Next size up from a 5B stick?

toothie96

I'm worried of sounding like a complete novice with this, but i'm just completely stuck. So here it goes...

I've played with Vic Firth 5B/5BN's for as long as i can remember. They're just about right for everything i've played, and they've suited me well. Yet march last year i bought a new kit, and i've found that i'm breaking far more sticks than what is 'normal'. I've come to the conclusion that the sticks aren't as strong as what's needed for this kit.

I've trawled the internet looking for a size guide, but to no avail. I need a pair of sticks that are the next strongest to the 5B's. So what is the next size up from a 5B?

Thanks in advance!

2Bs are thicker.

But seriously, if you're breaking 5Bs you're doing something wrong and probably injuring yourself too.

To my mind if you're even just splitting and splintering sticks you're hitting things wrong

I'll go along by saying 2B and 3A too, but there's also Vic Firth SD1 General, approximately like a 2B, slightly larger diameter and longer with a round tip, and fairly light for such sticks (maple).

Try changing technique before sticks. If you are breaking it near the tip or shoulder, check all your cymbal angles they are probably chewing it apart. If it is breaking where you do rimshots in the middle of the stick I've found a little electrical tape doesn't affect feel and keeps them from shattering. Also try to buy the most knotty looking sticks, they are tougher.

You can also look into different hoops like stick savers (haven't tried them but heard good things) or you can look into promark's oak sticks, I used them for awhile they are heavier for the same size and much tougher, though they are more likely to fail without any notice (they shatter instead of chip) but I got tired of the feel and I heard that Dennis Chambers had to stop using them because his doctor said they transfer too much energy into his hand.

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys!

I don't think it's my technique that's so much the problem, but i think something to do with having my toms quite flat is a large culprit. Which is a shame, because i'm so used to 5B's. I am however going to try some 2B's, and see if these are any better. So thanks for your help!

There's no firm rules about what label equates to what stick weight. It's mostly just de facto guidelines, and some manufacturers (e.g. Promark) don't even use the old 7A, 5A, 5B, etc. names all that much.

I think most manufacturers put specs on their web sites, so you can find out your current sticks' specs and then compare other sticks from the same and other stick makers.

There are quite a few things to consider:
wood type
length
weight
diameter
tip material
tip shape
finish
price
availability

If you love Vic Firth's 5B's, you should try the HD9's. They have very similar balance to that of the 5B but they're a bit thicker and longer.

You can always try Japanese Oak sticks, I dunno about other brands, but Promark makes some. I have only ever broken one pair of them, the rest I stopped using when they looked way too worn out to last.

Last October I bought three or four pairs of their 747, and I am still on the first pair. I use a lot of rim shots, and play with my cymbals laid flat. I like them, though they are thinner than my usual 5a/b or 2b sticks.

I play 5a's and since I got die cast hoops on my snare I have been shredding them!
Literally a brand new stick last me like between 1 and 3 45 minute sets

I play hard and have my snare flat and pretty much rimshot every back beat, but my technique is fine (as far as I know)

maybe it's time to move to a 5B- they just feel too thick and heavy for me- might try a 55A first

Sorry for the thread hijack

Try a Vater Fatback 3A they are a nice step up from 5b. The rim shots are part of great snare technique, don't let people influence you too much.

Try the Vic Firth Danny Carey signature sticks..If you break those you have problems. Oak sticks are solid as well.

Put a little slant to your toms and solve your problems the easy way. Flat toms are not making you better but costing you money. Changing drums did not break your sticks. How you have them set up did.

Back