DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:49 PM
Gold Member

Default Do you ever pull the, "Oops my sticks are in the wrong hand!" prank?

ie do you purposely just really suck, and then when people look at you funny you say, "Oops! The stick are in the wrong hands!" and then start playing again like you usually do?

I think this would be funny to do the first time you play for someone or doing a competition, or a try out.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:54 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Do you ever pull the, "Oops my sticks are in the wrong hand!" prank?

how many hands do you have?
Old 11-09-2012, 12:01 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Do you ever pull the, "Oops my sticks are in the wrong hand!" prank?

I used to work with a guy that worked at Fender during the CBS era. They also owned Rodgers at the time. In their final quality control department, they had an inspector named Richard Hand (I'm sure he grew up with all the Dick jokes he could take) and a lot of the boxes got stamped R. Hand as he checked them prior to shipment. So, you know where this is going. Sure enough, they get a call from some guy ranting that he is their largest dealer in the midwest with some multitude of stores and he just got in 25 boxes of right hand drumsticks. And he's pissed as all get out wanting to know where in the hell the left hand ones are.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:30 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

I do the "key change" trick, pouting whenever the band has to change keys for the singer, and then start re-tuning my drums.

My favorite in stores or at NAMM is to go up to a kit with RIMS mounted toms, grab the toms and move it (while the RIMS mount remains stable) and tell them "hey, this tom's loose!" Gets em every time!

Bermuda
Old 11-09-2012, 12:51 AM
"Uncle Larry"

I like it when a singer specifically tells me which key the song is in, not having a clue that I don't require that. I never heard the sticks are in the wrong hand line though...Aeolian, too funny man. R hand. Lol. The depth of human stupidity amazes me. I include myself in that statement.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:59 AM
Silver Member

YES!!!! ....No. Never.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:19 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
I do the "key change" trick, pouting whenever the band has to change keys for the singer, and then start re-tuning my drums.

My favorite in stores or at NAMM is to go up to a kit with RIMS mounted toms, grab the toms and move it (while the RIMS mount remains stable) and tell them "hey, this tom's loose!" Gets em every time!

Bermuda
Haha, yes, I do the band "key change" one too. Pisses the singer off every time ;)

P.S. If we do NAMM, I hope you try that trick with our RIMS lug mounts ;)
Old 11-09-2012, 01:30 AM
Platinum Member

I just prefer the pull the 'oops, wrong instrument tonight' trick. Then I go and pick up a guitar. Doesn't excuse the fact that my guitar playing is just as ropey but at least that way I can get away with a few more mistakes!
Old 11-09-2012, 02:11 AM
Platinum Member

I've occasionally had someone turn around and tell me the key. Usually as a joke at a jam or casual. Sometimes I'll press one stick on the tom changing the pitch around while hitting it with the other and looking at them expectantly "Is this right?". Once in a while I'll pull out a tuning key and make like I'm going to use it. Don't think anyone's ever taken me seriously though.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:15 AM
Renegade

I have right and left sticks, the more worn one is in my right hand (I don't chew through sticks with rim shots). I like a little wear to soften the head of new sticks, and when the bead loses too much attack it's demoted to my left hand, which plays more drums than cymbals.

A couple of times I've waited for everyone to tune up and say "Okay, what do you want to play" and announce that they will need to be quiet for me to tune. I think it surprised them a bit - perhaps a little guilt at their impoliteness.

Good :)
Old 11-09-2012, 04:58 AM
Platinum Member

Only time I ever saw that "trick" was on an episode of the show "Modern Family", which incidentally, is hilarious quite often.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:30 PM
Platinum Member

Ugh. Yes, I have done this. But, with the weight difference between some of my stick pairs, I do notice being a tad "off" if the slightly heavier stick is in my left hand.

Also, I've done my version of the "tuning" gag, which I press one of the sticks into the middle of the head, bending the pitch up and down a few times before finally "settling" on a pitch when done. I have actually fooled other musicians with this, several times...

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 11-09-2012, 08:34 PM
Platinum Member

I tried the joke last night and got a really good laugh from two of the guys. One guy just stood there kinda dumbfounded that I just said that. Ahh, it was good. Thanks!
Old 11-09-2012, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPockets View Post
ie do you purposely just really suck, and then when people look at you funny you say, "Oops! The stick are in the wrong hands!" and then start playing again like you usually do?

I'm going to keep that in the bag for our next rehearsal. 6 new tracks to work through, gives me an excuse if I screw it up.