Snares

For rock, metal and country I use a 14x7. It's loud and gives me a huge fat backbeat.

For gospel, funk and contemporary jazz. I use a few different snares depending on the vibe I'm feeling for the set. That could be any 10, 12, 13 or even 14 x 3 piccolo snare.

Whatever vibe you are digging is cool. If you doing studio work for someone they may flat out tell you what sound they want so a good selection of snare drums at your disposal is always a good thing.

I use different snares for different occasions. Usually, it's a preference thing, but sometimes it depends on the room, the style, or the overall timbre of the group I'm playing with and how to blend/contrast with what I hear. Sometimes, it's just which snare I want to play with that day.

My answer is basically the same as caddy's.
I also have some inexpensive snares that I use for practice.
I often leave these drums at houses where I practice along with practice kits.
I don't want to leave an expensive snare with a practice kit.
Same goes for gigs. Some gigs don't require an expensive snare so why bring one.
If it's a low paying gig I bring an inexpensive kit and snare.

Trick, If you put a Powerstroke 3 on a cheap snare drum it can sound pretty good in a live setting.

I've come up with many different explanations as to why one snare is 'better' than another for a given situation. I can make all sorts of justifications as to why "the Black Beauty is a better musical choice than the Supra, in this room or for this band" etc.

Sometimes I genuinely believe it (or at least manage to convince myself I do), but for the most part I think it comes down to this.......

Sometimes, it's just which snare I want to play with that day.

For rock, metal and country I use a 14x7. It's loud and gives me a huge fat backbeat.

For gospel, funk and contemporary jazz. I use a few different snares depending on the vibe I'm feeling for the set. That could be any 10, 12, 13 or even 14 x 3 piccolo snare.

Whatever vibe you are digging is cool. If you doing studio work for someone they may flat out tell you what sound they want so a good selection of snare drums at your disposal is always a good thing.

metal or wood please on that 14x7??? thanks.

Same goes for gigs. Some gigs don't require an expensive snare so why bring one.
If it's a low paying gig I bring an inexpensive kit and snare.

That's why I originally got my 1970 Ludwig kit...it was going to be my "cheap" gigging kit. I've gotten SO much mileage from it, from cheap bar/restaurant gigs to playing in front of 2,700 people who paid $75 a seat.

...but, the snare is interchangeable...

I play my 14x6.5 brass for most playing with the following exceptions:

I use a 14x5 maple for lower volume gigs where I want a tight and poppy crack for when we're doing POP songs and some R&B.

I use my 14x5.5 bronze when I need to have my loudest snare because everybody's going to crank it up real loud.

I play my 13x7 maple when I'm going to use my Gretsch bop sizes kit. It looks great with the kit and it's a little higher in pitch but still has a fat sound with the depth. Great for rock where I'm not amplified but I don't have to be as loud as when I play loud rock with the aforementioned loud guitar players.

I play my 14x6.5 brass for most playing with the following exceptions:

I use a 14x5 maple for lower volume gigs where I want a tight and poppy crack for when we're doing POP songs and some R&B.

I use my 14x5.5 bronze when I need to have my loudest snare because everybody's going to crank it up real loud.

I play my 13x7 maple when I'm going to use my Gretsch bop sizes kit. It looks great with the kit and it's a little higher in pitch but still has a fat sound with the depth. Great for rock where I'm not amplified but I don't have to be as loud as when I play loud rock with the aforementioned loud guitar players.

what makes you like the brass and what does that size do for ya as opposed to a shallower one? thanks for your answer.

Back