best drum rack out there

charliejuson

i want to get a drum rack for my tama starclassic, so what is the best one out there.

not bothered about price but i just want a really good one, any recommendations, again, price doesnt matter.

You have three basic designs to choose from. Round tube (most racks), square tube (Pearl), and hex tube (Yamaha). Once you choose which look you want (or which look you really don't want) ...... then it gets easier.​
30+ years of R&D into drum rack design, they all pretty much work, now days.​

You have three basic designs to choose from. Round tube (most racks), square tube (Pearl), and hex tube (Yamaha). Once you choose which look you want (or which look you really don't want) ...... then it gets easier.​
30+ years of R&D into drum rack design, they all pretty much work, now days.​

Yup. Of those my first choice would be the yamaha hex rack. Love the look and design of the tubes and well yamaha makes incredible hardware.

.... although i like the look of the hex rack, clamps are very hard to find so i wouldnt know where to look
Any Yamaha dealer should be able to order them. Same as any Gibraltar dealer would be able to order Gibraltar clamps .... and a Pearl dealer should be able to order Pearl clamps.​

Any Yamaha dealer should be able to order them. Same as any Gibraltar dealer would be able to order Gibraltar clamps .... and a Pearl dealer should be able to order Pearl clamps.​

Yep not hard to find either...the only time it was hard to find hex rack clamps was when Yamaha was between hex rack I & II...hex rack II clamps are easily obtained through any music store that sells Yamaha hardware....

i live in uk and yamaha dealers are very few and all the dealers i have emailed, none of them have replied

In the UK the most commonly used rack is probably the pearl icon. I have one of these, they are plentiful used and the clamps etc can be had easily on ebay and the like. I agree the Yamaha is good looking, but if you want ease of access, Pearl is the way to go. I used mine with my previous Rockstar Custom and continue to use it with my current Mapex Saturn.

In the UK the most commonly used rack is probably the pearl icon. I have one of these, they are plentiful used and the clamps etc can be had easily on ebay and the like. I agree the Yamaha is good looking, but if you want ease of access, Pearl is the way to go. I used mine with my previous Rockstar Custom and continue to use it with my current Mapex Saturn.

Here in the states, I would guess Gibraltar is the most popular........................though you do see quite a few Pearls.........................personally I've only seen a few Yamaha hex and DW racks...........................they are pricey though

I have a Pearl iCon and when I was looking it was the cheapest. It is sturdy, easy to adjust and the parts are readily available.

I have a Pearl iCon and when I was looking it was the cheapest. It is sturdy, easy to adjust and the parts are readily available.

I have 2 Pearl Icons...one in the studio and one for gigging. No slipping, everything stays tight.

F

I have a Gibraltar. Tones of accessories. You can find parts anywhere. Mine doesn't get dismantled, so I can't speak to taking it to gigs.

I have a Gibraltar, Yamaha Hex II, and a Pearl Icon.

The Hex rack is by far my favorite rack. The looks and design are second to none. It usually doesn't leave the home/studio. I would definitely recommend it if you have the money to spend.

I use my Pearl Icon for gigging....it's a great workhorse. I'm not a huge fan of the looks of the square tubes....but its solid as a rock.

I'm not a big fan of the Gibraltar. I used it for gigging before I got the icon. I found that it was always twisting and turning due to the round tubes. They are very affordable though.

I have a Gibraltar, Yamaha Hex II, and a Pearl Icon.

The Hex rack is by far my favorite rack. The looks and design are second to none. It usually doesn't leave the home/studio. I would definitely recommend it if you have the money to spend.

I use my Pearl Icon for gigging....it's a great workhorse. I'm not a huge fan of the looks of the square tubes....but its solid as a rock.

I'm not a big fan of the Gibraltar. I used it for gigging before I got the icon. I found that it was always twisting and turning due to the round tubes. They are very affordable though.
Echos my situation almost exactly, although I have no experience with the Gibraltar rack. We use the series I hexrack as a show rack. Two sided Icon as the gigging rack. It takes a beating, then comes back for more. General engineering on the Yamaha is clearly better though.

The twisting and turning "should" be fixed with memory locks. Never really had that problem. I used a lot of memory locks though.

thanks for your help guys, i am going to purchase the icon today (if he can set it up in store for me) and test it out for a few weeks, if i like it, i will most probably keep it but if i want to have the desire to modificate it in any way i like i will probably sell it on ebay for £150 so i can buy the gibraltar curved front rack. atleast then i will know which one i prefer.

Back