Starting Out

Mr. Serpent

Basically, I've been interested in drumming for a while now yet never got any opportunities.

I want to start out, but I'm not sure how. Buying my own kit is a stretch, due to money and lack of any place to put it. I even thought about buying Rock Band/Guitar Hero just to get a taste of the drums, but I'd prefer to get behind a real kit.

I suppose the best direction would be to find an instructor? Any tips or advice you have will be much appreciated. I appreciate this may be a little vague though.

~Thanks in advance.

Basically, I've been interested in drumming for a while now yet never got any opportunities.

I want to start out, but I'm not sure how. Buying my own kit is a stretch, due to money and lack of any place to put it. I even thought about buying Rock Band/Guitar Hero just to get a taste of the drums, but I'd prefer to get behind a real kit.

I suppose the best direction would be to find an instructor? Any tips or advice you have will be much appreciated. I appreciate this may be a little vague though.

~Thanks in advance.
There are practice pad kits and electronic kits that would be easier to deal with from a "space" standpoint. Still might cost a bit, but used might fit the bill. YES on the lessons, it would give you goals to strive for.

I've never played Rock Band, but I'm sure it won't teach you to actually play the songs, or any real drumming for that matter. It uses the drums as a kind of Joystick Replacement. If it were real drumming it would limit sales to only people with drumming aptitude and then it wouldn't sell like the hot cakes it is.

There are practice pad kits and electronic kits that would be easier to deal with from a "space" standpoint. Still might cost a bit, but used might fit the bill. YES on the lessons, it would give you goals to strive for.

I've never played Rock Band, but I'm sure it won't teach you to actually play the songs, or any real drumming for that matter. It uses the drums as a kind of Joystick Replacement. If it were real drumming it would limit sales to only people with drumming aptitude and then it wouldn't sell like the hot cakes it is.

Thanks for the advice. I'll look around a little and see if I can find a place to get lessons.

You mentioned a practice kit, that's probably still a little too expensive for my liking, what about something simple like a practice pad? I've heard mixed opinions on how useful they are actually are.

Lessons are a definate plus, any music store should have a teacher, or check the local swap sheets.

Practice pads are fine, they can't simulate a real drum head, though some come close. I used to practice rudiments on either a pillow or a Notebook. A mouse pad works well too.

You could look for a music studio that does cheap hire for solo drummers, there's a place near me that charges a fiver an hour for a small studio with a full drumkit. So you could practice on the pad for the most part, but maybe do a few hours a week at a cheap-o studio.

Renting is also a great option to start out with...any music store will be able to do that or at least tell you who to see about it.

I'm self-taught but will recommend lessons if only to build a good foundation. I started out on a practice pad playing along to records.When I finally got on a kit I did OK but a practice pad and an actual kit are totally different. An instructor can give you a starting point and help you understand the basics and what to work on. Have good practice habits, good luck!

Thanks for all the replies. I've decided I'll probably look around for a teacher as that seems to be the best thing to do in my situation.

Though, is there anything I can do in my own time that might help me when it comes to real drumming? I'm sure I can substitute something for drumsticks, I just like to feel like I'm making some progress, even simple things like practicing timing, etc...

get yourself a pair of sticks and one rubber practice pad and try playing along with a song that has a simple beat. You can always make believe you have a bass drum and move your foot accordingly. That worked for me.
Drums are a unique instrument in that all four limbs do different things but yet have to work together. You may get frustrated but that's all part of learning. You'll work thru it.

Thanks, I'll try that.

Apologies for the constant questions, but what is a reliable drum stick brand? I've been looking around this website (found in the links thread), but I have no idea what to get.

Any recomendations for a cheap yet durable pair?

Thanks for all the replies. I've decided I'll probably look around for a teacher as that seems to be the best thing to do in my situation.

Though, is there anything I can do in my own time that might help me when it comes to real drumming? I'm sure I can substitute something for drumsticks, I just like to feel like I'm making some progress, even simple things like practicing timing, etc...

If you can not find or afford a local drum teacher in your area,
I can recommend on line drum lessons for you
http://www.mikeslessons.com/
you can watch drum video's on youtube

re: cheap sticks, stay away from them they usually are Warped and unballanced.
better brands are Vic Firth, Pro-Mark

while your getting the pair of sticks, might as well pick up a rubber practice pad..

I loved Vic Firth sticks but I'm there are others that are good. When buying sticks roll them on a flat surface to make sure they are not warped. If they are put them back. Tap them on a solid surface to make sure they feel solid. On a rubber practice pad most sticks should be OK, it's when you actually use them on a kit playing at a louder volume that the quality or lack thereof will be more evident. Finding a pair that aren't too heavy, too light, too short, too long, too thick, too skinny is another matter. That's all personal preference. You'll have to find out what feels best for you.

Back