Getting back into drums and getting serious about Jazz

So I'm just starting to get back into drums after a hiatus that lasted most of college. In high school, I had always been a rock drummer, though I had learned some jazz at the behest of my teachers. During college, I was a jazz studies minor, but I focused more on the theory and cultural aspects of the music, but found too little time for playing. But along the way, I found my musical love in jazz music, and I no longer really have much desire to play the rock I cut my teeth on. Which would be great, except I'm not particularly good at jazz...

In any case, I'm back to playing music, but I'm unable to afford a teacher at the moment. I'm lucky to have any jazz books at all, considering most of my interests had been rock and funk related. Really the only reason I have the two I do is because they were written by my first two teachers, who insisted I pick up a copy of their books...

I'm fortunate enough that the teachers were great and their books are quite well put together and highly regarded (Al Miller's 1000 Drum Solos vol 1 and Jim Chapin's Advanced Techniques for the Modern Jazz Drummer), but I'm looking for another resource that might have a more modern perspective on the music. Both teachers learned their styles during the swing era, and the books kind of reflect that.

So I'm trying to find something that is a bit more ... up to date. While the Miller and Chapin books are great for coordination and have given me some ideas, they don't really touch on feel, ride patterns, dynamics, brush work, comping, or more modern approaches to rhythm. A lot of what's in the Chapin book in particular comes off rather square in comparison to say Elvin Jones or Brian Blade...

So basically I was looking for more resources and perhaps more ways to apply the books I already have to a modern setting. Any help would be awesome!

I'm assuming it would be better to start with The Art of Bop Drumming? Or should I just pick up both once?

Beyond Bop Drumming is the sequel, but since you have worked through some other jazz stuff, I would buy both books. You should be able to work out of both at the same time.

Jeff

There are so many good books out there (e.g. jazz, afro/cuban, technique, etc) that you could spend a fortune on! In the past, I have asked my librarian to get some of these books through their interlibrary loan program. I then used them for a bit, and the ones I really liked, I bought (I don't photocopy; the authors makes very little from the sale of these books!)

GJS

Yes, if were you, I would follow Jeff's advice. Buy John Riley's books and you'll see a great change in your jazz playing, if you pass correctly through them.
Very well made and explained books! These are the bibles of the jazz beginners.

Very helpful, guys.

My other big problem is that it's really hard to find jazz musicians to play with. The only musicians I find are rock and blues musicians with no concept of what jazz is. And I'm not really good enough to play with the pros who gig around town yet. So where does one find intermediate jazz players to practice and grow with?

Swing:
If you don't have Progressive Steps to Syncopation for the Modern Drummer by Ted Reed, buy it. You can create an endless number of exercises with it by keeping a steady pattern on the ride and hi-hat pedal, while using the book's exercises as snare and bass parts. Don't use the "four on the floor" that's written into much of the book. Instead, focus on whatever's written for the snare -- particularly in the sections with mostly quarter notes or eighth notes -- and play those rhythms using different combinations of bass and snare. (Obviously, all eighth notes should be swung.) For example, the first time play it all on the snare, second time all on bass, third time alternating each note, fourth time playing two notes snare, then two notes bass, etc., etc.

This is an extremely effective way to develop some independence while playing in a swing style.

As for more intricate ride patterns, I don't have many book suggestions, but just listening to some of your favorites can help you figure out the "feel" your going for. If you're really struggling to pick things up by ear on the fly, you could consider working on a short transcription.

Funk:
Rick Latham's Advanced Funk Studies will never let you down.

Latin:
I wish I knew of better material to get the basics. Afro-Cuban Rhythms for Drum Set is strong, and Funkifying the Clave is a great book once you've gotten your feet wet.

Back