Hurricane Harvey

JohnnyG

Honorary Lifetime CEO
Staff member
Looks like this storm is going to cause havoc. Are any of the forums members in the line of this storm. Best wishes and be safe if you are close.

I'm in Houston so we're just looking at a lot of rain. The people further down the coast are in for a nightmare. My fiancé and I are watching CNN at the moment and an emergency management organization in Corpus has asked that the people in Corpus and the surrounding areas who have not evacuated to write their name and social security number on their forearms.

Over here in New Orleans they're watching it closely due to the possibility of flooding in the city from outer rain bands.
The sharpie marker on the forearm is actually a good idea. Not that people plan to die but bad things happen to good people at times, and even if someone is injured/ incapacitated it helps the emergency response crews to know age, blood type etc... We went through that after Katrina struck in '05.

Good luck with the storm folks.

Like one of Texas' finest once sang:

"Couldn't stand the weather!"

WE are getting the leftovers from Harvey here in Monroe,La.
At this point, Harvey has diminished to a Tropical Depression, still dumping a lot of rain, mostly on the TX/LA state line, most of the western part of the state of La. will take the most of it.
We expect to see 15" of rain over the next several days and La. is now declared in a state of emergency.

Everyone stay safe down in the Texas/Louisiana area!

It's never easy to extract the right words for a time like this, but my thoughts are with all.

The only advice I can offer Texans that are flooded and need to make an insurance claim... Please shut up, and call an attorney.

Respectfully...

A part of my family is in the public adjusting business, and doing extraordinarily well. They can make big money, like $250,000, off one storm. It's sick how fast my brother in law accumulated wealth doing the PA thing. I'm pretty sure they would recommend a PA before an attorney in the case of a homeowners claim. PA's specialize in knowing your insurance policy inside out and backwards.

The PA's have relationships with the big insurance company adjusters. They all know each other. The insurance company adjusters know they can't dupe a PA into accepting less than the homeowner is entitled to. That's their business, the PA's...going to bat for you to your insurance company, to get you everything your policy promises, that you may not know you're entitled to.

One of the many issues here is that most people have a home owners policy, but most do not have flood insurance, and most of the claims will be for flood waters.

One of the many issues here is that most people have a home owners policy, but most do not have flood insurance, and most of the claims will be for flood waters.

Very true. I would hope the people would have flood insurance in an area like that. Floods aren't covered in normal policies.

I am in central Louisiana, and we are going to get some very bad rain tonight. It will not be as bad as it was when we got a hurricane that came straight at us (Gustav). Peace and goodwill.

My wife works out of Houston regularly. Luckily she is up here with me in Salt Lake City right now, though. She heads back on Thursday...we'll see if her cars parked down there sustained any damage.
We're about to head out on tour, and our first stops are Amarillo and Denton/Dallas, so we've put out the word that we'll bring rescue supplies to Texas from anyone up here that wants to donate since we have extra room in our trailer.

Best of luck to any and all in Harvey's path. I've never experienced a full-blown hurricane myself, but it must be really scary. I was in Newfoundland when Katrina hit and just the aftermath that we got way up north after the storm had powered down was bad enough. Flooded half the town and everybody's roof leaked. A buddy and myself spent 3 days pumping out people's basements. In some cases, people's houses were swept away altogether or the land they were built on washed away and the houses collapsed.

Harvey seems to be moving very slowly. We will probably have the worst of what we will get later tonight. Peace and goodwill.

Back