My new band collapsed...

T

The Old Hyde

Im still scratching my head on this one. The band I formed recently just fell apart in a matter of hours through text messages. Here is what happened. We were renting a practice studio. Small, no A/C and very loud, we had to were ear plugs because of the size and layout of the place. Now last Sunday the owner said he need our time slot. No problem but we all have families etc so we can only play at that time. We locate another studio 2 mile away, same price BUT...2 drum sets, A/C base cab, amps, the works and larger. When the owner of the first studio finds out he flips and somehow moves things around and gets out spot back. BUT, me. the bass and the rhythm guy really want to go to the new spot anyway. ( He says he busted his ass to get us our time back, Really? Just a few calls I think). Now, he is not a member of the band, not a manager, not anything, just someone we rented a space from. So, the singer and lead ( brother and sister) tell us "well, hes a friend and we don't want to move out". I don't care if hes your dad, the place sucked! Also, for free the rhythm guy offered his basement studio ( he is wealthy, COO of a fortune 400 company, 7500 square ft house, top notch gear and drums, I didn't ask about it because I didn't want him to think we were using him for that). They went on about their commitment to the first guy and long story short, they quit the band!?!?!?!?! Im not sure what happened, the band showed promise but they were like a couple of cult member to this guy. still have my other band and the remaining three of us will work on a trio for now.

That really sucks but I guess you're better off finding out how bro/sis are at the early stages of the band than much later. I say forget 'em and move forward with your other band. Also see about your other bandmate possibly assembling another singer and guitarist. And tell them THIS is the rehearsal studio we would like to use. A/C can go along ways in keeping people cool-headed...no pun intended!

Steve

Ah, the problem with working with the very young. I'm sure in time they'll come to realize what a dumb mistake they made..not that that's much consolation.

I'm sorry it didn't work out for you but at least you know of a place you can use for your next project. Sounds awesome!

They both quit their previous band after three gigs and blamed an over demanding drummer. I took their word for it, I think its them. in practice he would suggest a song and I would say I never heard of it and he would still say lets try it now anyway. dude I NEVER heard it, let me download it first at least! he was like a little dictator, I didn't pull any of the "I formed this band/im the leader " stuff but he seemed to right away. I saw them post on facebook an open mic they attended and reached out to them, what a mistake. they got bullied by this studio owner and in turn, tried to bully the rest of us. it got crazy really quickly.

Sounds to me like they are over pretentious, spoiled brats that were use to having things their way. They will probably go from band to band until they're tossed aside in few years from all the local musicians in your area. Or....they become the new Oasis lol

One of their arguments was the owner has a kid on the way and could use the money. So I have to suffer playing there because of that? strange. and turning down the free space as well? it was only 20 bucks an hour, three hours. so now instead of 60 bucks he gets 100% of nothing hahaha. he totally started this crap storm. Then " as a friend " moved things around when we were moving out. Well a friend would not have given our time slot away in the first place! this guy is a local drummer who is pretty well know in the area and its like they fear him. He never played with them or asked them to be on anything of his, are they afraid to miss out if he hits it big?

Sounds to me as if it might be a case of loyalty complicating things. Whatever it is, it's a pity but better things will surely come out of it.

One of their arguments was the owner has a kid on the way and could use the money. So I have to suffer playing there because of that? strange. and turning down the free space as well? it was only 20 bucks an hour, three hours. so now instead of 60 bucks he gets 100% of nothing hahaha. he totally started this crap storm. Then " as a friend " moved things around when we were moving out. Well a friend would not have given our time slot away in the first place! this guy is a local drummer who is pretty well know in the area and its like they fear him. He never played with them or asked them to be on anything of his, are they afraid to miss out if he hits it big?

All good points. Sounds like the biggest loser is the "so-called friend". I don't think loyalty is the issue but greed itself from the owner.

Sounds to me as if it might be a case of loyalty complicating things. Whatever it is, it's a pity but better things will surely come out of it.

hahahaha they actually said " you don't understand loyalty". HE IS NOT PART OF THE BAND~!!!!! I was dying reading their barrage of texts, nothing got rude thankfully but it was a lot of B.S.

All good points. Sounds like the biggest loser is the "so-called friend". I don't think loyalty is the issue but greed itself from the owner.

I am soooo tempted to call him and say thanks for wrecking my project but I wont. he is a casual friend of mine to. one of my closest friends is a landscaper, I don't use him and he doesn't care! the singer is a hairdresser by day, am I supposed to start using her?
BTW, thanks for letting me vent about this.

Last edited by a moderator:
If that's all it took to splinter the band....it wouldn't have survived anyway. Geez, what a wacky reason to split a band.
I don't get it.

But whatever. In a few months you'll probably be glad it happened. Because you wouldn't have met the people you haven't met yet.

Sorry, things keep popping up. I forgot, when our guy found the new place, all five of us looked at it on line and the specs etc and all five of us were excited about it. then when it all goes down the lead guitar guy says " I would rather sacrifice convenience of space if it means keeping a friendship in good standing" ???? Its a cult I tell ya!

If that's all it took to splinter the band....it wouldn't have survived anyway. Geez, what a wacky reason to split a band.
I don't get it.

But whatever. In a few months you'll probably be glad it happened. Because you wouldn't have met the people you haven't met yet.

Larry it is crazy, my wife read through the texts and was laughing and scratching her head too. what a non-issue it should have been.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am soooo tempted to call him and say thanks for wrecking my project but I wont. he is a casual friend of mine to. one of my closest friends is a landscaper, I don't use him and he doesn't care! the singer is a hairdresser by day, am I supposed to start using her?
BTW, thanks for letting me vent about this.

Absolutely use her. And ask her to give you a 60's Beehive doo. It's all the rage ya know ; ). Vent away...what we're here for. Plus...people vent to me all the time, I'm a cop so this isn't so bad but healthy for you. You should hear some of the stuff I hear every day...whoa!!!

I don't get it.

+1..........................doesn't sound like it would have lasted anyway. Just be glad you didn't get even more involved with them.

And I just finished congratulating you on that new band a few days ago :/

I wouldn't be surprised if it is a cult.

It's all Reggae Mangles fault, he jinxed you lol. Please don't congratulate me on anything Reggae, I like my bands lol.

If that is all it took for them to bail I would assume they were one foot out the door already. As you said they are probably trying to hitch their wagon to the owner of the space. I have been in one band with siblings and one band with a husband/wife and I will never do it again. Having two people that close outside the band almost always makes things difficult inside the band. They almost always rise to the position of leadership due to their votes always being the same.

Think about it
AC/DC
Van Halen
Pantera

You're better off getting this out of the way now. Band members need to be easy to work with otherwise you're in for a tough time.

Back