Vic Firth 885A

BattleArmor

Silver Member
Recently I bought on massmusic.net, a brick of 6 of these sticks.

All's fine in good until I figure out 2 of the pairs are drastically (i mean drastically) different weight wise then the others..

Anyone ever noticed this?

I've never had this problem before with VicFirth sticks. Then again, I've never bought a brick, only single pairs at a time that I check for pitch and feel.

It could just be the risk you take when buying in bulk. But I'm sure Vic Firth would gladly replace the pair if you brought it to thier attention.

For clarity: you do mean Firth 85A and not 885A, right?

I could not find any 885A on the VF site or on the web (except for this discussion)

I've been using and enjoying this model for a while. I got 5 pairs during a GC sale.

I usually buy multiple pairs but not bricks. I also will roll and pitch pair them at the store.

I have had some discrepancies when buying several pairs online but that's with just about all the Mfr. 's.
Vater and Firth are the ones I usually gravitate towards and there are differences but rarely enoght to make me feel uncomfortable or gipped.

Jim

Recently I bought on massmusic.net, a brick of 6 of these sticks.

All's fine in good until I figure out 2 of the pairs are drastically (i mean drastically) different weight wise then the others..

Anyone ever noticed this?

I haven't found a stick made by any manufacturer that is consistent. Vic Firth, so far (and IMO) is the worst at consistency. I too will only buy them by the pair at a store from now on, so I can compare them and avoid the insanely heavy ones.

I haven't had much experience with other stick producers, but Vic Firth does indeed have great variation in weight of sticks of a same model. I always go through several pairs of sticks to find the pair that's the closest to the ideal weight for me. I'd never buy a pair without trying.

Yes I meant 85A

I dont know Ive had a good record so far with Vic but there are those times where its just ridiculous. The most consistent I've found to be are Vaters...my opinion of course

I'll try to see what I can do to get replacements but I don't think I'll be buying sticks in bulk again...

Thanks for the kind welcomes.....made my day! my grouchy old cat likes things her way..period...she is one of a kind (we all say that dont we?!) actually we are tied at the hip so even look a bit alike, being a bit portly....i had my last "tied at the hip" friend till he was 18 yrs. old...bluepoint siamese...jees i loved that cat..i still see him around and its been 20 yrs since he walked through the veil. i will see if i can get some pix on soon...of dogs too...got some awesome photos...just have to figure it out how to put them on...i am old but not stupid so who knows, maybe even today!!!!! had the dogs since they were wee little puppies, so they are still my babies...

I got like 30 pairs of 85a's when they were a buck a pair at GC. The majority of them appear just fine to me. One broke like right away, but the rest are going strong.

Back