Hero Cat!

That appears to be a completely unprovoked attack. The dog just went after him for no apparent reason. That's a pretty brave cat. Extra treats for sure!

I had a siamese cat that was as protective as any dog.That kid was lucky indeed.That dog was captured and put down by the local animal control.It's a shame,but that kind of behavior in dogs,and people for that matter,shouldn't be tolerated.

Steve B

Poor little kid, that must have been terrifying.

I can't imagine any of my cats being that brave.

Such a cool thing. Our relationship with animals is one of the (sometimes few) things that give me some measure of hope for humanity.

I remember when growing up we were taught that all animal behavior was instinctual. Yet, as I got older and began interacting with more animals and animal owners, it became apparent that many animals had distinct personalities. A co-worker who also raised horses was very adamant about this and when people came to ride, he would take care to match the person to the horse. It seems that recent research is leaning more and more away from the "pure instinct" school of thought, although there are exceptions. I don't know if dogs, cats, horses, etc. think the way humans do (I doubt it on the basis that we tend to think in terms of "self talk" * and animals don't have a formal language like humans) but I suspect there is some logic and emotion running behind those eyes.

* For a fun moment, try to think about something without using "self talk". For example, try to plan out your activities for tomorrow in your head but without using words. I find it takes great effort to not fall into it.

Thanks for sharing that! Amazing. The kid is very lucky for the cat.

Agree with JimFiore. People generally tend to think of cats as selfish creatures, but I've always thought otherwise. It always depends on the animal and it's personality. Initially I thought the cat might be just playing with the dog (in it's mind), but in this case it clearly looks to have been protective of the child.

There's also the misconception that cats couldn't defend themselves against dogs, but it's really the contrary. A smaller dog such as this one is going to have trouble with the claws to the eyes and face, and killer neck bite of even an average size cat such as this one. My twenty pound Maine Coon cat would have shredded that dumb dog.

Awesome video. I had a cat that ran and hid in my closet whenever the doorbell rang..pretty sure he would have never saved me from a vicious dog. lol.

Agree Jim, animals are like us, just simpler and with different senses. I underestimated cats. I would never have imagined a cat would be protective of a human. Clever body bump too - instant results, no further injury to anyone.

When I was young I used to live in fear of aggro dogs but thankfully I never see dogs like that where I live any more. Most are cute little -oodle type crossbreeds or otherwise placid pets though there's a psychotic Alsatian with a muzzle that this insane, aggro man takes out for walks. It's all about the owners, what they want and the example they give to the dog.

Wondering how they got the footage of the dog leading up to the attack. Private CCTV?

Wondering how they got the footage of the dog leading up to the attack. Private CCTV?

Yes, the father gave an interview and mentioned that he had home surveillance cameras.

The prices have come down so far in the past few years that many people are putting the systems in.

It's all about the owners, what they want and the example they give to the dog.

Agreed. I think that's a huge part of it. Years ago I came to the conclusion that if I don't like a dog, chances are I won't like the owner and vice versa. But some animals are just plain nuts in spite of their owners. I've learned to stay away from purebred miniatures. They all seem to have nervous tics and psycho behavior.

It's all about the owners, what they want and the example they give to the dog.

Exactly. I wish more people though this way.

My brother has had a Rottweiler for a few years. They are not all the aggressive dogs that they have the reputation for. In fact, he's about the sweetest, most gentle, loving dog I have ever seen.

The guy that he got him from is very adamant about selling the Rotts to the right people. He will actually interview the prospects as well as visit their home. If he even thinks there is a hint of them using the dogs for any nefarious purpose, he won't sell to them.

Agreed. I think that's a huge part of it. Years ago I came to the conclusion that if I don't like a dog, chances are I won't like the owner and vice versa. But some animals are just plain nuts in spite of their owners. I've learned to stay away from purebred miniatures. They all seem to have nervous tics and psycho behavior.

True. Our bassist's fox terrier is insane but the family are mellow people. One time the dopey thing tried to stalk me.

Exactly. I wish more people though this way.

My brother has had a Rottweiler for a few years. They are not all the aggressive dogs that they have the reputation for. In fact, he's about the sweetest, most gentle, loving dog I have ever seen.

Yep, a guy who's staying in a flat off my home as a boxer and it's the biggest softie, except when he tries to hump my leg. It's a bit of an art to angle your lower legs to avoid being marked with little spots of dog semen, which is a gross out lol

Like many, I'm surprised at this video. I knew cats could be affectionate but you don't normally think of them as an animal to bail you out in a crisis like dogs sometimes do. Impressed with the ninja move too! The cat couldn't have gotten the dog to release any quicker.

Some traits have been bred so strongly into dogs that they can override any later environmental conditioning towards social behavior.

The American Pit Bull is such a breed. Most of them are wonderful, if stubborn dogs. But a percentage of them just cannot stand little, high pitched, squeaky things running around (like smaller animals or kids). That percentage gives the breed its bad name (in addition to the fact that they barely feel pain and can bite like an industrial press)

I love animals but I am never shocked anymore at their ability to just snap, whether it's because of the owner or some other factor. Hell, people do it all the time.

What really got me about the dog's behavior in this video was how quickly he went from just walking around to attack mode. As soon as he sensed the kid, he went right for him. It seems to me that the dog had probably exhibited some kind of anti-social behavior previously that was ignored by the owners.

What really got me about the dog's behavior in this video was how quickly he went from just walking around to attack mode.
That dog treated the child as prey - pure & simple.

As you so rightly point out Jeff, all animals, & especially humans, have the potential to change with little or no provocation/notice, so care should always be exercised. I'm a major dog lover, & animal lover period, but along with that affection lives respect, & that makes me cautious sometimes.

Owners of "trophy" dogs however are a separate & mostly pathetic scumbag breed all unto themselves. I'm not referring specifically to a breed or breeds of dog, more the "trophy" environment forged by pathetic people who need their ego stroking to prop up their insecure pathetic small minded lives. These are the type of tossers who set their dogs onto other defenceless animals, or otherwise engage in animal abuse activities further associated with being a total waste of valuable oxygen. Put the owners down, & rehouse the dogs!

Yep, a guy who's staying in a flat off my home as a boxer and it's the biggest softie, except when he tries to hump my leg. It's a bit of an art to angle your lower legs to avoid being marked with little spots of dog semen, which is a gross out lol

Dang Pol. You actually let the dog hump your leg long enough to finish? Now THAT is gross... Most folks would shoo him away pretty quickly. It's okay to me accommodating to pets but that may be a bit too far. :)

BTW, if he's doing that, I would wager he's not a "softie"...

That appears to be a completely unprovoked attack. The dog just went after him for no apparent reason. That's a pretty brave cat. Extra treats for sure!

It appears to be, but in the dogs mind it was probably a territorial thing.

You can see in the first frames (long version) the dog picks up a scent and probably gets audible info.

I wouldn't doubt the kid had a load in his/her pants, which is something that could easily trigger an attack response in a dog. In a suburb setting like that, dog is free from confined space and smells fresh #1 or 2, they'd probably confront/attack if the stars aren't aligned for the pooper.

Dang Pol. You actually let the dog hump your leg long enough to finish? Now THAT is gross... Most folks would shoo him away pretty quickly. It's okay to me accommodating to pets but that may be a bit too far. :)

BTW, if he's doing that, I would wager he's not a "softie"...

No no, Brady, he didn't finish! When it happen I try to look in the dog's eye to see if anyone is "home" that might realise how ridiculous this behaviour is. Sometimes he gets the hint and backs off. If not, he is moved on.

So the undesired moisture I refer to is something already present on the dog's anatomy ... how do I describe this on a family forum? Um ... the first few letters of a famous Roy Orbison tune plus the first word of a Beatles song that refers to "toe jam football".

:)

Back