Bare Feet, Socks or Shoes?

i play a lot of double bass in my band at shows and at home.

i think its all a matter of preference... whichever lets you have more control and speed and whatever. the only thing i find is that, if i dont wear shoes, sometimes when im playing really fast, the back of the beaters hit the top of my feet, and not only does it throw me off a little, but its pretty damn painful.

personally, i like to wear shoes. i doubt it matters that much though, its definitely a matter of preference.

tommy said:
Does it make a difference if you use bare feet, socks or your shoes when you're playing doublebass?

'Cause I usually practice with my socks on, and so I was just wondering if I play at someone's gig... will I mess up because I would have to wear my shoes for some reason or somethin? lol

ThaNks, Tom.

They don't make you wear shoes at a gig ! Thats all up to you. no one is even going to see your feet really ( oh ya that other drummer there will !! There every where you play ) . I wear and swimming shoe thing . I don't know what there called. There not really a shoe but there really thin. I also like to wear wrestling shoes .

hardhitter said:
They don't make you wear shoes at a gig !

There's exceptions to that...a lot of exceptions actually. Wedding are a given, you don't want to wear your socks there. I've been on more than a few gigs, especially are nicer places, where "nice" dress was required. While there wasn't a uniform and we weren't in tux's, going barefoot would have been a total faux pas for sure. It just depends on the gig...but most places like bars and clubs wouldn't mind for sure.

A lot of it is personal style too...I'd feel stupid wearing some nice slacks and a cool shirt maybe even a tie and then playing with shoes. Plus I'm just NOT comfotable playing with socks...no clue why but I've always felt more control with some kind of shoes on.

In the end it's just what you're comfortable with and what the gig requires. If you're going to have to wear shoes...try some Converse Chucks or something with a thin sole.

ya I see what you are saying ! I really didn't think about that. I don't play them so I really didn't think about that. Sorry .

I guess you would have to ask the question where are you going to be playing at? Bars wedding jazz clubs etc.?

obviously a formal gathering like weddings or a swank club say where your're on,say a jazz gig,that's dress clothes/ shoe time...but a rock gig at a beach bar in summertime..hey,man WHATEVER I CAN GET AWAY WITH...that means barefeet,shorts and tank tops!

bare feet all the time...you gotta FEEL your instrument, not just bash its brains out.
cheers

if you play a dw pedal, better make it shoes if you're gonna be playing a while. There's huge ridges in my DW 7000 double kick pedal that kill the feet, that's their only downfall, even if they're supposed to grip.

how does converse shoes work with bass? I wanna get a pair of prestos but they dont come in my size. But i do play with socks or bare feet.

I use socks. Even at gigs I take off my shoe when I sit down at my kit. I don't have smelly feet or anything so no one minds. Plus, you can't see my feet behind the kick. As for why, well, I practice without shoes. And shoes usually add an inch or two to the bottom of your feet so it makes it feel wierd for me. I can play with shoes, I just don't think as well.

tommy said:
Wtf? I started this thread. Howcome it looks like Edward made this thread? ... I posted this thread in the afternoon and when to check on it the next couple of hours after playing a bit of drums, and there was hundreds of replies, I was woah! and then i realized that someone else looked like they made the thread?? thats realy annoying.
You started a new thread without bothering to use the search button to see whether or not the topic was already being discussed. It turns out that a thread on the subject already existed, so a Moderator merged the threads. That way anyone interested in the subject can read everything about it in one place. Sorry if that annoys you.

how does converse shoes work with bass? I wanna get a pair of prestos but they dont come in my size. But i do play with socks or bare feet.

I play in Hightop Chucks. Very light with good grip, and they don't restrain your ankle movement, even though it sounds like they would.

I used to use an Iron Cobra and I always wore bare feet whenever I used it, that was until I noticed a build of +jam+ between the Tama logo on the footboard, now that I got a new Eliminator pedal I wear socks at minimum :)

matt949 said:
I liek to play in socks cause its not painfull on the foot but you still get a good feel, but sometimes my axis pedal decided the logo wants to destroy my socks. so now i have holes in mopsty my socks. so i usually play in my vans slip-ons now.
Maybe use leather reinforced socks?

I'd like to sing a lil' tune for all you sock lovers out there.... HmmmHmmHmmmm.... MEE MEEE MAAA MOOO MIIIIIMOOHHH.....*cough* *cough*... Black socks, they never get dirty, the longer you wear them, the blacker they get. Some day, I think I will launder them, but something keeps telling me, "don't do it yet", not yet, not yet, not yet, not YEEETTTT!!!!

Thank you, thank you.

Barefoot all the way! Or socks are ok too. Im still yet to find any pair of shoes that are comfortable to play in. Tried playing in my timberland boots a few times, literally could not feel the pedal!

I've had the best luck with Vans skateboard shoes, I don't know what it is, but it makes it a heck of a lot easier. Much better feel.

Back