DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 11-15-2012, 06:09 PM
Platinum Member

Default Going off the Preferred set up thread...

Do you guy's think MOST people still go through kit size "phases", or kinda stick to one type (bigger/smaller)?

I will start with, when I was starting, there was NO Modern Drummer, no clinic tours, no video's, mass marketing YouTube OR drum catalogs to drool over, and dream of amassing a lot of "stuff".

I started on a plain old 5 piece when I was a kid (after about a year on a pad, and a snare) and there was not really "hardware" out there.
My bass drum pedal at one point was held together in two places with metal coat hanger wire haha!

Later, I got some used drums from a seller in the local paper, and the kit that was the best stuff at the price, had 2 bass drums (and 2 Speed Kings!). I didn't set out to have 2 bass drums, it just happened that way... of course a year or so later, I inched my way up to a "Neil Peart" type kit.

Then I went to a "Tommy Aldridge" set up with the cymbals and all that--yeah it was cool, and I was young so I didn't care about lugging around 8 cymbal stands when I started playing out haha!
What turned out to be my favorite, most fun set up back then was a few less cymbals and just ONE tom between the 2 bass drums (inappropriate joke here).

My set up NOW isn't "small" because of 3 floor toms, and the larger size drums I like the sound of better--but the main thing is--I am WAAY past thinking on a gig I'd not be happy, or feel like I "just couldn't do what I wanted" on a 4 piece kit. More, or less pieces of gear doesn't enter my mind as far as if I can play the songs or not.
It doesn't enter my mind that my creativity is stifled because of less stuff.

Going off a kits amount/pieces, who was the more creative? Michael Shrieve with Santana on a small kit, or Dennis Chambers playing with him now on a Megazord kit??
Does it matter? Aren't they as creative as each other??

Doesn't it still just come down to playing and "going with the music", and not how many different sounds you can make playing the same music??
Michael Shrieve played the more well known songs (and solo) on a dinky kit compared to what Dennis uses.

Could someone play metal and be as creative with fills on a 4 or 5 piece, a double pedal and just a couple cymbals?

If you are playing music in the style that Derek Roddy (since he's here, and has an insane right foot) is playing, does someone need to have 4 rack toms and 8 cymbals to really play the music?
Couldn't a fill sound just as cool between snare and one or two other drums as on 4 or 5?

Is it more about the image for the style of music?

Would an average (non touring/local) band not seem "as legit" if their drummer had less gear, OR is it more of a "if you are playing fast multiples on one drum, instead of breaking them up between 2 or 3, the notes are just not as clear sounding"? Is it about hand placement before going to a cymbal crash??

Rush wouldn't be "Rush" without the orchestra chimes, wind chimes, tympani, gong, timbale sounds (all now on pads) he used after the second album (not to mention THE TS fill), but not every band is playing orchestrated pieces of music with different sections and movements either.

Is it just in our heads that we feel like we "need" a certain set up to play certain styles,
or, is it because we just like "stuff"?

This has been my longest post in a long time, so thanks for the indulgence if you got this far :-)
Just wondering what people think.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:20 PM

Default Re: Going off the Preferred set up thread...

I used to want a huge kit because the guys that inspired me all played them. Then I figured out I had to carry all of that stuff so I've settled into a nice five sometimes six piece kit for practicality's sake.

I do notice things that I don't have for the music's sake when the guys I'm playing with are tuning guitars to open C minor that I wish I had a couple of different voices on my toms because of the shift in pitch.

Great question by the way.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlCrafton View Post
What turned out to be my favorite, most fun set up back then was a few less cymbals and just ONE tom between the 2 bass drums
Probably my fav set up, before the advent of the double-pedal. 2 kicks, 1 rack, 2 floors.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:03 PM
Platinum Member

I'm sure everyone's journey is a bit different.

Before I took up drums, I was really into Journey (Steve Smith and his 9 pc Red kit), The Who (both Keith and Kenny Jones with large double bass kits) and Rush ('nuff said), so I was sort of under the impression large kit = good before I even decided to play drums.

I started on a 5 pc, went to 6, went to 7 pc double bass kit with a rack.
Then the reality of gigging set in, so my base set up went back to a 5pc, 10", 12 " rack toms with a 16" floor toom, and it stayed that way for years and years.

And while I own a 9 pc double bass kit, I don't feel that comfortable behind it. I'm so used to playing a 5 pc, that's pretty much what I stick too (although I will scaled down to 4 pc when more appropriate).

I still get excited at looking at big mega kits, and can appreciate what it takes to play one, but I'm not so interested in playing large kits myself.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:13 PM
Anthony Amodeo

been through the journey .........an over 30 year journey

from 2 kicks, 3 rack, 2 floor, 5 crash , 1 china, 1 ride

to a 4 piece, 2 rides and some hats ....0 crash ....(which is back to the very first set up I ever played on in the late 70s)

.... between them was everything you can imagine

I think everyone who gigs a lot gets to a point where they boil their kit down to the bare root essence ......and finally end up bringing only what they need

to some gigs in Manhattan where the clubs are small, stages are tight, have stairwells, and pack up completely full of people which makes loading out a nightmare.......Ill bring a kick, snare , hat , and ride.....and boom....I'm out of the club in one trip

excuse me....excuse me.....behind you....thank you....excuse me.....behind you....comin through.....thank you....boom...into the car and gone

Last edited by Anthony Amodeo; 11-15-2012 at 07:32 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I will start with, when I was starting, there was NO Modern Drummer, no clinic tours, no video's, mass marketing YouTube OR drum catalogs to drool over, and dream of amassing a lot of "stuff".
Although this could be a factor in why people nowadays want big kits, the phenomenon did happen. Recall that back in the day the one guy who got everyone into two bass drums was Louie Bellson, and then Rufus Jones, and of course, who can forget Sonny Greer with Duke Ellington when he came out with all that stuff at the Cotton Club? Marketing was happening way back then, the pace was just a little slower. So I'm sure this argument has been raging at least since then.

I think there's a little societal discrepancy on this issue though. I mean, I never see people openly saying "why does the piano need 88 keys?" or "can we get rid of some of that brass on the tuba?" or "why does the guitar need six strings? Surely he can play with less strings?". But drummers are always chastised for not fitting on the bandstand, or whose gear is taking up the most space in the van - yet everyone agrees a good drummer is worth his weight in gold. I think society as a whole would be behind drummers who like to use alot of stuff if everything was just a bit bigger to accommodate them ;)

But I've done it too. Wanted big kits, got them, then went small, then went big again. It's like clothes to me.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:48 PM

I am a hard rock, metal and punk drummer and have used the following

1 kick, 2 racks, 1 floor

1 kick, 1 rack, 1 or 2 floor

1 kick, 2 rack, 2 floor

I don't like kits with 2 basses to much to carry.

I've tried many other set ups but always go back to a one up one (or two) down.

Cymbals:
Many set ups
1-3 crashes
1 ride
1-2 hats
2 splashes
1 bell

Prefer
2 crash (18's)
Ride (18-24)
2 Hats (14's)
Splash (10 and 12)
Bell (7)
Old 11-15-2012, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
I mean, I never see people openly saying "why does the piano need 88 keys?"
they're not schlepping one key at a time. :)
Old 11-15-2012, 09:08 PM
Platinum Member

I know a few really good keyboardists who have nice weighted action 88 key boards. What do they show up at the gig with? A little Nord Electro. At the local scene end of things the working pros tend to drag in only what is necessary. Drummers tend to use 4 piece and 2-3 cymbals. Sometimes dispensing with the floor tom as well. Usually the quickest way to tell a part time player with a day job from a varsity pro filling in an empty evening is the amount of gear they haul in. I know a bass player who gets tons of equipment on endorsement for the world tours he does. For a local gig he just brings in a 2-10 Carvin cab which is really light. Plays great either way. If someone else is moving it and setting it up, then impressing the public is the priority. If they're moving it and setting it up, then being able to make the music is the priority.

I think there is an evolution where people get caught up in the equipment. More and better stuff. And after awhile, they learn that it is them and their playing that makes the difference. So they zero in on what is musically useful for what they are doing. For drums, I believe that you should have some contrast in sounds. Several toms that are similar in sound tends to blur together. Really large toms get lost in the bass player or are indistinguishable from the kick drum. Same with tons of cymbals. A few sounds that are obviously different will let you create. Running a single stroke roll down 6 toms that are an inch different in size and tuned a third apart isn't very creative in my book.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:12 AM
audiotech

I play whatever drums I can scrounge up, but I was never into a two bass drum per kit scenario.

Dennis
Old 11-16-2012, 02:54 AM
"Uncle Larry"

What was the question again?

I think everyone evolves, but like Bo said, (not on this thread) we all go back home it seems (or something like that)

Some people change a lot (Bo for instance has gone through at least 3 different kit approaches within the last year and a half, right Bo? ) Some change kits/setups every 4 or 5 years (like me).

Change is good.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:28 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
What was the question again?

I think everyone evolves, but like Bo said, (not on this thread) we all go back home it seems (or something like that)

Some people change a lot (Bo for instance has gone through at least 3 different kit approaches within the last year and a half, right Bo? ) Some change kits/setups every 4 or 5 years (like me).

Change is good.
Correct! Drumsets are like clothes to me ;)

I've been working hard getting my Zendrum up and running - lots of pre-programming I'm doing over the next day or so, but I'll be showing that off in the next week too.

But regarding the 'going home' part, with the death of my dad, I'm seriously looking at some vintage Slingerlands since that's what mom and dad got me started on long ago. Probably like you, Larry, just a vintage brand to remind me where I came from - not necessarily a new set-up or anything. Just more of a realization that the more things change, the more they stay the same.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:41 AM
Platinum Member

Maybe I'm stuck in a rut, but about 95% of the time I've been playing, I've used a standard 5 piece kit. Only in the last year, I've tried 4 and 6 pieces, but still spend most of my time with 5. Comfortable and familiar.
Same with cymbals - hats, right side larger ride, left side smaller crash/ride.
Never had a double bass drum setup, never had a large, over the top set-up.
Just the way I roll, I guess.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:20 AM
Platinum Member

The last 36 years took me through all of the stages with double bass setups, multiple toms and cymbals in every direction.

I'm positive back when I first started it was due to looking at all the ads in Modern Drummer and the paraphernalia I used to get mailed to my house (remember when you could do that?).

As time moved on evolution took hold and I became more informed and began settling into what would become the style path I'd choose, gear began to reflect that. This is a good thing because now my unwilling to move with much gear corresponds nicely with what I have settled on.

I do think the setup I have been using for the last several years is going to remain the same until I pass away, which is when I hang the instrument up.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:48 PM
Gold Member

I just love playing. I love playing my full bhuna kit with 3 racks and 2 floors and lots of cymbals, but I get just as much out of sitting at my daughter's mini kit (4 piece, small sizes, with a crash, a ride and some hats). I like to experiment with my set up too- different no's of toms etc. This weekend it'll be a 6 piece as we don't have room in the venue for both floors and the week after it will be a 4 piece again.

Changing my set up keeps me thinking.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:48 PM

Yes I think most people's setup evolves over time. When people first start playing, they often try to mimic the drummers who inspire them. Even to the point of equipment. There's nothing wrong with it, beginners need to start somewhere. Drum manufacturers of course capitalize on it with endorsements and advertising.

As one gains experience, opinions change as one realizes what their needs really are to get the job done. Practicality also comes into play. The 9 piece double bass kit that was so cool when it never moved from the garage isn't as cool when you start gigging with it every weekend.

Also it seems like people are thinking more about their drums and how they're setup now. Being a left handed drummer on a mostly right handed setup I was always conscious about my setup; seemingly more so than some. For instance I've always angled my bass drum to my right and offset the two toms to the left, as if there was a second bass drum. After my first double bass kit it always felt more comfortable and natural than the way other guys conformed their bodies to play on a bass drum pointing forward with 2 toms on top of it.

For me personally I think "I'm there" with my current setup, but it's been an evolution over 27 years influenced by such things as my timpani experience, the fact that I'm primarily left handed, I once played a double bass kit, and now I'm a minimalist that adds pieces or instruments to the kit as the gig requires.

I can cover most drumset gigs with a 4 pc. kit and 2 cymbals. I strongly like to add a third cymbal and second floor tom on my left. I've been playing this setup for a long while now and I'm most comfortable with it.

Name:  IMG_0275.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  88.7 KB

Lately the two floor toms have been reversed, lowest on left, and I put my old 18' HH up instead of that AAX, but that's the basic idea.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:00 PM

I have always preferred the 5 piece set up. Back in the 60s, I "drooled" over the old Ludwig catalog I had and yearned for the 5 piece Hollywood kit.

Two mounted toms just looked cool to me, not to mention seeing Dave Clark play that Rogers kit with two mounted toms!

The music I have played over the years when I was gigging, didn't require a monster set-up. A four piece kit would have done the job but I preferred a five piece set-up.

One thing I have noticed around here with drummers who have big kits, is that they tend to hit every last item in that kit....even on slow ballad tunes. But that's another thread.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:45 PM
Pioneer Member

My experience has been similar to most over the past 30 years.

Started out with a 4 piece, then got inspired by larger kits.

Two significant points in the evolution of my preferred set up are my increased awareness of what I truly require to participate in the music I (we) play and my abandonment of the false notion that ergonomics and aesthetics are highly compatible.

I read a great story about an older jazz drummer that stopped showing up at gigs with a snare, cymbals, pedal and even sticks. Whatever was provided for him was what he used and he enjoyed adapting to the differences that provided him a "fresh musical experience every time".

I really thought that this approach was fantastic and I adopted it as my method to adapting to different setups at sit-ins and jam sessions as well as what personal equipment I would bring to our own gigs. This led to some interesting realizations.

Decided to do a whole gig with just a kick, snare, hats and a ride. Not one person commented (not even other musos) that the music suffered for the lack of drums or cymbals. I was almost disappointed that my spartan setup went unnoticed.

I played a whole gig with a 10 in. rack tom and a 12 in. rack as a floor tom. I forgot the legs for my 16 in. floor tom. Same scenario. Sounded great and no one said anything or noticed.

The realization was that most of my beliefs regarding set ups were mostly based on conventions, trends and hearsay.

Nowadays, when I'm not enjoying the "freshness" of using whatever is provided for me or whatever I decide to bring, I have settled into my preferred set up of a 4 piece, ride in the 1 o'clock position, hats, two crashes and a china. All located in the typical spots.

If I'm going to spend the time to set up a more elaborate kit, then I just add on without changing the position of the "core" kit. A floor tom gets added to the right. A rack tom to the left. Double crashes left. Double crashes right. I get to enjoy having more choices but I can also play it just like the smaller 4 piece.

I used to be way too concerned with how my set up looked. Is my rack tom squared up to my bass drum and my snare? Does my floor tom look better when it's flat, even though it's more comfortable to play tilted in a little bit? I was playing a friends kit and I adjusted one of his rack toms and he almost freaked out. His comment that "it took me a long time to get all the toms set up even and straight like that" revealed how silly I was with my ideas of the way a set up should be.

My point of view works for me, but I do see merit in the choice to have a consistent set up. I understand a little better now why drummers like Gadd, Bonham, Chad Smith and I'm sure countless others never change(d) their set ups. It's part of establishing and perpetuating a signature sound.

To answer the original question, I think it is not either or..

.. I think most people go through phases and then make their way back to some kind of comfort level and then just stick with that, whether it's a bigger or smaller set up.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:37 PM

I have two kits, one is a 4 piece bop kit in a 12/14/18 configuration and a five piece kit with 12/13/16/22 sizes. Two crashes 18 and 19 inch, one splash and a ride, 13 inch and 14 inch hats. I've never had any setup larger than a five piece, just haven't felt the need although I do like the look of some folks monster kits!

TTNW, I share your experience with minimal setups and no one noticing the difference! Most of the music I'm playing now days doesn't call for more than the most basic of set ups. I haven't pulled the 5 piece out in a year now with the bop kit getting all of the action.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:56 PM

Drum kits are personal choice. Music is an art, and each artist can choose to express themselves as THEY see fit.

I am sure there are enough Q&A's on the internet from some GREAT drummers and why they prefer big kits.

Within these big kits are a basic core to the rhythms. The rest of the pieces are added tools, or colors on the palette.

Each tom size has its own sweet spot, and each cymbal is different.

4 racked toms doesn't mean a drummer only "rolls around" on them. If you haven't figured that out, then give it a try.

Drums are more than timekeeping, they are musical instruments, and if they weren't, there wouldn't be so much discussed
about TUNING them?

Last edited by SirRimshot; 11-20-2012 at 12:07 AM.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:11 PM
Platinum Member

I've never met anyone personally who just keeps adding stuff to their kit once they can actually play. Usually I see beginners buying tons of toms and cymbals... I chalk this up to not having a sense of feel yet, or the voices that you can pull from each "thing" on your kit. Once we mature in our drumming, we see that it's really the rhythms that matter, and not 4 high toms to roll around. Since there are hundreds of ways to voice any given rhythm, why do we need more and more kit parts?
Old 11-19-2012, 11:18 PM
audiotech

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson View Post
I've never met anyone personally who just keeps adding stuff to their kit once they can actually play. Usually I see beginners buying tons of toms and cymbals... I chalk this up to not having a sense of feel yet, or the voices that you can pull from each "thing" on your kit. Once we mature in our drumming, we see that it's really the rhythms that matter, and not 4 high toms to roll around. Since there are hundreds of ways to voice any given rhythm, why do we need more and more kit parts?
Evedently we never met, lol. Who said anything about need. If you want it and can afford it, get it. That's my philosophy.

Dennis
Old 11-19-2012, 11:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiotech View Post
Evedently we never met, lol. Who said anything about need. If you want it and can afford it, get it. That's my philosophy.

Dennis
Obviously there will be gear heads who also are good players, I was just speaking from the drummers I know. For me, it's all just stuff. I can be pretty happy with a stick from the yard and a can to bang on if that's all there is. When I sit down at huge kits, I end up literally looking around at all the stuff and options for things to hit while I play. When I'm doing that, I'm not focusing on the music, so for me, it's almost a case of the less, the better.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:04 AM
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTNW View Post
I read a great story about an older jazz drummer that stopped showing up at gigs with a snare, cymbals, pedal and even sticks. Whatever was provided for him was what he used and he enjoyed adapting to the differences that provided him a "fresh musical experience every time".

I really thought that this approach was fantastic and I adopted it as my method to adapting to different setups at sit-ins and jam sessions as well as what personal equipment I would bring to our own gigs. This led to some interesting realizations.

Decided to do a whole gig with just a kick, snare, hats and a ride. Not one person commented (not even other musos) that the music suffered for the lack of drums or cymbals.
+1

I don't have much vision so I try to fit in to what instrument is available. I've found that larger kits confuse me; there are too many options and I feel all at sea. Theoretically, I could just play a larger kit as though it was a 4- or 5-piece ... but the unused toms and cymbals keep calling out "play me, play me" :)

Like you, I played a couple of gigs with kick, snare, hats and ride ... no one noticed even though, to my ear, some of the songs significantly missed the timbrel contrast of the toms. I guess most people don't care about drums, just as long as there's a catchy beat.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:22 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirRimshot View Post
Drum kits are personal choice. Music is an art, and each artist can choose to express themselves as THEY see fit.

I changed my entire post because of post-assumptions.

I am sure there are enough Q&A's on the internet from some GREAT drummers and why they prefer big kits.

Within these big kits are a basic core to the rhythms. The rest of the pieces are added tools, or colors on the palette.

4 racked toms doesn't mean a drummer only "rolls around" on them. If you haven't figured that out, then give it a try.

Drums are more than timekeeping, they are musical instruments, and if they weren't, there wouldn't be so much discussed
about TUNING them?
Hey, welcome to the forum! Post #1, cool!

What were you going to say pre-change? A little bit of the tone suggests that I may be less experienced that I am. Don't take that as anything personal, you have valid points on everything you said, and, wouldn't it be great if more people knew how to tune their dang drums?....

I agree 100% that kits are personal choice. Whatever someone "feels" is what they should play.
If I had just gone by what "others" have said (over the years), I wouldn't use the set up & sizes I have though. One of my friends who worked at the shop thought I was crazy for using 4 floor toms (2 each side), but when he saw how I used them, he thought it was really cool haha!
I've had 4, more, and less toms, and I never did get into just "rolling around on them". That's one thing that has been very consistent with my playing, I was never a roundhouse fill type of player.

I think my questions on WHY drummers of certain styles have multiple toms is legit though.
There's always a purpose, weather it's because things are more clearly translated "note-wise" (things can't get muddy), or because of a vibe it puts out, or people just think it looks cool.

With the minimal cymbals I (mainly) use, I enjoy the fact that I can get multiple sounds out of the specific cymbals I use, and I don't need to have more. Sometimes I do use more, but it has more to do with the particular band, venue size.
I'm playing a smaller show Wednesday night at a 500+ seater, decent size place, and I'm using two cymbals and my hats, but in December, my band is playing another show with Steel Panther, and it's a big Rock thing, so I'll use more cymbals for "the show".
The actual kit of drums stays the same though.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:40 AM

“Other people did the pioneering,” he confesses, “like Bill Bruford and Terry Bozzio. I always considered myself like Henry Ford: watch what everybody else does, and then ‘Okay, it’s ready now.’ I don’t really like to pioneer, but once I realize that something is irresistibly useful musically, like Simmons drums were and later electronic drums and sampling – I mean, to be able to have every percussion sound in the world, and some that you make yourself, to have that available under your hands and feet, it was irresistible. I’m not really a technology lover, but its uses as a tool just became irresistible to me.”

----Neil Peart

Karl, thanks for the welcome. I've been playing since the 60's and enjoy playing a Big Kit which is wrapped around a 4 piece because I can keep the time while also being musical because the tools are right in front of me.

I went back to double kicks versus double pedal for several reasons without compromising
the positioning of my HH and Ride. Works for me anyways.

But I didn't split the double kick pedal. I tuned each kick differently. I can use the slave for identical sound, use the left kick for differing
sounds, and/or rotate between both in a varying pattern. Just something new to try while being creative.

Last edited by SirRimshot; 11-20-2012 at 12:56 AM.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:44 AM
Platinum Member

I think that as we age we diminish the sense of easy wonder...the question "what if".

...in that context, we care less about the restrictions of a smaller number of voices to draw from.

At the same time, our wisdom grows and we can say more with less...though more difficult to perceive.

gains and losses...the story of maturing.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:59 AM
Silver Member

start:
First kit, Astro:
-5 piece, hat & crash
-6 piece, hat, ride, 3 crash, 2 splash, china (want to add as much as possible now)
-up to Two kick drums
(kicked out of band, want to change it up)
down to 2 rack toms, add left china, left ride - Gene Hoglanesque
decide to see if I can play with 1 rack, can
now I want to see how little I can get away with.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:13 PM

Before I became a drummer, I always thought small set ups with one up / one down toms and just a couple of cymbals looked much cooler than mega kits. Once I started playing drums, I had no choice but use a small set up because of the tiny stages and type of music my band plays. There are gigs where I don't even use a floor tom or a cymbal larger than 18". A 20" ride ends up being in the guitar player's way sometimes! I am always thinking of ways to save floor space and consolidate gear.

I am still not into real big set ups, but it is a treat to play decent size stages where I can utilize my 5-piece kit with a couple of crashes and a ride. Also, one day I would love to be able to play a 24" ride (a Giant Beat most likely!)
Old 11-20-2012, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Do you guy's think MOST people still go through kit size "phases", or kinda stick to one type (bigger/smaller)?

**I always have a big kit that at its root is a standard 4-piece surrounded by my tools of choice**

**So did I, you maybe saw kits on TV(AB or other music shows), LP jackets, etc.**

I started on a plain old 5 piece when I was a kid (after about a year on a pad, and a snare) and there was not really "hardware" out there.
My bass drum pedal at one point was held together in two places with metal coat hanger wire haha!

**I made my 1st Kit out of household items before my first 5 piece kit**

Later, I got some used drums from a seller in the local paper, and the kit that was the best stuff at the price, had 2 bass drums (and 2 Speed Kings!). I didn't set out to have 2 bass drums, it just happened that way... of course a year or so later, I inched my way up to a "Neil Peart" type kit.

**My first REAL pedal was a used Speed King, and eventually went double kick Slingerland in the late 70s(with 2 Speed Kings)**

Then I went to a "Tommy Aldridge" set up with the cymbals and all that--yeah it was cool, and I was young so I didn't care about lugging around 8 cymbal stands when I started playing out haha!

**I did then, and still use many cymbals for differing sounds. My current RH rhythm section starts with RIDE/splash/closed hats/Tamb/Bell/two China's topped with
a 16" and 18" crash, one a darker Sabian, the other a bright Paiste. I like to drive the time on the Ride so I like to accentuate with the LH between beats coming off the snare with
several crashes top left including a piercing Paiste Sound Formula 16". The go to cymbals
out front are all A Custom Zildjians and one AAXplosion Sabian(best sounding cymbal) and Wuhan 18" TRAD mixed in because it sounds good to me.**

My set up NOW isn't "small" because of 3 floor toms, and the larger size drums I like the sound of better--but the main thing is--I am WAAY past thinking on a gig I'd not be happy, or feel like I "just couldn't do what I wanted" on a 4 piece kit. More, or less pieces of gear doesn't enter my mind as far as if I can play the songs or not.
It doesn't enter my mind that my creativity is stifled because of less stuff.

**As I mentioned before, take a 4-piece and surround it with tools of choice. If a song
asks for nothing more than the time, play the time, and if the next tune asks for more, then
you have it in place**

Going off a kits amount/pieces, who was the more creative? Michael Shrieve with Santana on a small kit, or Dennis Chambers playing with him now on a Megazord kit??
Does it matter? Aren't they as creative as each other??

**There is no right or wrong**

Doesn't it still just come down to playing and "going with the music", and not how many different sounds you can make playing the same music??

**When NP does the Buddy thing, he replicates the jazz kit, one up/two down and the music calls for that, then with RUSH, take that jazz kit and wrap it around with toys
because the music calls for it, and that music is who he is as an artist**

Could someone play metal and be as creative with fills on a 4 or 5 piece, a double pedal and just a couple cymbals?

**METAL isnt my bag, but with double pedals you can do great fills/beats regardless of genre**

If you are playing music in the style that Derek Roddy (since he's here, and has an insane right foot) is playing, does someone need to have 4 rack toms and 8 cymbals to really play the music?

Couldn't a fill sound just as cool between snare and one or two other drums as on 4 or 5?

**Want vs. Need** An artist is an individual and makes their own choices**

Rush wouldn't be "Rush" without the orchestra chimes, wind chimes, tympani, gong, timbale sounds (all now on pads) he used after the second album (not to mention THE TS fill), but not every band is playing orchestrated pieces of music with different sections and movements either.

Is it just in our heads that we feel like we "need" a certain set up to play certain styles,
or, is it because we just like "stuff"?

**Could be both**
I can safely say that my kit is a product of both my early influences plus my evolution/maturity as a drummer. I have a big kit, but I will ocassionaly have a practice
session where I never strike a tom, stay rooted to the groove.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:48 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
It depends, for some going through the "phases" is also to bring a "new" approach to kit, or to suits the music they play, for others, like Simon Phillips who has the same setup for the past 40 years, they prefer the "one type" :)

I started on a basic five piece set up, then moved on to a larger set up, then larger still, then adding some more :) ... after a few years, I went the opposite direction, and started to remove items from the kit... and now I play a 4 piece kit, I even gave up the double bass drum pedal, it's back to the source, and I like it very much...

...but showbusiness is showbusiness, on certain stage and type of music, you expect to see a given type of set up :)
Old 11-22-2012, 08:31 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad About Drums View Post

...but showbusiness is showbusiness, on certain stage and type of music, you expect to see a given type of set up :)
That's about where I am. When I played in a prog/metal band, it would have been sacrilegious to show up without two kicks. Eventually, things changed and I got tired of dragging the other kick around and got a double pedal. 8 toms became 4 toms when I noticed what I was using the most, and cymbals were dialed back a bit for the same reason.

Sometimes I would bring out the big kit for an all-nighter because some people liked seeing me play it, but the meat-and-potatoes kit hasn't gone beyond a 6-pc, 2-up, 2-down. The music would have to demand a larger kit for me to bring it because frankly, it's not as much fun to be your own tech with a big kit when you'd rather be relaxing and having a beer after all of that!

Cymbals are a bit different for me. I like my copy of Bozzio's RADIA setup because it's more like having one instrument made out of 8 cymbals that work with each other (as opposed to 8 pet cymbals that are there for the sake of MORE). Besides, cymbals are relatively flat and they pack easy, and I use DW stackers so it cuts my stand burden in half. I could bring a 4-pc kit and still have an insane amount of cymbals with it.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:14 PM
Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirRimshot View Post

about TUNING them?
Well Said!.............