mystery snare

My vote is for some kind of Tama. Here's a pic of another Tama snare. The lugs look similar. Not sure about the strainer.

I'm not 100% at all about this so maybe a Tama expert can chime in.

Attachments

• tama.jpg
    tama.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 417
That is similar there. The hoops are a little different but that is close. I don't expect it to be high high quality snare, there was a badge at some point but it has fallen off or been removed, it still had the glue residue on it. It may just be a cheap junk snare but the hardware seems higher quality than I've ever seen on a cheap snare and it actually sounds good...

Edit - the strainer is a 20 strand.

The Copeland snare is brass, right? How heavy does your mystery snare feel? Pretty dense? or not so much?

I don't think your snare is exactly the Copeland snare, but they are very very similar. Its possibly an older Tama snare, or an older version of the Copeland snare.

The Copeland is a COB snare and has some heft, it comes with cast rims on top and flanged on the snare side.....looks very similar, the strainer on the Copeland is completely different tho.

F

It has some heft to it. Heavier than my cheap knock around steel snare.
The throw off on this thing is thicker and sturdier than any stamped one I've seen so I'm assuming it is cast as well.

It kind of looks like a mix of a Tampa Copeland and a metalworks series. Like Copeland shell, metalworks hoops. The throw off isn't logo'd though.

Thats not a Tama snare.Tama lugs are different.That strainer is a Chinese/Taiwan made generic type which are slapped on less expensive snare drums made overseas.Those lugs look Yamaha or Premier entry level like,but it's hard to say,since there are small import drum companies poping up every day.'

Just try sticking a magnet to the shell.If it sticks,then It's steel.Magnets won't stick to brass,aluminum, copper,ect ,and only to ferrous metals.

Steve B

I wonder if it could be the Pearl snare that Stewart played before Tama made him 'his' drum, that was based on the 'unknown provenance' pearl snare you ofter see mentioned in connection with the Tama snare, the throw could be a pearl throw?

any chance there are any labels etc inside the shell?

I wonder if it could be the Pearl snare that Stewart played before Tama made him 'his' drum, that was based on the 'unknown provenance' pearl snare you ofter see mentioned in connection with the Tama snare, the throw could be a pearl throw?

The throw off does look like its from the Pearl Sensitone line. But the lugs are different. The shell looks similar too tho. This is certainly a brain twister.

Magnet sticks to shell. No labels inside drum. I appreciate everyone trying to help me figure it out.

Copeland played a Pearl Jupiter model snare with a brass shell.The lugs and throw are still way different than the OP's snare.That throw is the same as several different drum companies import models.I have a Ludwig Assent CS snare with the same throw off,and have seen more than a few other import snares with the same throw.

Steve B

That drum is for sure an Asian import.Just looking at the Strainer and butt plate pretty much makes that a certainty.I'd also bet that the shell is welded and not spun from a single piece of metal. There are hundreds of smaller companies that are buying generic drums made in one of a few Asian factories,who just glue on whatever label or badge their customer wants.So it's possible that like in 60's and early 70's,one of these factories is cranking out 70 or 80 of the same drum,but with 80 different badges.Tama and Pearl did this in the 60's and 70's,and between them,manufactured hundreds of different badged drums that were exactly alike.

So to determine just who's glued on badge that drum once had,is irrelevant,since there are maybe 80 more that look just like it,but have a different badge,but were made in the same factory.

Steve B

Bump bump bump any new ideas?

Sorry mate. I would have chimed in earlier, but I thought it was settled. You've definitely been given your answer.

That drum is for sure an Asian import. .............

So to determine just who's glued on badge that drum once had,is irrelevant,since there are maybe 80 more that look just like it,but have a different badge,but were made in the same factory.

No mystery about it. This^^^

Me old mate Steve is bang in the money as usual. Steel Asian import......often called "stencil" drums (or kits). Could have been badged by any one of a thousand companies.....but they're all pretty much made in the same joint. The same sort of snare that come on most entry/intermediate level kits (Exports etc etc)

That's not to say it doesn't sound good, but it's nothing special, unique or rare. Just a players drum.

Tama didn't start making snare drums with a center beaded shell till the late 80's,and they were all high end drums and were mostly stocked with tube lugs.I'm pretty certain Tama didn't make that drum,those are almost certainly not Tama lugs,at least none that I've ever seen.

I still call generic Asian made cheap knock off.Which is not always a bad thing.

Steve B

Ahh. That's what I was thinking guys. Thanks for the info. Cheap bang around drum. I figured it was worth the $30 just to have as a side snare or a backup.

Tama didn't start making snare drums with a center beaded shell till the late 80's,and they were all high end drums and were mostly stocked with tube lugs.I'm pretty certain Tama didn't make that drum,those are almost certainly not Tama lugs,at least none that I've ever seen.

I still call generic Asian made cheap knock off.Which is not always a bad thing.

Steve B

Makes sense.

About a couple years ago I checked out a snare from a craigslist ad where the picture looked very much like a Ludwig Super Sensitive. I wasn't sure that it was the real thing but the price was very low if it was. I went over and immediately saw that it was a 'semi-copy'. Such is Asian drum making.

Jim

Back