Kick Mic on Floor Tom

I can see why you'd want a 902 rather than a 904 for your 18", as the 904's range only goes down to 40hz, whereas the 902 goes down to 20hz. My tom mics go down to 30hz which already picks up a lower end than your 904s, and I noticed a big difference moving to a the kick mic, which dips to 20hz, like the 902 does.

Don't do it, Glen. Do NOT get a 902, because my hunch is that once you hear what a 20hz mic does for your 18", you'll try in on your other floor toms, and then end up wanting a 902 for each of them, too! :)

It's not just about frequency numbers, but how the mic pics up the sound.

My hidden agenda at last night's rehearsal was to determine whether or not the I could get more attack from the kick mic on a floor tom, and I planned on trying different things. I started with the mic on the 14 floor, with the mic positioned 1/2" higher than I normally run tom mics (total height was 2.25"), and left the 16 floor to fend for itself in the overheads, intending on eventually progressing to the 16 over the course of the rehearsal. I recorded the band on a single track to try to simulate a live performance. Guess what? I never looked back. Turns out raising the mic an additional 1/2" over the tom head made a quite a difference, similar to how moving a kick mic inside a kick drum just a 1/2" can make a significant difference.

Ta da! Thank you and goodnight. I'm here all week. Try the venison.

Oh, and regarding McKenzie's coated pinstripes and moongels, I can see why he does that. While an open tone sounds good acoustically to the naked ear, it's a WAY different story when it come to close-micing, as open tone often results in a cluttered overall mix, not to mention sympathetic ring is gets picked up very easily by mics that close to a brum head. So, sometimes it's better to dampen to eliminate too much sustain and ring, and let the board do the mix. ;-) Those clips kettles linked to are not very good examples on how his kit probably really sounds when mixed right. Those clips sounded like they were simply recorded with the video camera's mic(s).

I know. I posted them to show he takes a lot of influence from hand percussion, and he probably just digs that drier muffled tone. I know a guy who does the same thing, coated pinstripe on snare with tape/moongels and everything, it's all part of that sound that works for his music

It's not just about frequency numbers, but how the mic pics up the sound.
Yes, I am aware of that. Just glad it's working out for me, in the end. But, now I am seriously considering getting another one of the kick mics for my other floor tom. Does spending money ever end? :)

Incidentally, one of my previous guitarists is an area manager for Sennheiser. Glad to hear you're helping him keep food on the table. :)

I know. I posted them to show he takes a lot of influence from hand percussion, and he probably just digs that drier muffled tone. I know a guy who does the same thing, coated pinstripe on snare with tape/moongels and everything, it's all part of that sound that works for his music
Good point about the style of music having an influence on what we all do with our sound. Nice reminder that no single method or application is "right", and that we should all maintain open minds, and do what is necessary to contribute to the overall sound, and TRY to keep our egos in check. ;-)

Back