Dark Cabaret

Nuka

A genre that's been around since the early naughties, does anyone listen to or play within this genre? How do we feel about the drumming involved, or some of the names involved?

Artists involved include (but not limited to, and not all are drummers; many have guests):

Voltaire: Brian Viglione drums
Dresden Dolls: Brian Viglione drums
Amanda Palmer: Brian Viglione, Mike Mcquilken drum
Birdeatsbaby: Katha Rothe drums
Stolen Babies: Gil Sharone drums
Rozz Williams
Jill Tracey
Emilie Autumn: drum machine though some have remixed her songs with live drums

Personally, after moving away from metal as an influence, I picked up more on what Brian Viglione was doing, and he lead me back (via an album he did with N.I.N) to alternative metals etc.

I've gotta say I think the genre has helped shaped how I drum a lot more than anything else I've listened to, and I think it's because it's like an odd mix of Goth, funk, punk and jazzy bits rolled into a nice, audible ball.

I'm a big fan of Voltaire, and I've seen him in person numerous times.
Funny story, when my oldest son was a tiny baby, the only way we could get him to take a nap was to put on Voltaire. ha!

But when Voltaire tours on the West Coast, he doesn't bring a band, he does solo acoustic. So I've never seem him with a drummer.

I've seen Stolen Babies several times. I want to like them, but I can't quite get into them.

My favorite recording of myself is a (very) cheaply done cover of a Rozz Williams song (technically, a Christian Death cover) a band I was in did some years back. it was supposed to appear on a Rozz Williams tribute album, but some how, that didn't happen.
A week before he hung himself, he was actually at a gig my other old band was playing at.

Rozz is quoted as being like, one of the 80's preludes to DC. In the sense that that's the form of Goth that DC came from. But that's quite a story!

I've seen Voltaire, AFP and EA live, and I could be making an appearance in a BEB video.

Voltaire live is an odd one. Yeah, mainly solo, but on the Black Unicorn and Bitrektual albums, and the one in progress atm he has Brian playing, and of course has drums on many tracks before that.

Rozz is quoted as being like, one of the 80's preludes to DC. In the sense that that's the form of Goth that DC came from. But that's quite a story!

Oh, the story gets better!

So this band I was in just for the fun of it did a cover of "Luxury of Tears" as this tribute to to the late Rozz.
We're playing it this little club. Gitane Demone, who played on the original recording, walks in. She comes to the front of the stage, and gets overwhelmed with emotion (as it's rather sad song). So William Faith (who was also in Christian Death for a while) walks over to her to console her.

My first and only time performing a cover in front of the original artists.

Wow... what was the aftermath chat with them like?

Wow... what was the aftermath chat with them like?

I honestly don't recall.

I more remember getting steamed at the bass player for hitting on my wife after the show. LOL.

It was a surreal experience on stage. I'm looking at Gitane, Gitane started to cry, which almost made me want to cry (and I really have no connection to Rozz). But I had a click going on in my headphones, so I had to hold it together for that (I did).

Back