Maybe We Should Add A Non-Music Discussion Category To The Forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael McDanial

OK, so we've had a few threads here lately that either discussed, or turned into discussions that were not about music. We've also had complaints that these threads should be shut down because they are not about music, or at least the main topic is not music. So I figured maybe we could have a compromise.

A jazz forum of which I am a member has separate categories for "Non-Music Discussion" and "Current Events". The only thing that is off limits for discussion is religion, which is understandable. Could we do the same thing here as well? People originally come here to discuss music, however, people also become friends with other members and it is a community. I love music, and I discuss music with my friends, but I don't talk strictly about music with them, even the ones that are musicians. People make friends here, and sometimes they want to discuss other issues and get the opinions of other people that they have gotten to know. So, like the jazz forum, why don't we create these separate categories? That way the members that want to discuss things other than music can talk about them there, and the people who are only interested in discussing music don't have to go there.

Last edited:
Sorry, I didn't realize that there was the "off topic lounge". So I guess it's just up to administration to decide whether a thread should be moved there or not. How about instead of deleting the Pollyanna thread we just have it moved to the off topic lounge?

Agree Michael. The Off Topic Lounge is the best place for idle chit chat, although personally I don't mind the odd friendly digression.

Funny thing was that I tried to talk music a few times on the thread in question but only Ken and Bob joined in while most preferred to say they didn't like the thread because it wasn't relevant to music. Go figure.

If a thread isn't based on music and we want to change the focus, the power is in our fingers :)

Let's see. We have the "Save Polly" thread posted in General Discussion and we have this thread posted in General Discussion. I somehow don't see the harm in either, existing right where they are. Sure, the Off Topic Lounge might be the best place for both, but let's not make "more work" for Bernhard, DB, and NJ, they deserve some time off and a happy holiday too.

Let's see. We have the "Save Polly" thread posted in General Discussion and we have this thread posted in General Discussion. I somehow don't see the harm in either, existing right where they are. Sure, the Off Topic Lounge might be the best place for both, but let's not make "more work" for Bernhard, DB, and NJ, they deserve some time off and a happy holiday too.

My intention wasn't to make "more work" for them. Sorry, I haven't been here that long and as I said I wasn't aware that there was an "off topic lounge". It's just that there were several complaints about recent threads in general discussion not being related to music. I certainly didn't post it to make things harder for them. I just did it because of the complaints in the other threads.

Oh, well. As my grandfather would say "Ní lía duine na tuairim" (everybody has their opinion)

I Love football / soccer, and my Southend United, and i love music and palying my drums, i have Mapex Saturns, and Zildjian K Cymbal (Love my cymbal).

What drums do you play.

What sticks would you recomed for semi large hands, and who do you think is the best drummer.

Not sure what catergory, this message should go in as it covers most. ehm ???

A few massages in the wrong category's does it really matter.

If you dont like the sound of the title, pass it by, do not waste your time reading it.

What about we have, " I HAVE HAD A BAD DAY" category, were we can just let rip at people or things, just to get of your chest, and then leave the categroy feeling better.

Just a suggestion.

What i would really like is a Spell Check.

I Love football / soccer, and my Southend United, and i love music and palying my drums, i have Mapex Saturns, and Zildjian K Cymbal (Love my cymbal).

What drums do you play.

What sticks would you recomed for semi large hands, and who do you think is the best drummer.

Not sure what catergory, this message should go in as it covers most. ehm ???

A few massages in the wrong category's does it really matter.

A few massages never go astray! ... no spellchecker would have saved you from that one, sufc :)

What kit? I have a Rhythm Traveler kick and mounted tom with a vintage snare that may or may not be Premier. Whatever branding is on it is long gone but it sounds nice. Also have an old mounted djembe that I abuse.

Currently looking at upgrading my ride but may be looking for the impossible dream - a crash/ride with good stick definition that opens up enough for low/medium volume crashing. Fairly bright but with some complexity.

Can't help with sticks for big hands, though. I use the smallest available.

I'm a Bill Bruford-head from way back. He's not the best but I like his playing the best apart from those times when only Ringo will do ...

Last edited:
Very good Pallyonna. LOL

Who needs a "Bad Day Catorgy" when all you need is people with a sense of humour.

Kiwi.

If you dont like the sound of the title, pass it by, do not waste your time reading it.

What i would really like is a Spell Check.

Agreed. Never ceases to amaze me why people don't/won't. Much like Big Brother.....don't like it? Do what I do and change the channel.......same goes for forum topics I would have thought.

I'll second the spell check too.....especially late at night!!

Now......where's that orgy???

Lads, I had a spellcheck addon to Firefox with my old PC and this conversation has prompted me to install it again. Of course it's US spelling, but better than nothing.

Wow, this escalated from massages to an orgy pretty fast!

PS. sufc, if I'm a Kiwi that must make you an Irishman, begorrah! :p

No Redezvous, is a Canadian that wants to be an Irisihman.

Pocket full of gold. Dont know about an Orgy, but Polly is talking about throwing her under wear around at gigs on a diferent thread, but then again my reading is as good as my spelling.

Not very good.

and i could be wrong.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back