Little help transcribing this nice cowbell groove- Rutboyniles?

Toolate

Platinum Member
Hoping someone can help with this- been working on it but never really transcribed anything other than some simpler beats or fills so its a little challenging.

Hoping the author will show up (username rutboyniles from Youtube) and help out because I think hes a member here. I also think that he plays it several ways through his demonstrations without really realizing it so that might be adding to my confusion.

Anyway, after the double stroke on the bell (1 & 2 &a, I fall apart. Not sure if those last 3 bell hits are on the &'s or a's which I think is the source of my confusion- 4/4, 6/8? THink I have been staring at it too long....help!

Its a great little groove to look at even if you dont want to help.. Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muqJIrsTcGM

Wouldnt mind learning to transcribe on a computer based program if there was a free/cheap one that anyone recommends either!

First measure:

Play on 1, 2, 3, the & of 3, 4. Total of 5 notes

Second measure:

Play on 1, the & of 2, 4. Total of 3 notes.

The problem you may be having is the beat is swung. That means the pulse is 1 triplet, 2 triplet, 3 triplet, 4 triplet. So the 'and' of the beats are really on the third triplet of the beat.

Also, it may help to learn something about clave in latin music. This is a variation of 2-3 clave.

Hope this helps.

I just listened/watched the clip quickly and have not attempted to transcribe it for you but it sounds like the typical "go-go beat" after the double stroke on the bell.

Its still a 4/4 beat but clearly it is swinging like any go-go style beat.

I know this doesn't help much... I'll try to transcribe it for you a little later. But keep in mind it wont sound right just playing it from notation - you must swing it (delay the notes) in order for it to sound right.. I hope this makes sense.

I just listened/watched the clip quickly and have not attempted to transcribe it for you but it sounds like the typical "go-go beat" after the double stroke on the bell.

Its still a 4/4 beat but clearly it is swinging like any go-go style beat.

I know this doesn't help much... I'll try to transcribe it for you a little later. But keep in mind it wont sound right just playing it from notation - you must swing it (delay the notes) in order for it to sound right.. I hope this makes sense.

Azslim already broke it down perfectly

Makes sense- I hear that now that you say it.. I would love to see the transcription if you would still be willing.

Glad to hear that its not just a simple little thing. That is one complicated little groove for my beginner ear but so tasty. Hope you agree.

Thanks for the help!

Oh and I got the L foot part.... not that I can play it but I get it at least.

Back