Travis Barker

DWdrummer said:
mediocrefunkybeat-

there is a reason travis gets paid to play drums every day and you are sitting in front of a computer typing away and bashing on him and his fans.

it just doesn't make sense... he is a professional.......how can you critique?

him playing that country beat was excellent..... perfect volume..

And where would we be without critique? I'm allowed to say that I didn't enjoy his performance. He didn't hit the ending of songs, his feel was sloppy, he looked completely out of place and his timing was way off. Didn't compliment the songs at all. I'm not bashing on you at all, I'm merely making a point that I didn't enjoy his performance. Just because I don't worship him doesn't mean I can't say what I'd like to say about him. Perhaps you should watch the video again through the eyes of a 'non worshipper' and you'll understand.

If you read the whole thread, you'll find that I have no issues with Travis personally. What I do have issues with are legions of fans blinded with the 'Travis is God' mindset.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mediocrefunkybeat said:
If you read the whole thread, you'll find that I have no issues with Travis personally. What I do have issues with are legions of fans blinded with the 'Travis is God' mindset.

Not that it will make any difference, but I got your back on this one Mediocrefunkybeat. You basically summed it up perfectly.

God save us if the only critique we can have of that country clip is: "The volume was perfect.".

What in the heck does that mean?

I think Travis is a great drummer and so many people started playing because of him. (like me) Of course he is not the best and you can't compare him with drummers like Steve Gadd, Dave Weckl ... But if you compare him with Chad Smith, you have to says that Chad Smith is 13 years older than Travis, and who knows how Travis will play in 13 years.
I if you want to know something more about him than read these interviews:

http://www.blink-182.org/facts.interviews.html?show_interview=13

http://www.aliens-exist.net/sub_pages/article.01.html

http://www.drummagazine.com/html/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=1131

I agree with beats here - if Travis gets creative, he 'overplays', if he doesn't, his 'timing is way off' or he's 'nothing special.'

Lets face it, you guys are out to bash him just as much as those kerrraze fan-boys are out to worship him. And Travis's timing is never 'way off.' In fact, I don't think I've ever witnessed a professional drummer get their timing way off - they're all just too skilled at that level. So point me an album based example of Travis getting his timing wrong Stu, because I know you've said one exists, and I'll shut up.

Stu_Strib said:
Not that it will make any difference, but I got your back on this one Mediocrefunkybeat. You basically summed it up perfectly.

God save us if the only critique we can have of that country clip is: "The volume was perfect.".

What in the heck does that mean?

That the guitars were amplified enough. Cheers Stu, we'll see if they come back.

Re: Travis Barker playing country

DWDrummer said:
i hope we can continue "healthy arguments" like that it really helps

The only problem with the healthy arguments on here is that very few people actually realize how awful that was from a MUSIC standpoint.

Argue tatoos, feeling and mohawk all you want. The fact remains, it was awful.

DWDrummer said:
I am a young drummer I'm still in high school. My bad for using the word technique instead of grip.

being young and in highschool is never an excuse. never ever use that again. just say "my bad" next time. youre giving high school people like me a bad reputation.

i just dont get it. since when did being in highschool an excuse for being so immature.?

maybe its just me or highschool students nowadays are as immature as grade 4 kids?

oh and travis? he's just another pop drummer. nothing special. he does what he has to do. the only thing good about him that i'd like to see in other drummers is that he has good technique. other than that he's just another pop drummer.

syaoran05 said:
i just dont get it. since when did being in highschool an excuse for being so immature.?

Since about the last 120 years of Educational Psychology ;-)

T-1000: I've posted that list a couple times already on here, so sorry I'm not going to humor you again. I think the fact you've NEVER heard a recorded song with a mistake or bad timing says a lot about your critical listening. Are you serious? You've NEVER heard obviously rushed drum fills, or horribly lagging bass players? Hmmm..... I wonder what kind of music you listen to.

finnhiggins said:
That was hilarious.

I hope it was intended to be that apalling, it certainly had me in stitches...

Dude, didn't you see, it was a TRIBUTE! (I don't know what that means either, but it struck me as funny).

Mediocrefunkybeat said:
I think you'll find otherwise buddy. On the other hand, you'll probably find that is true of you, however.
i'm sorry, i couldn't let it go.; thats just a darn silly comeback.
but i do agree with you to some extent. he isn't really as good as he's cracked up to be. but he is a great drummer regardless. it seems punk fans have stages, and they go something like this.
1."wow, tre cool is the best"
2."wait, no, travis barker is the best"
3.realisation of gadd, weckl, rich etc.

i know, because i went through the same phases. now i feel like a dork, but everyone starts off small with their drumming heroes and builds it up.

wontgetfooledagain said:
I was on another forum where there were actually people trying to figure out which was better: Travis Barker or Neil Peart.

o dear, thats really depressing lol, thats worse than a freshman tryin to figure out what 8 times 6 is WITH a calculator which ive seen before, well i do have respect for travis but honselty thats a no brainer....

he does look ridiculous with the cowboy attire around. :D

he doesn't seem to have any problem playing country songs.

were those zxt titaniums?

I used to love tavis barker but now because of the insight this site has given me I am not such a big fan. I still think he is very talented but i don't think as highly.

syaoran05 said:
being young and in highschool is never an excuse. never ever use that again. just say "my bad" next time. youre giving high school people like me a bad reputation.

maybe its just me or highschool students nowadays are as immature as grade 4 kids?

oh and travis? he's just another pop drummer. nothing special. he does what he has to do. the only thing good about him that i'd like to see in other drummers is that he has good technique. other than that he's just another pop drummer.

"You're giving people like me a bad reputation" Oh please, get over yourself. Don't give yourself the mindset you are on some "level" above me.

Oh yeah, you know, Travis is just another drummer. He's only sold over 20 million albums, not including all the other bands he's recorded with (BCR, Transplants, Black Eyed Peas, etc).

im not a fan, but i must say, im surprised he didnt out play him self.

Back