Drilling holes for floor tom bracket?

nicotine25

I recently acquired a 13"x16" Gretsch Catalina Birch rack mount floor tom which now completes my set. The only problem is that I do not want it to hang... I want to attach floor tom legs. I just ordered 12.7mm legs and I have a bunch of gretsch 12.7mm brackets that I have taken off the "rims" suspension mounts of the drums I am not using...(the 8", 10" and the new 16")...all I need to know is what size drill bit to use? Anybody have any suggestions?
Thanks
-Nick

I recently acquired a 13"x16" Gretsch Catalina Birch rack mount floor tom which now completes my set. The only problem is that I do not want it to hang... I want to attach floor tom legs. I just ordered 12.7mm legs and I have a bunch of gretsch 12.7mm brackets that I have taken off the "rims" suspension mounts of the drums I am not using...(the 8", 10" and the new 16")...all I need to know is what size drill bit to use? Anybody have any suggestions?
Thanks
-Nick

... use the one that fits.

On the back of the mount there should be 2 threaded pieces where the screws attach that will be just larger in diameter than the screws. Measure or hold a drill bit next to the tab, I'll call it a tab, and match the diameter. Drill from the out side in and out a wood block on the inside of the shell to keep the hole from splintering the inside layer of wood. The mount should then fit inside the drilled holes and fit flush against the shell on the out side.

Awesome....Gruntersdad...Thanks! Thats what I pretty much figured. Just wanted to be sure I didn't FUBAR anything.

I would use the rubber gaskets that came with the mounts, if you have them, for hole guides. Tape the gasket on the drum and measure two or three times to be sure, then mark the holes on the shell, remove the gaskets and drill as I mentioned above.

Awesome....Gruntersdad...Thanks! Thats what I pretty much figured. Just wanted to be sure I didn't FUBAR anything.

I would avoid drilling holes in your precious drums. Gauger Percussion makes the Dyna-Mount, which provides suspension mounting for floor-sitting toms. This is basically a lug-type suspension mount except instead of attaching to a tom arm, it has three legs and sits on the floor.

The ''problem'' with the dynamount is its weight and size round the shell.

i have one for my 16 and it sustains sweet but the weight and seize made me order retro fit legs for my Oaks and sell the Dyna.

Well, it sounds like you are making a well-informed choice, as you have used a Dyna-mount. I just hate the idea of drilling holes in musical instruments!

The Dyna-mount can't weigh that much, can it? It's aluminum. But it does add to the diameter.

so trrough about rather not want to drill, but I noticed over the years I don't like hanging floor and it cuts the sustain. after used the Dynamount for a few years and it,s just not a thing for me and I dont want to loose money in buying floors (and the extra depth that comes with them)

Btw Im not going to drill myself. I leave that up to a craftsman ;)

Well I went ahead and drilled the shell. I measured like 10 times before hand...just to be safe. It came out awesome, and it still sings like Marvin Gaye. I really wanted "Gretsch floor tom brackets and couldn't find them anywhere...but it dawned on me that the brackets on my "Rims" and the floor tom brackets were on in the same. All I did was unscrew the brackets from the rims that I am not using...(12" tom is on snare stand, the new 16" tom which I would not use the rims, and an 8" that I do not use), and purchased Gibraltar 12.7mm floor tom legs. What I did to drill the shell was as follows.

1. I measured many times to be sure the spacing was how I wanted and that the brackets would be level and plum.

2. I used the backing plate and gasket to mark the holes as a template

3. I fixed (3) pieces of duct tape to the inside of the shell opposite the location of the drill holes.

4. I used a small drill bit (about half the size of the final bit) to first drill the pilot holes...and then double checked the gasket template to make sure the holes were centered. I also used a small wooden scrap 1x2 on the inside of the shell (over the duct tape) as a brace for the drill.

5. I then drilled the final holes with the appropriate size drill bit and attached the brackets and legs.

I will attach pictures later this evening. It really did come out awesome. I would have used the dynamount floor tom suspension, but I was short on time and money. Thanks for all your help.

Back