Wrist pain

supermac

I've played drums for many years and thankfully haven't had any real strain injuries.

However, my left wrist has become very sore over the past dew days so I've stopped playing.

I've just got a new and kit and I'm trying new heights/angles etc, so maybe that has caused it.

Any advice from fellow sufferers appreciated. I assume it's just a case of resting?

cheers.

I would rest the wrist. I have a compression wrist brace that helps reduce pain and swelling.

I'd take a week off and rest it, if it continues to bother you then get to your Dr. to have it checked out.

Rest is good, and as mentioned before a compression brace speeds up recovery in most cases. I also put anti-inflammatory cream on which often helps.

Whenever I have injured my wrist it has never actually been from drumming, so once it gets a little better I start to do some stretches and then get back into some soft playing so this might work for you.

You may want to reset at the old position with the new set. If the pain is new since the old kit, it could be the cause.

I had both wrists flare up on me early last year. I just cut back on practice and it went away thankfully. Hopefully yours is temporary.

Agree with all the above. Give it a weeks's break from drumming, but keep using hand gently for everyday things, then start up drumming again slowly. If still hurts in a week, prob best see a doctor.

I used to have to ice my wrist after playing fast, that helped. But ultimately what helped most was learning new techniques from a good teacher (in my case, using back fingers to play faster)...

Good luck and hope it gets better soon!

Whenever I get a sore wrist, or knee, or any kind of ailment pertaining to muscles or tendons, I play through it.

I used to take rests with these kind of things, but I reasoned that the source of muscles and tendons getting damaged is because they've been pushed beyond their limits. It seemed to me that taking time off would only allow my muscles to regress, and as a result, when I got back to playing, I'd often re-injure the offending tissue. It was an endless cycle of play, hurt, rest.

So I changed my tack. By playing through, the muscles would continue to strengthen - as would the tendons and, to a degree, the surrounding bones - until the stress of playing was no longer beyond my physical limits. There was some discomfort, for sure, but it would gradually recede - and a lot faster than I would have predicted.

Now, I'm always sure to keep playing as often as possible - solo, in a band, or on the practice pad; as long as I'm consistently hitting something, the aches and pains, I find, go away.

Probably sounds a little nutty, or even masochistic, but it's borne out by years of experience...I'll allow that it may work for some people and not others. I don't want to be responsible for anyone permanently damaging a limb...

I definitely recommend stretching! Before playing, after playing, whenever you can! Even if it is sore, you need to build up strength in your wrists and continue to use them. Physical therapy for them if you will. Before every show put your hands infront of you like you are about to push something, then grab your finger tips with your opposite hand, and slowly pull back towards you and hold for 5 seconds. Then do it to the other hand. Repeat each 3 times. Then let your wrist go limp, palm facing you and pull your finger tips towards you again to stretch the muscles in the top of your wrist. Hold for 5 seconds and then do it to the other hand. Doing both wrists 3 times as well. Good luck!

If it is muscle related, search reverse dumbell curls and use light weights, like 5 pounds

It has to be technique related. My guess is tension. You're probably gripping the stick too firmly and other things. As it's impossible to really assess the situation without seeing you play, I would recommend posting a video.

JFJ

Hey guys!
I dealt with a serious tendonitis injury a few years back. I almost thought I'd never get to play again. But, luckily, through a lot of research and lifestyle changes, I over came it. Massage therapy, fixing my technique, and a proper diet all contributed to recovery.
There is a new website that is starting to address a lot of similar stuff that I learned on my journey to recovery. Check it out!

www.DrumerHealth.com

Happy Playing!

It might not help you now, but I've found it's super important to stretch (at least) the wrists before playing to loosen up the muscles. I know my wrists can be tense before I start playing, and the stretching has helped me immensely.

Back