer was the leader of the time and the rhythm
section. Be-bop drummers utilized the drum set to change color and textures within an
arrangement by playing fills and adding rhythmic comments. The time feel was also
much lighter and the drum sizes were smaller.

A typical be bop drum set consists of an 18” bass drum, 12” mounted tom, and a 14” large tom...."

Hi there fellow drummer's. This is my very first post. I'm from Ireland. The Yamaha Stage Custom bebop look really nice, but not that many around for sale. The updated version is available including the bop which now have shallower toms. What do ye guy's think of these,I hope to add individual components . Apparently there good for tracking and live.The new finish pure white looks lovely,peace.

Hi there fellow drummer's. This is my very first post. I'm from Ireland. The Yamaha Stage Custom bebop look really nice, but not that many around for sale. The updated version is available including the bop which now have shallower toms. What do ye guy's think of these,I hope to add individual components . Apparently there good for tracking and live.The new finish pure white looks lovely,peace.

I've got one of the earlier models and think it's great.
I think some of the new ones are starting to show up, but it's hard to tell.
Yamaha USA has never listed them on their site - only in a pdf download.
It's hard to tell from pictures, because at least half the time, the pictures are wrong.
The only thing that makes me think some places have the new ones are the size listings. The toms are an inch shallower, but the bass drum is still the same depth.
Anyways - a few other people here have them. Maybe they'll chime in.

Back