slingerland question

mike sabbath

i recently fell into a vintage slingerland bass drum and rack tom. i have never owned any older drums before, the front side of the bass drum is warped and a hoop cannot be put on it. i am wondering what kind of head to put on the bass drum that will make it sound as good as it can.
thanks

Measure the diameter of the drum in several different places to determine the diameter. Find out how far out of round that the drum is.
If the drum is out of round there are ways to correct it. The hoop can also be repaired if it is out of round. Keep me posted and I can help you.
If the drum is untrue you can remove the lugs and place a long piece of threaded rod through the lug holes in the drum at the widest diameter. You can place nuts on the threaded rod and slowly tighten them over a period of time to true the drum.

it did not come with hoops, i just used some other ones that weren't being used. thanks a lot though i will try that, i did not know there was a way to fix this

I accept with information:If its backfire thru the carb its usually on the intake side, valves, pushrod,tight or lose valve adjust. Pull the valve covers and look better than a guess.

Yeah! That'll do it! (Where did that come from?!)

Back