Using Ankle weights to develop speed?

robertondrums

Hi everyone,
Have you ever heard of Ankle Weights? I've heard that they are used by such drummers as Thomas Lang and Virgil Donati to practice and develop speed on there double pedal playing (kind of a secret that they want to keep secret). I am wondering if any of you drummers out there have heard of them and if they work. I've heard it said that you wear them for about 20 mins whilst practicing and then take them off and it makes your legs feel like they are gliding on the pedals. I'm actually tempted to try this because it seems logical that it would work.

I've seen such weights on the internet for gym use to be used whilst running. Would these weights work? If you have used them then can you let me know if they work and were you got yours from.

Thankyou

Robertondrums

i use ankle weights all the time--I am only little and so it makes my legs heavier and easier to get a louder sound without having to stamp too much.

I use 1kilo for exercises for about an hour or two and then take half a kilo off and play normally with what is left.

I also do some rudiments with wrist weighs. I have only recently been taught to play using my wrists and tend to use my forearm. If i practice with weights just above my wrists then my body automatically takes the easy road out and uses the wrists for movement rather than the heavy forearm. I also do a short session moving round the kit with the weights--as you say when you take them off you seem to fly round.

Also to develop your ankles try finding some industrial steel cap shoes and play exercises heel down. this realy gets the ankles going and helps wether you normally play heel up or heel down.

I bought wrist and ankle weights from amazon which even with postage turned out cheaper than the local sports shop.

i use ankle weights all the time--I am only little and so it makes my legs heavier and easier to get a louder sound without having to stamp too much.

I use 1kilo for exercises for about an hour or two and then take half a kilo off and play normally with what is left.

I also do some rudiments with wrist weighs. I have only recently been taught to play using my wrists and tend to use my forearm. If i practice with weights just above my wrists then my body automatically takes the easy road out and uses the wrists for movement rather than the heavy forearm. I also do a short session moving round the kit with the weights--as you say when you take them off you seem to fly round.

Also to develop your ankles try finding some industrial steel cap shoes and play exercises heel down. this realy gets the ankles going and helps wether you normally play heel up or heel down.

I bought wrist and ankle weights from amazon which even with postage turned out cheaper than the local sports shop.
Thanks a lot for your help. I will have to try the weights and see what happens. I suppose they are pritty cheap so if they don't work for me then I havn't wasted any money.

Thanks

Robertondrums

Hi everyone,
Have you ever heard of Ankle Weights? I've heard that they are used by such drummers as Thomas Lang and Virgil Donati to practice and develop speed on there double pedal playing (kind of a secret that they want to keep secret). I am wondering if any of you drummers out there have heard of them and if they work. I've heard it said that you wear them for about 20 mins whilst practicing and then take them off and it makes your legs feel like they are gliding on the pedals. I'm actually tempted to try this because it seems logical that it would work.

I've seen such weights on the internet for gym use to be used whilst running. Would these weights work? If you have used them then can you let me know if they work and were you got yours from.

Thankyou

Robertondrums

To be honest I didn't notice that much of a difference when I used ankle weights. I do use a whole leg motion, and I didn't really feel a whole lot different with them on or off. Maybe that's just me, but that's my two cents.

T

To be honest I didn't notice that much of a difference when I used ankle weights. I do use a whole leg motion, and I didn't really feel a whole lot different with them on or off. Maybe that's just me, but that's my two cents.

T
Thanks a lot for your oppinion on the ankle weights that really helps. It appears that the people I have asked all have different oppions. Some like yourself say that they don't help yet others say they are amazing. I will have to see for myself. I'm just finding out some info before I go trying them out.

Thanks

Robertondrums

Be careful using ankle weights. They have a habit of stretching and injuring the Achilles tendon.

Thanks a lot for your oppinion on the ankle weights that really helps. It appears that the people I have asked all have different oppions. Some like yourself say that they don't help yet others say they are amazing. I will have to see for myself. I'm just finding out some info before I go trying them out.

Thanks

Robertondrums

i think this has alot to deal with leg strength.

Be careful using ankle weights. They have a habit of stretching and injuring the Achilles tendon.

my schools atletic trainer sugests straping them on to shoes instead of the ankle

-george

I don't see how increasing the weight of your ankles will improve your speed. They'll increase the strength and endurance of your thighs and mid section, which will improve your balance, but fast single strokes are generated mainly from the ankle.

I could imagine them being like using thicker sticks for stick control, but I wouldn't do it. just stretch and practice good technique without worring about your actual muscle strength

Tried them for awhile (mostly blasts and steady doubles) just get tired faster and more burning feel it the next day but I think just playing more/longer would be best. More time to work on start stop stuff and changing 3 to 4's all that stuff. Speed just come with repitosion.

I don't see how increasing the weight of your ankles will improve your speed. They'll increase the strength and endurance of your thighs and mid section, which will improve your balance, but fast single strokes are generated mainly from the ankle.

If you use a flatfooted technique (ala Derek Roddy) then you are relying on your hip flexors rather than your ankles to generate the motion. The ankle weights would help strengthen your hips.

Gene Hoglan swears by them.

Back