Buying new heads. Which are best for my kit for metal?

Yep.

Protip: Jordison triggers his drums. You're never ever going to get your kit to sound like that no matter what head combination you put on it unless you record it, EQ and compress the living crap out of it and otherwise effect it. Or buy your own triggers. But unless you're playing at ridiculous speeds, triggers are completely unnecessary... and the only way you'd sound like Jordison sans triggers is if you PLAYED like Jordison sans triggers.

Damn. I already know that he uses effects and whatever. I already know that my kit will not sound like his. I was using him as an example as the sound I was going for. Another example is Matt Greiner. I just want some opinions.

Evans heads have alot of good sounding attack but i actually just switched to remo ambassator x and i love them even more.

I was thinking ambassadors or emperors, but I've heard they don't last long. Sound over durability? Thanks.

Just buy whatever Joey Jordison has on his kit (or endorser page) so we don't have to go through another "what should I get to make my kit sound exactly like a pro studio produced album?" thread. These threads do usually garner a laugh from me though. Maybe it is best I say- Fiberskyn batters. Then you can say " Those are not what he uses" and we can go from there?

I was using that sound as an example purely because he is my favorite drummer. I don't care about if he uses them or not.. Why would I even bother with you guys if I already know what he uses?

Yep.

Protip: Jordison triggers his drums. You're never ever going to get your kit to sound like that no matter what head combination you put on it unless you record it, EQ and compress the living crap out of it and otherwise effect it. Or buy your own triggers. But unless you're playing at ridiculous speeds, triggers are completely unnecessary... and the only way you'd sound like Jordison sans triggers is if you PLAYED like Jordison sans triggers.

Seconded.
Take a look at The Rev recording for Avenged Sevenfold on YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfD34LOrnNk . His drums live in the studio sound nothing like what they do on the album.

I'd start with Emporers, and then decide if you want a more muffled head next time round (Pinstripes) or a thinner more open head like an Ambassador.

Very basically (and apologies if you already know this) : -

Remo Ambassador (or Evans G1) = 1 ply
Remo Ambassador X (slightly thicker)
Remo Emporer (or Evans G2) = 2 ply
Remo Emporer X (slightly thicker)
Remo Pinstripe (or Evans Hydraulic) = 2 ply +muffling-ring (or +oil inbetween the plys in the case of the Hydraulic, so it is more dead sounding).

Plus a ton more from other makes, all different thicknesses, different characteristics, etc.

Obviously the 2 ply will be more durable, but 1 ply should last you a while too.

I tend to go between Ambassadors and Emporers (or Vintage Emporers) depending on my mood at the moment of purchase. I've spent years trying different heads, and these are the 2 I tend to stick with at the moment. I've never found either really limits what sort of music I can play. Nobody in the band has ever turned round and said "hmm I think you should of gone for 2 ply". I play pop, rock and sometimes metal.

Remember the tuning will make a huge difference too and is critical for getting a good sound (maybe more so on thinner heads). The drums themselves probably have the least affect on the sound so you may as well just copy the set up you like the sound of and go from there, it's the closest you'll get to the sound, IMHO.

Hope that helps.

I'd start with Emporers, and then decide if you want a more muffled head next time round (Pinstripes) or a thinner more open head like an Ambassador.

Very basically (and apologies if you already know this) : -

Remo Ambassador (or Evans G1) = 1 ply
Remo Ambassador X (slightly thicker)
Remo Emporer (or Evans G2) = 2 ply
Remo Emporer X (slightly thicker)
Remo Pinstripe (or Evans Hydraulic) = 2 ply +muffling-ring (or +oil inbetween the plys in the case of the Hydraulic, so it is more dead sounding).

Plus a ton more from other makes, all different thicknesses, different characteristics, etc.

Obviously the 2 ply will be more durable, but 1 ply should last you a while too.

I tend to go between Ambassadors and Emporers (or Vintage Emporers) depending on my mood at the moment of purchase. I've spent years trying different heads, and these are the 2 I tend to stick with at the moment. I've never found either really limits what sort of music I can play. Nobody in the band has ever turned round and said "hmm I think you should of gone for 2 ply". I play pop, rock and sometimes metal.

Remember the tuning will make a huge difference too and is critical for getting a good sound (maybe more so on thinner heads). The drums themselves probably have the least affect on the sound so you may as well just copy the set up you like the sound of and go from there, it's the closest you'll get to the sound, IMHO.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, you helped me out a lot:)

I think Hydraulics are a very specific sound, and only really work in a small number of situations. If you're jamming in the bedroom or garage they'll sound pretty cool, but they don't work well beyond that. They just don't project well because they cut all of the higher overtones an audience perceives as pitch and attack.

I'd suggest an EC2. They have some control and a nice tone and are pretty durable. A G1 or G Plus on bottom would be my first choice to pair with pretty much any batter head.

For Bass Drum an EMAD batter with EQ3 front gives a good controlled thump without a need for any other muffling.

Snare Drum would get an ST Dry with a 300 or 500 snare side.

I'd also like to mention that the Evans website has sound samples that are worth a listen to get a better idea of the character of a particular head.

http://www.evansdrumheads.com/EvansProfileDurable.page

Last edited:
I think Hydraulics are a very specific sound, and only really work in a small number of situations. If you're jamming in the bedroom or garage they'll sound pretty cool, but they don't work well beyond that. They just don't project well because they cut all of the higher overtones an audience perceives as pitch and attack.

I'd suggest an EC2. They have some control and a nice tone and are pretty durable. A G1 or G Plus on bottom would be my first choice to pair with pretty much any batter head.

For Bass Drum an EMAD batter with EQ3 front gives a good controlled thump without a need for any other muffling.

Snare Drum would get an ST Dry with a 300 or 500 snare side.

I'd also like to mention that the Evans website has sound samples that are worth a listen to get a better idea of the character of a particular head.

http://www.evansdrumheads.com/EvansProfileDurable.page
Wow, the sound samples thing is super helpful, so thanks. And yeah I was thinking something like EC2/G1 for toms and I'm not sure on snare yet. Then something like that for bass. Thanks:)

Way to assume! I'm a girl, but thanks. And say anything sexist you want. I really could care less.

Not that any of this matters..but

"fan boys" does not denote sex, despite 'boys' being in the name, its a general expression

I made no assumptions, I saw people giving you very good answers and you shooting them down.

But good luck

OK, lets all just chill out.
When you post a thread that asks a question people will read it and they will respond based on how they interpret what you have asked in the way that they comprehend it.

You will get many answers to your question.
The best thing to do is to take the information that you want and just disregard the rest.
Thank everyone and move on with your life.

I was at a clinic last night, for Shawn Drover, Megadeath, and he had Evans coated G2 on the toms and an Evans HD Dry on the snare. If it's good enough for him......

These were all great pieces of advice. I'd say just go with Evans G2s for toms and for the snare batter because they are a great head that sounds good for everything. Next time you buy heads, determine what you did and did not like about them and purchase accordingly.

Welcome aboard, I hope we didn't scare you away. :)

Last edited:
These were all great pieces of advice. I'd say just go with Evans G2s for toms and for the snare batter because they are a great head that sounds good for everything. Next time you buy heads, determine what you did and did not like about them and purchase accordingly.

Welcome aboard, I hope we didn't scare you away. :)

Haha, thank you. Every online place has jerks, so I don't care. I think I am leaning towards Evans for my first heads.

I was at a clinic last night, for Shawn Drover, Megadeath, and he had Evans coated G2 on the toms and an Evans HD Dry on the snare. If it's good enough for him......

I don't know much about the HD Dry, but if it's good enough for him, hell.

Haha, thank you. Every online place has jerks, so I don't care. I think I am leaning towards Evans for my first heads.

Trust me, Bob is no jerk. He's kind of like Yoda, he really wants what is best for you, but he wants you to earn it. :D

Another thing, for the Snare someone suggested a Remo Coated Controlled Sound. Those are very good heads. I've had bad experiences with the Remo coating so I would heartily recommend a Evans Powercenter Reverse dot which is their equivalent. Here is a clip that should be helpful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j20vKUY3rR8

Last edited:
Trust me, Bob is no jerk. He's kind of like Yoda, he really wants what is best for you, but he wants you to earn it. :D

Another thing, for the Snare someone suggested a Remo Coated Controlled Sound. Those are very good heads. I've had bad experiences with the Remo coating so I would heartily recommend a Evans Powercenter Reverse dot which is their equivalent.

So how about that for the snare, Evans G2/Evans G1 for toms, and like Evans EMAD for the bass? Any reso suggestions, anyone?

Back