Tascam us-1800/Cubase LE5..HELP!!

gconyers

Recently bought a Tascam US-1800 interface and have it connected to an ACER laptop with Dual Core processors (2.3 Ghz) and 4GB RAM running Windows 7 OS.

I've installed the latest Tascam drivers and am using the Cubase LE5 software that came with the interface. I have two problems that I can't overcome.

1) There is no problem recording with all 8 XLR inputs at once but when I try to monitor the inputs (through headphones plugged into jack on interface) I can barely hear any sound in my headphones (Fostex R40). As well, I am selecting the monitor ICON- for all of you Cubase users. I don't think there is an issue with the phones as I can playback the recorded tracks with plenty of volume.

What am I doing wrong? The only way I can hear anything while monitoring is to severly overdrive the signal which is obviously not an option.

2) When I can actually hear any monitored signal, there is a very distinct delay (latency?) It makes it quite impossible to overdub anything because of it.

I am using decent quality mics- AKG d112, SM57, AKG C1000s, etc. and the USB cable that came with the interface (which Tascam recommends).

I have adjusted the latency settings in the TASCAM control panel (high, low, normal etc.) and don't really notice a difference.

I have searched YouTube, Google etc. to try and find a solution but to no avail.
I have heard many people say how happy they are with the interface and that there are ZERO latency issues.

I have probably forgotten some info but hopefully someone can help with this!!!! I feel like an idiot.

Grant

Back