Possibitly of marching WGI with little marching drill exp?

NotQuiteMyTempo

I am thinking of trying out for a WGI corps this year. I have some pretty good chops but that’s not what I am worried about the thing that worries me is my marching drill experience. My high school doesn’t have the best marching band program out there (excellent symphonic band though:D ), Very basic stuff left haste, right haste, parade rest etc. So I am worried that if I do make a corps I am going to have a really hard time with the marching aspect. In a perfect world were I had the chops and everything would my lack of marching drill experience be a problem. Thanks

p.s I dont know if this is the best place to ask WGI/DCI related questions but i asked on snarescience a while back and never got a replay. Guess theres no better place to look for expertise than Drummerworld its self :)

I am thinking of trying out for a WGI corps this year. I have some pretty good chops but that’s not what I am worried about the thing that worries me is my marching drill experience. My high school doesn’t have the best marching band program out there (excellent symphonic band though:D ), Very basic stuff left haste, right haste, parade rest etc. So I am worried that if I do make a corps I am going to have a really hard time with the marching aspect. In a perfect world were I had the chops and everything would my lack of marching drill experience be a problem. Thanks

p.s I dont know if this is the best place to ask WGI/DCI related questions but i asked on snarescience a while back and never got a replay. Guess theres no better place to look for expertise than Drummerworld its self :)

Don't worry about it. Just like your playing, they'll polish any flaws you might have with your feet. Even if you *did* have lots of experience with drill, they'd still change you to "their" way, so it's probably good you don't have a lot of experience.

Just go, march, play, and have fun. :)

Your hands will be the most important thing. If you can play, you'll be fine. They'll teach drill basics if you earn a spot in the group.

I never marched indoor, but I did DCI for a few years and had a lot of friend who were in WGI, and my understanding was always that they are far less concerned with drill style in WGI than they are in DCI. WGI is only on the weekends in the winter, there are no lines on the floor, etc. It's more about ramming a million notes and performing than having impeccable marching technique.

Good luck!

Back