12 year old playing Travis Barker

You gotta admit the kid can certainly write a witty, pointed, winning, albeit direspectful retort. Future trial lawyer perhaps?

Man when your a youtube drummer you've gotta take every last bit of critisism you get, its only going to make you better. It annoys me when these videos pop up that say 10 or 12 year old playing whatever. In my opinion, it doesn't matter how old you are it's how long you've been playing and frankly I stay away from videos that say that because it makes me think that the kid is inexperianced and totally screws up the song. Be modest, you don't see me posting vids saying 13 year old drummer playing Voodoo by Godsmack. But still the video itself was very good.

Man when your a youtube drummer you've gotta take every last bit of critisism you get, its only going to make you better.

Youtube criticisms are mostly the inane babblings of socially disconnected trolls, enraged by their irrelevance, and pathetically emboldened by their anonymity. To put it simply, they're a joke.

You want criticism? Go to a drummer with no axe to grind, who's better than you. Elevated talent is usually pretty easy to find. Finding an elevated talent without an axe...that's tough.

Keep playing... Work with a metronome.... Nice setup/placement, maybe think about lowering those crashes above your toms. Reach can make a huge difference. Nice movement around the kit overall.

Thanks Garvin - I'll give it a try :)

Youtube criticisms are mostly the inane babblings of socially disconnected trolls, enraged by their irrelevance, and pathetically emboldened by their anonymity. To put it simply, they're a joke.

You want criticism? Go to a drummer with no axe to grind, who's better than you. Elevated talent is usually pretty easy to find. Finding an elevated talent without an axe...that's tough.

Cool .... right on target - thanks!

Only two posts so you're forgiven your petulant ways!

One thing I find difficult to do is to use my left foot to keep time. I've been trying for a while. I noticed you don't either. You might like to think about whether this would help you to keep your playing steady especially during and after fills.

PEACE to you too!

Thanks for the coaching advice DD - I will give this a try : )

And plenty of those guys are in the "Where are they now?" file. It's tough to keep your ego in check when your young and people fawn over your ability. Listen to the guys here, they know what they are talking about more than your friends and family do trust me. Take critisizm as a guide to improve those areas. Keep it up and good luck, I mean it!

Thanks - I will try to apply all the coaching as opportunities to improve : )

Dude nice job...

Good points: You have what it takes to play the set. Your posture is good. You seem to be in the right headspace, and you seem to get the concept of not showing off and playing to make the song sound good. You work the sticks nice, and you seem serious about it. Like I said you have what it takes, it just needs to be developed

Suggestions: Nothing alarmingly wrong, there's always room to improve, and I think you'll make a fine drummer, just keep at it. However, a little bit of respect shown to people who took the time to watch your video, that would have been nice. Welcome to Drummerworld. You'll find that this place is filled with well meaning people, and you could certainly benefit from all the shared knowledge here, just remember to respect others opinions and try not to take things personally. Your playing was critiqued, not your person. Good job on the video, I wish I was that good at 12.

Thank you .... collecting all the great coaching tips to try during practice .... thanks again : )

I would agree to take the advice from these boards as positive feedback. This is an amazing forum with many many wonderful drummers.

Very good playing. I actually didn't discover drums until I was 21 so you have a great head start. Some of the things to work on (no offense to you or your drumming), is consistent timing, dynamics and learning when to fill and when not to fill. If you go to the Drum Technique forum here http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8 they will give you a wealth of info on these topics.

Nice playing and thanks for dropping by but watch the attitude on these boards. This is a free drumming community that we like to keep clean and open to all drummers.

EDIT: I also agree with moving your cymbals closer to you. You're seriously reaching to hit those! Bring em in...it'll make you faster! ;-)

Thank you for the coaching tips, recommendations and the helpful link ( :

Back