Feet development, need for double pedal, etc

haroldo_psf

So, I started to leard 3 months ago. My teacher told me that we will develop both of my right and left foot as evenly as possible, and that if I can afford, to get a double pedal.

Does everyone develop their left and right foot together, or most people just get a fast right foot initially and then later try to get the left foot up to speed?

I would think it makes sense to start with both feet right away, right?

And then the next question... After much searching, there are a billion double pedals out there. I am able to spend about $300 on one. The DW 5000 SD3 looks good, and even bein a little over my budget ($379) I could still swing.

The question is: Do I need it?

I am an electrical engineer by trade, and will never be a "pro". I may in a couple of years or so join a band for fun, but that will be completely for leisure, if anything. So, I don't think I will be moving my gear around to need a super robust pedal.

I don't even own an accustic set yet. I own a Yamaha DTXplorer. I would like something kinda nice so when I get my accustic set probably next year (2012), I can keep it for a while to come.

Is this pedal worth the price even for someone like me? I.E is the feel it provides better than, say, some other $200 alternative?

If the answer is that I don't need this, what is something else anybody would care to recommend?

Last question: what is the best and why: belt, chain, direct drive?

If you have a kick pedal and a hi hat pedal, you can work on your feet. I wouldn't buy a double pedal just as a matter of course to be honest. If you think you'd like to practise with one, or may end up playing a style of music that calls for one....then sure, why not. But I don't think you need one purely to work your feet.....you can still do this by keeping one foot on the bass drum pedal and one foot on the hi hat pedal.

Figure out if you want to learn to play a double pedal and if you'll actually use one before committing to it. If not, it seems a little redundant when you can just keep your feet on the pedals you already have.

Now for the eternal question......chain, strap or direct drive. Have a scour through the numerous pedal threads here and you'll pretty quickly determine that there is no such thing as "best" for every player or every application. Get your feet on 'em and figure out which one appeals to you.

If you have a kick pedal and a hi hat pedal, you can work on your feet. I wouldn't buy a double pedal just as a matter of course to be honest. If you think you'd like to practise with one, or may end up playing a style of music that calls for one....then sure, why not. But I don't think you need one purely to work your feet.....you can still do this by keeping one foot on the bass drum pedal and one foot on the hi hat pedal.

Figure out if you want to learn to play a double pedal and if you'll actually use one before committing to it. If not, it seems a little redundant when you can just keep your feet on the pedals you already have.

Now for the eternal question......chain, strap or direct drive. Have a scour through the numerous pedal threads here and you'll pretty quickly determine that there is no such thing as "best" for every player or every application. Get your feet on 'em and figure out which one appeals to you.

If I will someday "need" a double pedal to play certain things...I am not sure. I am too much of a noob to know that. What I do know if that I like bands whose drummer use double bass/pedals (Rush, Dream Theater, etc). So, not that I will be playing their tunes any time soon, but I do want to work on fill exercises and drills which incorporate the bass, and most of the time, I see it done with double pedal.

So, I guess you made me answer my own question, and I probably should get one and going with that left foot (hi hat pedal feels nothing like bass drum pedal)...

Now I just have to figure out if a $379 pedal is right for me, or if it's too much hardware quality which I will never see or experience its advantages.

Thanks again

One thing I've been doing for the past 6 months or so is tapping with my left foot while listening to music. Really simple stuff, just keeping time with the beat or trying to match what the drummers bass drum is doing with my left foot. Surprisingly it's helped.

Regarding the double pedal, do you plan on playing metal, one of the many versions of hard rock, or have an affinity for the sound of double bass? If not, then you could probably go with out it.

So, I guess you made me answer my own question, and I probably should get one and going with that left foot (hi hat pedal feels nothing like bass drum pedal)...

Just on this point haroldo, hitting a snare drum with your left hand and a ride cymbal with your right, doesn't "feel" the same either.....yet we manage to do it every time we play with little concern. Just something to think about.

Again, I'm not saying employing a double pedal is a bad idea. It will come down to the value YOU place on the benefits of one within your playing style. I played for many years on a single pedal and bought a double a year or so ago in order to teach myself a new skill......do I need it to get by? Hell no....but there's no denying the fact that I've had some fun with it either.

So if you think there's value in it for you going forward, go right ahead........but it certainly isn't neccessary purely to get both feet working. That can indeed be done on what you have. Check out all the great players who play on a single pedal, yet command great control over their hats, to see what I mean.

Just on this point haroldo, hitting a snare drum with your left hand and a ride cymbal with your right, doesn't "feel" the same either.....yet we manage to do it every time we play with little concern. Just something to think about.

Again, I'm not saying employing a double pedal is a bad idea. It will come down to the value YOU place on the benefits of one within your playing style. I played for many years on a single pedal and bought a double a year or so ago in order to teach myself a new skill......do I need it to get by? Hell no....but there's no denying the fact that I've had some fun with it either.

So if you think there's value in it for you going forward, go right ahead........but it certainly isn't neccessary purely to get both feet working. That can indeed be done on what you have. Check out all the great players who play on a single pedal, yet command great control over their hats, to see what I mean.

excellent points. Thank you very much for sharing. You may have saved me $379 bucks... not sure yet, but thanks

I have resisted the urge to get a double pedal but if I did get one I would not spend That amount of money on my 1st one. Either get a used one for half the price or this one I was looking at last year and if I did get one anytime soon it would be this one. I read all the reviews and it's like $110 on amazon.

http://www.vexdrums.com/pedals.htm

I have resisted the urge to get a double pedal but if I did get one I would not spend That amount of money on my 1st one. Either get a used one for half the price or this one I was looking at last year and if I did get one anytime soon it would be this one. I read all the reviews and it's like $110 on amazon.

http://www.vexdrums.com/pedals.htm

Great advice. Thanks.

I am not sure if I should be posting this in the gear section instead, but how come isn't everybody buying something like this? For $110, it looks just as nice as the others.

Generally speaking, what does the extra money buy when it comes to double pedals (or just pedals in general)? Is it just durability? Or is there more to it, like feel or something?

Will I not learn some technique or another properly (or as quickly) if I practice on a cheap pedal as opposed to an expensive one?

Better yet, will a cheap pedal limit what I can play as opposed to an expensive pedal?

Great advice.
Will I not learn some technique or another properly (or as quickly) if I practice on a cheap pedal as opposed to an expensive one?

Better yet, will a cheap pedal limit what I can play as opposed to an expensive pedal?

I bet the companies who sell those high priced ones are hoping people think like that, I won't say there is no difference in alot of these items and I am sure there is a little in this double pedal too. But I also doubt the difference is worth over $200 price difference.

When I very 1st started I was using the single pedal that came with my beginner sonor 3001, not a great pedal and after a few months of playing I felt I was not getting anywhere with my foot so I went out and Bought a brand new pearl eliminator for $130, played that for over a year and started feeling the same way again. I then went and bought a DW9000, used but still a high price in comparison. I now use the pearl as a practice pedal on a bass practice pad.

Anyway I took a lesson with a guy and explained to him via e-mail that I really want to concentrate on my foot and he said no problem, I met up with him at his place and he had a crappy sunlite pedal that goes for about $40 brand new and he played it like it was a $500 pedal..

Needless to say after all this a small light went on" it;s not the gear it's the player"

Last edited:
i recently bought a dtxplorer to use as a fun and quiet practice kit .. their pretty awesome for the price ..

anyway .. to answer your question .. definately work both feet equally if you can (not for double bass reasons but to be able to play high hat rhythms with your left foot and such)

also .. you can set the high hat controller on the dtxplorer to make a bass drum sound (i know the feel is very different but it'll work)

on cheap double pedals ... i've played on a few .. i'd highly suggest going for a good brand used double over getting a cheap brand... drive shafts are loose and laggy and they just feel terrible overall.

or ... http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/product/Pearl-P902-Double-Pedal?sku=620288 something like that .. i've played the single version of that in college and it felt almost the same as my powershifter eliminator pedal with the black cam.

i recently bought a dtxplorer to use as a fun and quiet practice kit .. their pretty awesome for the price ..

anyway .. to answer your question .. definately work both feet equally if you can (not for double bass reasons but to be able to play high hat rhythms with your left foot and such)

also .. you can set the high hat controller on the dtxplorer to make a bass drum sound (i know the feel is very different but it'll work)

on cheap double pedals ... i've played on a few .. i'd highly suggest going for a good brand used double over getting a cheap brand... drive shafts are loose and laggy and they just feel terrible overall.

or ... http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/product/Pearl-P902-Double-Pedal?sku=620288 something like that .. i've played the single version of that in college and it felt almost the same as my powershifter eliminator pedal with the black cam.

Thanks again...

I also own the DTXplorer, but this is my only kit, and I have never played on an accustic set. That's what I am leaning towards. For the sakes of starting early, I want to train both of my feet evenly, and I want to have the double bass playing skill under my belt as well just as a tool (not that I like metal, which I don't, except for DT).

I will save to get a decent pedal to be on the safe side. Thanks again everyone for the great advices.

Not sure if this helps you, but I have a 1yr old DW 8000 double pedal that I just don't need anymore. Never left the teaching studio and I have all the wrenches and the carrying case. I paid about $420 new. Sell for $300 + shipping (not much I'd imagine). Good luck on your quest!
ps... slow and steady/accurate goes a loooooooong way with double bass chops.

Well if you know that you're going to be playing with your double pedal often, then I'd recommend getting one. It does make sense to start with both feet around the same time, and it will probably make double pedaling easier when learning.

As for which pedal to choose, I would go to a drum store and just try every one they have (You'll have to like at least one of them.) I would recommend getting a good quality one, because bad quality ones don't last too long.
Both DW and Yamaha are know for their very durable pedals. (I've heard they can last up to 20 years.) DW 5000 is definetley the way to go, not sure about Yamaha, but you can probably find out on their website.
Tama's pedals aren't really known for durability (Although they are pretty durable), but they're known for they're excellent performance. The Iron Cobra's are great, but I would spend an extra $20 and pick up the speed cobra (what I use) for $400. May seem expensive, but I love mine.
The Pearl eliminator ($300) or the DW 7000 ($275) are two cheaper options. I prefer the DW but I've heard good things about the pearl too.

And for chain, belt, and direct drive, it's really just personal preference. I like the classic chain drive, but I've heard good things about all 3.
From my experience, A strap has more control, a direct has more speed, and a chain has a mix of both. For me, I don't get enough speed with a strap and direct drives just don't feel smooth.
But the best way to find out is again just to visit a drum shop and try all 3, as your preferences will be different from mine.

Hope I helped!

For developing your feet, just do a double bass motion when you are sitting anywhere. I'll be sitting in chemistry class doing solid double bass 16ths while I balance equations. :D
Haha I do this as well. I practice timekeeping with left foot too if I'm not using my hands.

Back