You know you're addicted to drumming when...

Monica McCoy

you hear jackhammer across the street and you count it in 8th notes.

Feel free to add you own...

...you can't pull a pot out of the cupboard without testing it's "tonality".

...your significant other is constantly grabbing your hand to stop it from tapping.

...you become uncomfortably aware that your steps are moving in rhythm to a song that's playing--and then you modify your pace to re-subdivide into sixteenth triplets.

You own 3 (or more) drum sets.

When you can sit down and watch the 2006 MODERN DRUMMER 4 dvd box set, in one sitting. ( ....even if you skip Tommy Lang's performance )

Last edited:
I always carry a practice pad & sticks in my carry-on bag....not to use during the flight but to have it with me in case my check-in luggage flies off on a different heading.
I need them with me.
I reckon that's just common sense but my gf says I'm addicted.....or words to that effect :))

I also get P***** *** with chop sticks, because I find them too thin & short to enjoy embarrassing myself at the table by playing paradidles around the crockery.

When someone asks "have you got the time" ? and you go "Yeah"

and he goes what the heck " so what time is it" ? and yougo " four-four"

when you get extremely annoyed every time you put on the blinker because its timing is sooooo OFF based on the song your listening to. and, in my case, get annoyed by the fact that the left blinker blinks about twice as slow as the right one....

...you can't pull a pot out of the cupboard without testing it's "tonality".

...your significant other is constantly grabbing your hand to stop it from tapping.

...you become uncomfortably aware that your steps are moving in rhythm to a song that's playing--and then you modify your pace to re-subdivide into sixteenth triplets.

All things I do on a regular basis.

When you're looking up 'Moeller stroke' and the 'push pull technique' in the Kamasutra.

Perfect.

When you watch TV and can't help but only focus on the drums being played, trying to figure out exactly which model it is.

Instead of caring what sparkling dress Angelina Jolie wore to the Oscars, you want to know what shimmering cymbals Stewart Copeland is using on his kit at Live Earth.

You come home from a gig and it went so good that you have to play more, by yourself

You sit there and just stare at your drumset for over an hour.

A gig supercedes everything...sex, your kids graduation, fishing trips, funerals

You want leather washers so bad for your tuning lugs so they wont slip out of tune that you scour the internet for them and when you cant find exactly what you want you sacrifice an old belt and fashion a round punch from a 3/8' deep socket, filing the edges sharp and then you use it to punch out a hundred and fifty two 3/8" diameter leather circles from the belt with a hammer which now have to be drilled and fitted on each lug screw, 2 per screw, one above and one below the metal washer, and since the metal washer doesn't come off the lug, the one leather washer that goes on top of the metal washer has to be cut and crazy glued back together after it is fitted on the lug screw.... Did I say that out loud? I didn't do that, but a friend of mine did...yeah that's the ticket, it was a friend of mine, crazy nut....Somebody really should intervene, it's really affecting his life

When you find rhythm in anything, the dishwasher, the dryer, the washing machine, windshield wipers, and the list goes on and on ;-)

When you're looking up 'Moeller stroke' and the 'push pull technique' in the Kamasutra.

Yeah, now you tell me...I was looking for that most all of last night!

You know you are addicted when your typing has to be rythmic! that is if you can truly type...rythmic hen pecking? As for me I am a typist and usually get into a rythm like little finger drums..LOL

Back