Dennis Wilson Camco Endorsement Ad 1968

Scott K Fish

Silver Member
Dennis Wilson Camco Endorsement Ad 1968

SKF NOTE: I spotted this ad in the January 11, 1968 Down Beat. I know Hal Blaine did a great deal of studio work for the Beach Boys. Has anyone chronicled Dennis Wilson's studio and/or concert drumming with the Beach Boys?

681101_down_beat_0003.jpg

Scott K Fish Blog: Life Beyond the Cymbals

Cool beans Scott.

Did Camco make snare drums?

I can't recall having heard mention of a Camco snare drum, ever.

I have that ad somewhere around here! Love me the Camcos - that's when DW was cool ;)

I thought Hal only played on Pet Sounds and a few other hits, but not everything.

Now did the DW lugs get bigger than those shown in the ad?

I thought Hal only played on Pet Sounds and a few other hits, but not everything.

Now did the DW lugs get bigger than those shown in the ad?

The lugs did not get any bigger.

But Hal played on everything. In fact, the Beach Boys stuff was just Brian Wilson in the room with the Wrecking Crew. Glen Campbell and Tommy Tedesco on guitars played all those famous riffs. Check out the movie, The Wrecking Crew - awesome film about the golden era of recording in Los Angeles.

There was a funny story in there about The Monkees. Peter Tork thought it was really about the band he was in, and he showed up at the recording studio with his guitars ready to lay down some tracks and was shushed away by the real guys playing the tracks!

Dennis:
Where's your ride cymbal?
Does Hal have it in the recording room?

I believe that Dennis played ride and crash with his left hand. Hence the single cymbal.

Back