Crash cymbal upgrade

lloydbarrel

Ok, so here's the thing. I have been playing with a few budget cymbals recently. The one I most care about is the one I love hitting the most - Paiste 201 16" Crash.

I've managed to crack this cymbal and plan on getting the crack shaped out and keeping it in my cymbal bag just in case I fancy playing it. However, despite this cymbal floating around the low end area of cymbals, I absolutely love the sound!

Weight: medium
Volume: medium soft to loud
Stick sound: washy
Intensity: lively
Sustain: medium

Can anybody give me advice on a similar sounding cymbal that's maybe an upgrade? I previously managed to find a real cheap Sabian B8 pro 16" as I thought it may have a similar sound but it's absolutely horrible! Very glassy.

I was thinking Zildjian ZBTs possibly? But I don't wanna have to go through the same thing I went through with the B8! Probably be a good idea to go into a shop and test some out but thought I'd see if anyone on here as any wonderful cymbal knowledge.

Thanks a lot!

For everything except Paiste's, get a b20 cymbal. Zildjian A's and K's, Sabian AA's and HH's, Istanbuls (Agops or Mehmets), etc. Paiste b8s starting with Giant Beats or 2002's, and b20s starting with 602s. Anything less would not be an upgrade. Weights for you would be medium thin to mediums. Try an 18" first, then go smaller or bigger depending on what you want.

For everything except Paiste's, get a b20 cymbal. Zildjian A's and K's, Sabian AA's and HH's, Istanbuls (Agops or Mehmets), etc. Paiste b8s starting with Giant Beats or 2002's, and b20s starting with 602s. Anything less would not be an upgrade. Weights for you would be medium thin to mediums. Try an 18" first, then go smaller or bigger depending on what you want.

Thanks for the response Mikinao! Would love both Ks and As but they're quite pricey!

ZBTs are just going to be just like the Sabian B8.

If your wanting some stuff on a budget look at the Sabian SR2s they are all refurbished from AA, AAX, HH, and HHX lines that they use for trade shows and artists. They can be had for pretty inexpensive. Otherwise you could also look in to some Dream cymbals as well especially if your wanting something washy.

All of the above suggestions are good. I would also suggest checking out Wuhan's New Traditional line. They are an often overlooked budget option. Similar to Dream, they are Chinese-made hand hammered B20 bronze. I have a 16" crash that I use over a Sabian AA thin for hi hats and they sound really good. It's a nice dark, washy crash as well. Pretty full sounding for a 16" crash. Bought it new for $50.

Go used - I got a great 18" Zildjian hollow logo crash for $50 couple of years ago off of craigslist. Also got a nearly identical one thrown in as part of a deal when I bought my Rogers Powertone snare - got it and the cymbal for $150! As others have said, don't bother going near the ZBT stuff as it's kind of like for like, you won't be moving up the cymbal food chain that way.

Why not scour Ebay for the exact same cymbal? Paiste cymbals are the most consistent sounding cymbals out there.

You can definitely find a used Zildjian A 16" crash for around $50-$120 , depending upon condition and circumstances etc. It'll sound at least decent, if not quite nice.

ZBT? I think they sound terrible. ZHT's seem more tolerable.

I don't know where you live, Lloyd, but if you are in the USA, I can help a little.
Number one, unless you know what you're doing, stay away from the B8 alloy. There are cheaper alternatives that are B20 bronze and sound every bit as good as those more expensive B20 brand cymbals:

1. You can get a decent 16" Kasza crash from GC online for around $80 to $90.

2. Saluda cymbals are a bargain, as are Dream, Stagg DH, Sabian XS-20 & SR2, and Istanbul Agop Xist.

3. My last two cymbal purchases have been used cymbals from GC: a 16" Zildjian A Custom crash for about $110 and an 18" Paiste Signature Prototype for about $125. For $20 more, I can get a brand new Saluda that comes with a warranty.

Thanks for all your responses folks! I think I'll steer clear of the ZBTs then! I took a listen to them on the Zildjian website and thought they sounded ok.. But I thought the same with the B8 but when I received it, I realised the digital sound files of the cymbal was quite decieiving!

I also figured that because Zildjian made very good cymbals, their low end cymbals would be among the mid range cymbals of other brands like Paiste etc. I'll try and find a 2nd hand A or K even though they'll still be $$€€££. I did think about getting a new paiste 201 but I thought it was about time I got a nice mid-high end cymbal! I've got sabian XS20 hats that sound good, so if they're anything to go by I could find a nice XS20 crash also!

MZ! Sadly, I live in a small country called Wales, so anything USA related is out of reach! Appreciate the info though!

Thanks for all your responses folks! I think I'll steer clear of the ZBTs then! I took a listen to them on the Zildjian website and thought they sounded ok.. But I thought the same with the B8 but when I received it, I realised the digital sound files of the cymbal was quite decieiving!

I also figured that because Zildjian made very good cymbals, their low end cymbals would be among the mid range cymbals of other brands like Paiste etc. I'll try and find a 2nd hand A or K even though they'll still be $$€€££. I did think about getting a new paiste 201 but I thought it was about time I got a nice mid-high end cymbal! I've got sabian XS20 hats that sound good, so if they're anything to go by I could find a nice XS20 crash also!

MZ! Sadly, I live in a small country called Wales, so anything USA related is out of reach! Appreciate the info though!

Oh, if you're in Wales, then you're on your own. Haha. I'm sure some good used cymbals are available here and there.

Lloyd I'm in the UK and go used from eBay generally - Zildjian A custom 16" crash was £100 including shipping. A K 16" was £110.

Also, i played ZBTs as my first upgrade from the no-name stuff that came with my first kit - it's definitely worth saving up a bit more.

Ok, so here's the thing. I have been playing with a few budget cymbals recently. The one I most care about is the one I love hitting the most - Paiste 201 16" Crash.

I've managed to crack this cymbal and plan on getting the crack shaped out and keeping it in my cymbal bag just in case I fancy playing it. However, despite this cymbal floating around the low end area of cymbals, I absolutely love the sound!

Weight: medium
Volume: medium soft to loud
Stick sound: washy
Intensity: lively
Sustain: medium

Can anybody give me advice on a similar sounding cymbal that's maybe an upgrade? I previously managed to find a real cheap Sabian B8 pro 16" as I thought it may have a similar sound but it's absolutely horrible! Very glassy.

I was thinking Zildjian ZBTs possibly? But I don't wanna have to go through the same thing I went through with the B8! Probably be a good idea to go into a shop and test some out but thought I'd see if anyone on here as any wonderful cymbal knowledge.

Thanks a lot!

Pai$te PST 7's are OK crashes ,Sabian XS are pretty decent too.

Back