Tama Imperialstar inside paint?

opentune

Platinum Member
Did all Imperialstars have the inside 'granitone' paint? Any years use a different paint, and/or did they ever not paint?
Trying to tell a 16 floor tom shell (6 ply, mahogany) without any lugs, badges etc and no wrap. Its Tama, but not sure if a Rockstar or Imperialstar... (def not Superstar). It has whitish paint inside (but not granitone) .

Anybody help me out? I know we have some Tama experts out there, and I cannot find and pour through the many old online catalogs.

The Imperialstar Zola-coat interior paint stopped in the mid 80's.Granitone was actually a Ludwig thing.Tama used 9ply Imperialstar shells up untill that time,then went to a thinner composite 6 ply shell of "quality hardwood".

Imperialstars were always wrapped,but Rockstars were made with both wrapped and lacquer finishes.

Steve B

Thanks! I see.
I just used 'granitone' as an approximation ot the bland white porridge coloured stuff.
It actually looks like this, (pic is better) sort of a whitewash, and yes its a lacquered shell actually (not a great one in appearance)

tamaimpstarin_zps4d9fc43a.jpg

Seems it shall be a Rockstar. It is 6 ply.

Back