Saturns - g1 coated as reso?

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
Trying to decide whether to use my g1 coated heads on the batter side, or if I'm better off using them as reso's and replacing batters. I want to eliminate some highs.

Currently I have the stock ambassador clears on the reso side, which could probably be due for replacement (2yrs old). I don't really understsnd why using clear single ply heads are the common reso head choice.

It's also hard to decide because I have had coated ambassadors on the batter side and I really enjoyed them.

Thinking about trying ec2's on the batter side after hearing whoistony's rock tuning.

Try it out! Maybe on the 12" as a test. You could also try a thicker 1-ply like a G12, or go all the way and get a coated G12 or an Ambassador X (12 mil and no clear option). I'm not convinced on the whole 2-ply reso thing.

Oh sorry I confused you, the ec2's were for the batter side if I went ahead and used the g1 coated on the reso. I was interested to know why you would use coated reso heads instead of clear.

I've got g12's/Gplus on the batter side right now and I think I prefer g2's. I should have used them for reso's but it's too late now, they're all dinged up.

Coated reso heads will add even more warmth, a bit less sustain.
Correct. You'll lose a bit of reso head sustain, but it won't affect the length of note. G2 coated over G1 coated is a great combination IMO. Once you start getting into the dedicated pre muffled batter heads, in combination with a coated reso, it all starts getting too dead for me. Coating is a form of muffling after all. I'm pretty sure a coated two ply over coated one ply will suit the lower register favoured by the Saturns too :)

I imagined they would dry things out a little bit, it will hide my less than perfect tom tuning!

Thanks.

That's actually what I meant. I have a G12 as my floor tom reso right now and I would have no qualms using them on rack toms either. G14s might be a little much as a reso, but I'm sure there's an overproduced setting somewhere that could use them.

Okay.

I think the ambassadors/g1's are 10mil and the g12 is 12mil true?

What effect do you think it has as a reso, being a little bit thicker?

I think I'm in a coated batter head mood after all.

I just put the coated reso's on the 8 and 10 and they do seem to have a bit more tone but with a shorter note.

I'll go and get a 14 and 16.

Haven't really enjoyed these g12's as batter heads, I feel like the attack of them is a bit rubber-y or something.

I'm gonna poach the emperors that I have on my stage customs, they're very new.

Cheers for the insight!

I think they control the drum a little more. More mass, harder to excite. Ambassador Xs are 12mil as well (and X14s are 14mil) but for some reason Remo only makes them coated.

In my experience, the thicker heads tend to get more presence & attack. That certainly might not be what you prefer- for example, I definitely prefer the X14 on my snare to regular Ambassadors. They sound thin to me after using the X14, but of course that is desired for certain situations.

Not sure about presence but to me they sound more boingy. There's a purer sort of tone coming from the drum but they didn't have that audible slap you might get from other clear heads.

I just got the 14 and 16's on.

Wow the drums decay so much faster. I have the batters at around 75 and reso's about 80. I guess if they were evenly tuned they'd play longer notes but I'm almost thinking of putting clear resos back on and having g1 batters.

I'm really boring myself.

Back