Snug Heads on vintage drums

opentune

Platinum Member
I just revived a 1960's Slingerland kit, from various orphan drums (20 - 12 - 16) from the bay. Total expended was only $300. She ain't pretty but sounds awesome. If I get my act together could get a pic up here. BUT more importantly, I noticed my regular Remo Ambs and Emps heads (and my Evans heads too) fit very snugly on the toms. They fit on, but do not seat themselves like another younger kit I have. I was aware older toms are slightly oversized.

Do most people tolerate it, or get the so-called Vintage Heads produced by Aquarian etc? I like my Remos and am reticent to go out and buy all new heads. It tunes up fine, but given the snug heads, they seem a little more finicky at first than I would like. Is this normal? Any downsides to using regular heads on these older drums?

slingy2011c.jpg

I just revived a 1960's Slingerland kit, from various orphan drums (20 - 12 - 16) from the bay. Total expended was only $300. She ain't pretty but sounds awesome. If I get my act together could get a pic up here. BUT more importantly, I noticed my regular Remo Ambs and Emps heads (and my Evans heads too) fit very snugly on the toms. They fit on, but do not seat themselves like another younger kit I have. I was aware older toms are slightly oversized.

Do most people tolerate it, or get the so-called Vintage Heads produced by Aquarian etc? I like my Remos and am reticent to go out and buy all new heads. It tunes up fine, but given the snug heads, they seem a little more finicky at first than I would like. Is this normal? Any downsides to using regular heads on these older drums?

slingy2011c.jpg

First of all.....Love the vintage Slingys.

I have more that a few vintage drums,and some of them are oversized.If a modern head fits and sounds good,then fine,but if its too snug there is a workaround.

The easy way is to buy Aquarian AMERICAN vintage heads.These heads are oversized in diameter,and made to fit vintage drums.They are different from Aquarian vintage heads,which are made to only sound like vintage heads,and are made to fit modern drums.

The second thing you can do,which I have done with great success,especially with Gretsch drums,is notch the hoop,at 12,3,6,and 9 o'clock.You take a fine tooth hacksaw blade and cut through the hoop,without cutting into the drum head.This does work if you're careful.

The reason I say especially Gretsch,is 60's Gretsch drums were made oversized purposely,so ownwers would have to buy powertone heads from Gretsch,which were made to fit their oversized drums.It didn't last long ,but some of those round badge drums are still out there.

Steve B

1. Nice kit! Congrats! If the appearance really matters to you, you could always refinish it.

2. Yes, snug heads are a problem with older drums, it's true. I mostly use modern heads, but I DO use Aquarian American Vintage heads on some of them. They certainly ARE much easier to use/seat/tune, and they sound great, too, if you want to compliment the vintage drums with a vintage sound. I would use the heads currently on the drums until they're played out, and then make the switch to Aquarians all at once, but that's just me...

Thanks. Actually I bought them for the shells - 3 ply and was looking for 'that sound'. Except for bass drum, they've been re-wrapped already so no real vintage value.
Yes I'll give the Aquarians a try when the Remos wear out.

First of all.....Love the vintage Slingys.

I have more that a few vintage drums,and some of them are oversized.If a modern head fits and sounds good,then fine,but if its too snug there is a workaround.

The easy way is to buy Aquarian AMERICAN vintage heads.These heads are oversized in diameter,and made to fit vintage drums.They are different from Aquarian vintage heads,which are made to only sound like vintage heads,and are made to fit modern drums.

The second thing you can do,which I have done with great success,especially with Gretsch drums,is notch the hoop,at 12,3,6,and 9 o'clock.You take a fine tooth hacksaw blade and cut through the hoop,without cutting into the drum head.This does work if you're careful.

The reason I say especially Gretsch,is 60's Gretsch drums were made oversized purposely,so ownwers would have to buy powertone heads from Gretsch,which were made to fit their oversized drums.It didn't last long ,but some of those round badge drums are still out there.

Steve B
This post is 10+ years old so I don't now if you're still active on here, but... the notch idea is intriguing. I just rewrapped a 8x12 stop sign badge gretsch and getting heads on this thing is interesting. How deep of a notch are we talking here? Photos?

Back