List of worthwhile Drum kits!

Ctccromer

For several weeks now I've been looking around trying to decide what drum kit I want to get, to replace my current set. At first I wanted a 7-piece, but now I kinda just want better quality, and maybe get lucky and it be one of the kits with a "free" 6th tom. But anyways, I want to make a list of all the Intermediate or (cheaper) Pro kits that are worth the money :)

So far we have:
PDP X7's
Gretsch Catalina (maple)
Sonor Force 3007

Also, I'd like to know: Are the PDP M5's and/or FS's good? I've only ever heard great things about PDP (and DW, other than waiting), and have looked at these. It looks like the only difference between them is Birch (m5) and Maple (fs). I like Harder Modern Rock, some Metal, Fusion Jazz, and that kinda stuff, so which wood would fit better (and why)?

my budget is only about 600 for a shell back for 700 with hardware, but I'd like a list for anything under 1,000. If nothing else, just to look at. But, yes that is my list.

Also, has anyone heard these in person? They sound nice on the video, but i have no idea if theyre worth it. The number of drums for the price is kinda suspicious, but I've not found a single review on this specific set
http://cgi.ebay.com/Custom-Classic-...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item518a4c1337

As for this custom birch kit I have not heard them personally, I have a yamaha kit that is birch and it sounds amazing. You may want to look at the yamaha stage customs you can get them for a decent price and they are Yamaha...GREAT Kits! I saw a guy post something about this kit that you are asking about and you might do a search of the forum and ask the guy personally.

my budget is only about 600 for a shell back for 700 with hardware, but I'd like a list for anything under 1,000. If nothing else, just to look at. But, yes that is my list.

Also, has anyone heard these in person? They sound nice on the video, but i have no idea if theyre worth it. The number of drums for the price is kinda suspicious, but I've not found a single review on this specific set
http://cgi.ebay.com/Custom-Classic-...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item518a4c1337

I can't add anything concerning the set you link to but a quality set that fits your budget is the Yamaha Stage Custom mentioned in a previous post. Several months ago I was able to pick up a new set with hardware for $599 US. The kit looks great and the all birch shells sing real nice. The hardware is top notch. You could certainly do worse.

Good luck!

where would it be 500 with hardware? the best ive seen is 650 for shell pack and free drum rack (guitar center deal goin on right now)

Unless you're buying used, you won't find pro level drums for $600-$700.​
Log onto eBay, and type in any brand name (examples, Gretsch, Mapex, Sonor, Ludwig, Pearl, Tama, Yamaha, etc.) followed by the words "drum set". You will soon figure out what $600-$700 will buy.​
Someone on the forum was posting about "Custom Classic" a while ago. They're really "to new" to the scene to know much about them. But any of the drums mentioned, will give you 10 years service (at least), and then you'll be better able to assess your drum needs "as a drummer". My personal preference would be Yamaha.​

Check ebay I got my yamaha stage custom advantage for $399 bucks and the guy lived local so it was a steal! I did happen to see them on other sites for the price mentioned earlier, just type in Yamaha Stage Custom Advantage and look around the deal for this kit is out there both new and used...GOOD LUCK and SEARCH HARD. Yamaha is NICE

where would it be 500 with hardware? the best ive seen is 650 for shell pack and free drum rack (guitar center deal goin on right now)

Okay, thanks ^^ Also, i do check CraigsList daily, and Ebay every few days. I have 2 quick questions.
1. Just because I really like PDP and so I'll know.. with my budget, i could get M5's or FS's (maple vs birch). Are they any good compared to the other sets listed?
2. Would http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=993450 work with this http://drums-percussion.musiciansfr...m-Birch-Drum-Set-with-22-Bass-Drum?sku=491533?

Current list:
PDP X7's
Gretsch Catalina (maple)
Sonor Force 3007
Mapex Pro M
Yamaha Stage Custom

$599 with hardware at my local shop back in October. At the time Yamaha was also giving a hardware rebate that included two extra cymbal stands.

I play the PDP X-7's with Evans G1 Coated batter heads and G1 resonant heads. After nearly 2 years, they still sound fantastic. Below are some of the issues:

• 12" and 14" toms fall out of tune very quickly. I will tune before every show and in most cases, these two will be the only drums consistently out of tune.
  • Use high-end heads and if possible die-cast hoops. The stock heads simply blow and the stock hoops are too pliable, causing the drums to lose tuning quickly.
  • The sweet spot for these drums is VERY narrow. DW Collectors and other high-end professional level kits have a significantly wider tuning range.
  • Tune them low. They do not respond well to higher frequency tuning at all and will appear very choked.
  • Replace the bass drum legs/spurs with higher end hardware. The legs will wobble after just a few shows.

Hope that helped!

For several weeks now I've been looking around trying to decide what drum kit I want to get, to replace my current set. At first I wanted a 7-piece, but now I kinda just want better quality, and maybe get lucky and it be one of the kits with a "free" 6th tom. But anyways, I want to make a list of all the Intermediate or (cheaper) Pro kits that are worth the money :)

So far we have:
PDP X7's
Gretsch Catalina (maple)
Sonor Force 3007

Also, I'd like to know: Are the PDP M5's and/or FS's good? I've only ever heard great things about PDP (and DW, other than waiting), and have looked at these. It looks like the only difference between them is Birch (m5) and Maple (fs). I like Harder Modern Rock, some Metal, Fusion Jazz, and that kinda stuff, so which wood would fit better (and why)?

Corecct me if im wrong, but aren't M5's just a 5 piece version of the X7's? Cuz thats what it looks like, and M5's are definitly not birch

If I had my choice of a PDP or Yamaha it would be the Yamaha hands down. Excellent build quality and great hardware.

Midwest has 5 piece shell pack for $599 with hardware $799 with free shipping

http://www.midwestpercussion.com/drums/acoustic/yamaha/index.html

I know guitar center and sam ash have been having sales, like $50 off a purchase over $299 and 20% off your purchase so keep your eyes peeled there as well.

Back