Is ddrum really as bad as people say?

I have been using DDrum for 6-7 years now, and had 3 kits from them. My first was the Diablo Punx - Yeah they say it is "9-ply mahogany" but in reality, only 1 ply would have been mahogany. It was a good kit for the price, and I had a few comments on it. I also drilled a huge vent in the snare and it sounded awesome live - not very good for the studio. I didn't have any problems with this kit really...

Second kit was the Diatribe - all birch shells. Better than the Diablo, but too much attack for my liking. I used that for a few years - no problem to report other than the bearing edges were a bit dodgy - but were flat!

Then we get to the Dios. What a load of garbage. Now, Ive seen a video review of this kit on youtube. There are so many design flaws with the Dios it's not even funny. For one of their better, top line kits, it is absolutely atrocious, and has put me off DDrum for life.

I've said this a few times in another post, but DDrum have used a different manufacturer for the Dominion, Dios, Reflex... Pretty much their newer stuff... And it shows! Ive had problems with seating brand new heads, getting the tension rods to go through the holes on the counter hoop and lining up with the lugs. I look down the side of the drum to see if the lugs are even straight... they aren't. Aside from the damage that was allegedly done in the post, there are major design flaws that need addressing by DDrum.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    330.5 KB · Views: 6,455
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    462.6 KB · Views: 4,833
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 4,962
I have a 5" x 14" 6-ply Maple ddrum snare that sounds wonderful. It does have some Q/C issues if you look close (like the lugs aren't straight)...luckily the t-rods still line up through the die cast hoops fine.

I have no issues tuning, just looks a little 'off' when you look closely at it.

My dad picked up a Punx kit for $100 that I was actually very impressed with the sound...I know it's a mix of mahogany (1-ply) and a bunch of basswood, but dang, that kick and toms had PUNCH! I really liked them, unfortunately, I think he sold them in Chicago this past weekend.

I have a 5" x 14" 6-ply Maple ddrum snare that sounds wonderful. It does have some Q/C issues if you look close (like the lugs aren't straight)...luckily the t-rods still line up through the die cast hoops fine.

I have no issues tuning, just looks a little 'off' when you look closely at it.

My dad picked up a Punx kit for $100 that I was actually very impressed with the sound...I know it's a mix of mahogany (1-ply) and a bunch of basswood, but dang, that kick and toms had PUNCH! I really liked them, unfortunately, I think he sold them in Chicago this past weekend.

If I am being honest, I was more impressed with the Diablo Punx than I was with the Dios M. Sounds retarded, but, It was just a better kit! OK, the parts were cheap... but are aren't wrong about the kick. Everyone loved that kick drum! Even the sound guys liked it, even with no muffling at all (just the EMADs). I used the same combination on the Dios, and it really did sound like crap.

Hey typo, let us know how you like your reflexes.

Alder wood is interesting, and I give ddrum credit for "thinking outside the box". As an aside, I played on some Reflex kits and I can tell you that (at least with the stock heads) they were pretty much ALL attack, with virtually no sustain or warmth.

I have a good friend who works for a large music store, and he has told me that the ddrum stuff prior to 2010 was pretty bad on quality control. Lug screws stripping, lugs crooked and the list goes on and on. He told me though that in the last year, he has seen virtually none of those issues, so maybe ddrum is starting to do "the little things" they had previously ignored.

I had fun fooling around with a d3 jazz kit at that store. With a little bit of tuning work, even the stock heads sounded fairly decent.

Am I the only one picking up a common theme here, shipping damage? It seems as if every other kit is mysteriously damaged in transit. Either Ddrum are very unlucky/their packaging needs reviewing, or some of this really isn't shipping damage at all. I'm also referring to the related thread about Ddrum/23rd street music and their policy of selling damaged/seconds goods. Ah, you get what you pay for, if you're lucky.

Woot 1st post!

Anywhooo, I own a Ddrum Defiant kit, grey sparkle with two 22x18 kicks and I only have great things to say about the noise they make with the stock heads none-the-less. They make crap in my brothers room fall off the shelves haha. The toms also make a good noise (once tuned with good heads *pritty much any head other than the stock ones) they are now warm and have good low end sustain. I have evans EC2's on all of them, and the stock remo u.k. reso heads. Correct me if im wrong but i believe they are all basswood. The only bad thing i have to say is the lugs and tom mounts... They detune themselves lol and the nuts on the bolts from the mounts I just noticed the other day *had this kit for about a year now, are coming loose, but lock tight fixed them and now are solid. All in all its a great sounding kit and other than a minor flaw its great.

Hey typo, let us know how you like your reflexes.

Alder wood is interesting, and I give ddrum credit for "thinking outside the box". As an aside, I played on some Reflex kits and I can tell you that (at least with the stock heads) they were pretty much ALL attack, with virtually no sustain or warmth.

I have a good friend who works for a large music store, and he has told me that the ddrum stuff prior to 2010 was pretty bad on quality control. Lug screws stripping, lugs crooked and the list goes on and on. He told me though that in the last year, he has seen virtually none of those issues, so maybe ddrum is starting to do "the little things" they had previously ignored.

I had fun fooling around with a d3 jazz kit at that store. With a little bit of tuning work, even the stock heads sounded fairly decent.
Hey, sorry for getting back so late.

Well, my opinions are mixed right now. First thing I'd like to clear up is that the hardware is fine. The biggest complaint I hear about ddrums is that the hardware isn't any good. This isn't true at all; the snare strainer is excellent, as are the tom mounts. The drums and hoops seem to be in round, the bearing edges are good, and the wrap isn't doing anything strange.

Unfortunately, I can't give that much praise to the sound. Sitting behind the kit, the drums sound fine. Stand out in front, and the toms sound very cold, not a whole lot of body, just like you said. Keep in mind, however, that I am running Aquarian Super 2's with Studio-X rings (http://www.aquariandrumheads.com/products/super-2-series) on the batters which could be contributing to the lack of resonance. I'm hoping to replace the tom heads with either clear or smooth white Emperors in attempt to improve tone. Also read my post about the tom head not fitting, which I think might be affecting tone in some way.

I've never played one of their kits, but I have one of those Golf Ball snares; Busted a lug on the 2nd gig, so I'm not very impressed... Didn't sound bad, but not very durable.

I cant speak for the kits but have owned a few and still own a couple snares.. the cheap $100 golf ball is probably with the exception of a used acrolite one of the best $100 back-up snares I have owned..it really has a great sound (with a piece of moon gel).. I own one of there top of the line Dios Bamboo snares and though I see the bearing edges are not perfect its a real nice drum..great bamboo rims that are super loud and durable.. dunnett throw..and a great low end thats hard to get with maple.. they cost $600..I got mine for well less then half of that new and it worth every cent I paid for it..

You know, that's a freaking riot that somebody would say something like this because MF/GC sells just about every drumset on the planet so why in the world , if I'm a GC salesman would i jock ddrum when i could make twice the commission selling a Tama or a Sonor?

FYI, to all, I wrote the 2nd product review on this page:
http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/product/ddrum-Dios-Bubinga-5Piece-Shell-Pack?sku=490461

I own the kit and just so everyone knows, I don't work for ANY music store, hehe.

bubinga13.jpg

soon to be legendary.

LMAO, man you take posing to a whole new level brother, you have a double kick, and a double pedal with no pedal on the second kick? Wow, just wow. I was wondering why the kicks were so far apart, like you would have to do the splits to operate those kicks, I see why now, cause you run a double pedal. BWAAAAAhaaa. Sorry dude, I normally don't slag people here, but that is f'n priceless.

I can speak for the ddrum Duo Fade toms.
I bought three of them on eBay and I made a kit around them with a Pearl Forum bass drum and a Black Panther snare.
I have had no problem with the toms.
They play perfectly fine and I love this kit that I put together.
I didn't play it for about 6 months and I just set it back up this week. I was playing my other kits.
I can't stop playing it!

Attachments

• 1105001921.jpg
    1105001921.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 4,273
  • 1105001922.jpg
    1105001922.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 4,316
  • 1105001922a.jpg
    1105001922a.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 4,420
Last edited:
hey they GOTTA be good if carmine appice endorses them, and he doesn't take endorsements lightly..... :) :) :) :)

I can speak for the ddrum Duo Fade toms.
I bought three of them on eBay and I made a kit around them with a Pearl Forum bass drum and a Black Panther snare.
I have had no problem with the toms.
They play perfectly fine and I love this kit that I put together.
I didn't play it for about 6 months and I just set it back up this week. I was playing my other kits.
I can't stop playing it!
Are those Aquarian heads?

Are those Aquarian heads?
Yes I use Aquarian, Evans, and Remo heads on all of my kits in various configurations,
I think that those are the Studio X Coated on the toms in those pics.
I am using Evans EC 1 Coated on those toms at the moment

The toms are maple and they have cast hoops They have nice edges with a back cut.
The finish is fine for what you pay.
I don't see the issues with ddrum that people claim???
Believe me, If they were bad drums I would be the first to complain.

Last edited:
Yes I use Aquarian, Evans, and Remo heads on all of my kits in various configurations,
I think that those are the Studio X Coated on the toms in those pics.
I am using Evans EC 1 Coated on those toms at the moment

The toms are maple and they have cast hoops They have nice edges with a back cut.
The finish is fine for what you pay.
I don't see the issues with ddrum that people claim???
Believe me, If they were bad drums I would be the first to complain.

Thanks for getting back. I was curious because I've had problems with my Aquarian heads being too tight on my ddrum Reflex. Thread here.

Thanks for getting back. I was curious because I've had problems with my Aquarian heads being too tight on my ddrum Reflex. Thread here.
I read your thread a few days ago. I have never had a problem with heads fitting on my ddrum toms.

LMAO, man you take posing to a whole new level brother, you have a double kick, and a double pedal with no pedal on the second kick? Wow, just wow. I was wondering why the kicks were so far apart, like you would have to do the splits to operate those kicks, I see why now, cause you run a double pedal. BWAAAAAhaaa. Sorry dude, I normally don't slag people here, but that is f'n priceless.

Um if you noticed he has a drum muffling pads on majority of his kit. I am assuming that due to neighbours, family, bothersome people etc that he has to play quietly and has therefore put on drum mufflers. I am guessing he only has one bass drum muffler and has put it on one bass drum but still wanted to be able to play two bass drums, hence using a double pedal instead of two singles. He probably just left the other drum set up for ease, or for times when he could play un muffled and wanted both kicks rather than a double pedal.
Maybe think a little bit before "slagging" someone next time :)
Jackson

I just pulled the trigger on a new Reflex shell pack off ebay. I had some reservations, but after seeing and hearing the kit .. I wondered why all the hate for ddrum?, The Reflex is amazing.. getting mine delivered this Thurs!

I have a miss-match Ddrum set, Defiant 10 ad 12 toms, Dominion limited Ed 14X12 and Dios 16x14.

Defiant's are very clear sounding and not, box-y at all, very musical actually. I have to say the Dominion doesn't sound quite right, it's a little dead for a maple tom if I'm honest, but the Dios, also maple, sounds superb.

Back