Looking to add some electronics to my acoustic set.

Fade2112

I'm thinking of purchasing a drum pad to add on to my set. Something that will enable me to add a more electronic, techno-like sound and also some congo, tabla, etc. settings. I'm in a jam band and hoping it will add a lot more depth to our jams.

Price is also an issue, as I'm looking for one somewhere below $800.

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated!

I've had a Roland SPD-20 percussion pad for the last couple of years that has served me well. You could probably pick one up new or second hand for a good price.

spd_20.jpg

Under $800? Totally go Roland SPD-S!! If you haven't seen any of the videos for it yet, definitely search them on Youtube. It's so versatile and useful.

Gah, can't tell you how much I wish I had an $800 budget. I'd get one in a heart beat.

I second the Roland SPD-S. I bought mine "used" for $325. Not only does it have something like 180+ factory sounds in to, it also, being a sampler, lets you input your own sounds into it.​
If that $800 needs to be completely spent, I run my SPD-S (left channel) thru a Loop Station. I currently have 2 different loop stations. One is an Electro-Harmonix, and the other is a DigiTech. A 3rd really good looper, would be the Boss XL20. All three boxes do "slightly different" things, hence, buy the right tool for the job.​
Another "addition" to spice things up, the Korg Wave drum. Bought mine for $425. Just an awesome piece of hardware. The "sensitivity" on the Korg is astonishing.​

While you can never go wrong with Roland gear, why not check out adding a good used Yamaha DT Express? They can usually be found on Craigslist or Ebay for $400 or so and now you have several crashes, a ride, & snare/bass/tom combinations that are virtually endless. Once I get caught up on some bills around here, I'd like to add a kit to my current acoustic just for the accents and diversity of kit sounds and fills I could add. Just put some or most of it to the left of your current kit and dial in what you need. Just a thought...

Attachments

• yamaha dt express.jpg
    yamaha dt express.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 110
Back