Neil Peart's sound

A very interesting set of thoughts and opinions. Very subjective with the exception that it seems like the production and mix has affected general drum tones, for the worse, in the last 15 or so years. What is a DW, Gretsch, Tama, etc etc....is most likely really none of those kits once it hits the ns-10s. Unless it's a drum only mix. Hard to be objective.

It's hard to say that DW drums don't have great tone and range...that's hard to hear and I suspect it would take a good many hours playing and tuning a kit to come to that very subjective conclusion. It is not my conclusion....I think they sound great. I think a lot of folks think the same. I'm sure Mr. Peart would not use them if he thought he could do better....and he can have anything he wants.

There are lots of kits that sound great....by lots of mfg.

I've always liked Ludwig Classic Maples more than the DW Collectors series maples, so I can understand you not being amazed by DW recordings, even if it is Neil playing.

Where DW really is unique, and very impressive to me, is with the DW Classic series 3-ply mahogany drums. Fantastic warm, thuddy, punchy tone you would recognize if you are familiar with old mahogany Ludwigs and Slingerlands. I bought a 13-16-24 classic series kit with a matching 8x14 mahogany snare, all in Vintage Marine Pearl. Absolutely beautiful, flawless shells, re-rings, finish and hardware.

Back