John Bonham

Re: bonham fill

Well hopefully he didn't plan to just rip off the fill so I guess you could do it anyway we've suggested. That's beauty of that fill. It's fast enough that you can put your strokes in any order to achieve the result you want.

the part on stairway

16th note triplet Snare, 16th note triplet high tom, 16th note low tom, 8th note kick, repeat three times, then the last one just backwards.

The pattern isn't hard, it the 5 against 4 part that might be throwing you, you put 5 of those patterns into the space of 4 beats.

Its not hard, but its REALLY hard to make your kit sound like Bonham's.

stu's got it right guys. i have the led zep drum transcripts book and also the dvd.

its triplets in 16ths with some cross sticking. although he also sometimes throws in a double bass hit like a castanet but the bassic fill pattern is (triplets)

high tom....I ... .L. .R. .L.
floor tom...I ... ..R ..L ..R
snare.......I .LR ... ... ...
bass........I x.. x.. x.. x..
------------I -3- -3- -3- -3-

Notice the cross sticking in the third triplet...looks really cool on the video when he does it.
j

looking at those transcripts, I guess it could be played as 32nds with 16ths instead of 16thnote triplets and and 8th on the bass.

I was way wrong on the last one though....I thought it was just another of the same pattern just starting on the kick and going backwards..I see now its actually a sixtuplet pattern.

Ok, bonham has a LOT of fills.

But it doesnt matter how you transcribe them really.

There is a point where reading music becomes useless, and listening is the best way to learn something. I would say just listen to what he is doing, and try to get the dvd so you can see it.

Once you get the basic concept of using your foot in a linear mannor its not hard.

It really doesnt matter if it is a triplet or a sixteenth.

Mcot2 said:
Ok, bonham has a LOT of fills.

But it doesnt matter how you transcribe them really.

There is a point where reading music becomes useless, and listening is the best way to learn something. I would say just listen to what he is doing, and try to get the dvd so you can see it.

Once you get the basic concept of using your foot in a linear mannor its not hard.

It really doesnt matter if it is a triplet or a sixteenth.

Of course it matters if its a 16th note or a triplet, because they are different notes and different patterns. Unless you don't care if you are playing it accurately or not.
And reading is invaluable. At what point does it become 'useless'?

Doesn't Neil Peart's instructional video (on this site) show that basic fill, but Neil is referring to Steve Gadd doing the fill....it's the basic fill......yes?

Bonham Drum Tracks

Hi Everyone,

This just got posted over on Drumzilla's Lair, but I thought it was educational and worth posting here. Here are 23 drum tracks (isolated) from the album "In Through The Out Door" Apparently these were floating around the web awhile ago and then disapeared. Here they are again. These have been collected and put up on the web by the drummer from Neal & The Vipers.
I especially like tracks 22 & 23. Get 'em while their hot!

The Bonham Tracks: http://www.saladrecords.com/bonhamfiles.htm

Young Neal & The Vipers: http://www.saladrecords.com/

Re: Bonham Drum Tracks

thank you so much...your a good man i hope this are good tell me is there the fool in the rain snare outtake in the middle of Fool In The Rain where he does the rudiments

There was some degree of disagreement over whether these are actually Bonham, but I enjoyed them either way and tend towards thinking they probably are.

The guy who was hosting them originally got pissed off with people constantly emailing him demanding to know what they were, how he got them, details of recording dates etc when in reality he knew nothing and quite clearly stated on his page that he wasn't 100% these were Bonham at all... I got them back when they were up, anyway. There was a link to them off Matt Chamberlain's website.

finnhiggins said:
There was some degree of disagreement over whether these are actually Bonham, but I enjoyed them either way and tend towards thinking they probably are..

To my ear, I have no doubt that it is him. Some of the count offs and other vocal sputterings sound familiar too, like I've heard them on other Zep albums. Anyway, thanks for the fill in of information about these tracks. I never saw or heard them before yesterday, so I figured some of the people here hadn't seen them either. Like everybody else, I wonder what other audio and video is out there waiting to be discovered. ...Matt

Those drums are just thundering.
John Bonham has amazed me from beyond the grave once again!

BONHAM Great Drummer

Mr. Bonzo is to date my all time favorite drummer. not necissarly the most skilled drummer when it came to rudiments but it was all about the feel of listenin to his music. he puts u in the drivers seat. and his legendary right foot is amazing all of his work is done on a single bass drum witch was astounding back in the day and still today he inspires many kids to pick up sticks

Re: BONHAM Great Drummer

PearlDrummer014 said:
not necissarly the most skilled drummer when it came to rudiments but it was all about the feel of listenin to his music.

Even even though he may not have been good at rudiments, what does it really matter? Look past the technical mumbo-jumbo and look to see how natural and raw his playing was. Even Bonham said himself that it doesn't matter whether you can pull off a triple parradiddle during a show or not because no ones going to know but you.

And in the wise words of Jon Theodore of The Mars Volta, "There's no reason to study a rudiment unles
s you have a concept on how it can be applied to your life."

Last edited:
Re: John Bonham (Bonzo)

it is a mistake to use the words 'not' and 'skilled' in a sentence about john henry bonham. it reveals a lot about your ears and approach to drumming and nothing about the truth. john bonham is above negative comment here please.

like ringo and to some extent charlie...
don't bash bonzo.

no way, no how.

i have avoided describing my love for the guy but here goes:

John henry bonham.

probably the greatest rock drummer in history. his sound and approach are often shadowed by the sheer intensity of his choices. each song is a gem of drumming. you can listen to them over and over again and eventually you see how this genious drove the band...chose the unobvious and subtley made it obvious. everybody cites the moby dick, whole lotta love, levi breaks examples. but i have the complete boxed set and let me tell you there are those rarer songs where you see what an enormously creative guy he was.
listen to:

fool in the rain - one of the most beautiful purdy shuffles (better that roseanna IMO) that hi hat accent is perfectly placed and a bastard to mimick.

gallows pole - drumming only at the end of the song is an exciting blue grass (or is it motown?) that comes in on the off and then shifts back and forth like breathing.

stairway to heaven - also only near the end of the song some beautiful open grooving so orchestrated that no 30 seconds is the same. the figure he throws in at the end of that solo illuded me for years.

dazed and confused - the song that taught me blues drumming and also alerted me to the usefulness of triplets, starting huge fills in very odd places and riding on a crash cymbal.

good time bad times - the first song on the first record and look at how bonzo introduces himself to the world. a drummer's song. the broken one footed triplets, the power. the choice of groove.

black dog - did kieth moon ever do something so un-obvious? bonzo starts each phrase so off it is like a hiccup. then he releases the tension the third time around and goes on his ride. and then there those thunder crack like fills near the end of the song.

rock n' roll - a song with a hook of a start. and an ending that blisters the ear with enviable hand speed. best to watch it on disc two of the DVD. when robert plant grins and looks around at the end of the song it is becuase he knew his mate was about to do something awesome on a drum kit...

bonzo's montreaux - a more musical solo than moby dick. an everest for single bass-drum drummers to climb for sure.

four sticks - can anyone actually play this song? i heard even bonzo avoided it after he got it down on tape. its a monster.

heartbreaker - listen to the bass drum work in the fill at 2:00. wha? unfortunately badly recorded but listen carefully to how much is there.

celebration day - at 1:52 bonzo shows some masterful snare flams at incredible speed. the man was a master at rudiments.

rain song - for bonzos beautiful brushwork. a dynamics genious not just a basher. he uses brushes for the whole song even the parts where it sounds like sticks.

lemon song - beautiful gong start but LISTEN TO THE FILLS BETWEEN 5:13 AND 5:27 ... IF YOU ARE NOT YET A CONVINCED BONZO FAN, YOU WILL BE!!! According to the legend this was all done in one take and BEFORE 1970!

over the hills and far away - hi-hat foot work is exceptional. he holds it open for an unusual amount of time. and there in comes the groove. in this song his bass drum sound is wonderful. this is what i want my bassdrum to sound like. at 3:10ish you even hear his speedking squeak.

living loving maid - what a cool beat! i love the way the whole groove changes at 00:20, 00:54 and 1:27. this is a cool snare sound.

the crunge - odd times. 9/8 this is a terrible beat to try and copy.

and

the ocean - 17/8 (we've done for already but now we're steady and thyen they went one...two...three...four... what a count in.)

poor tom - i love this snare work and that bass drum punches it out undeniably. perfect control almost as if he looped it.

i could go on

and on...

he's my hero.
what can i say.

i don't model my drumming on bonzo (well not much). i model my creativity on him. when confronting a new song i think how bonzo would do it. i like to imagine he is watching me and that usually makes me kick up my drumming a notch.

j

Last edited:
Back