DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 10-19-2012, 06:33 AM

Default Your drumming "thing"?

I was at a concert the other week and it struck me how even though we, as drummers, sometimes play relatively repetitive parts compared to the rest of the band (although the bass player's got it worse, haha), each drummer seems to find a way to put his unique spin on his playing. For example, I find that I often put in a hi-hat hit right before most of my crash hits (chk-CRASH!). Some players are very deliberate and exact and some are more extravagant and whatnot, even when playing the same song. So my question to everyone is, what do you do in your playing to add your own personal "flair"? What makes your playing your playing? I'm curious to see the responses.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:37 AM

Default Re: Your drumming "thing"?

I literally can not play four bars of four the same. Ever. E V E R. Always just some little thing different. I know I'm doing it but I seriously can not help it. Maybe if I have to get super serious about four on the floor I can but gee golly... Oh and because I played so long in crusty youth worship band with no bassist I syncopate most of my rythms to guitar not bass. Not that you're supposed to, but I NEVER listen for bass, EVER... It works, don't ask me how, it does... but I know there's inherrant weaknesses there too. Meh! Oh and lots of five stroke rolls on the hats to snare on off, I can guarantee I'm going to use that somewhere some time during a set.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:01 AM
Senior Administrator

good thread idea.
my quirks:
- i often play a snare drag into a crash
- i use left hand padudas a lot

j

ps: a famous drummer example: roger taylor opened his hihat when he hit his snare A LOT.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:42 AM
Platinum Member

Whenever I sit down to play without thinking about it, it's always funk. Anything else I have to think about, because funky stuff is the only thing I think works playing by myself.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:41 AM
Platinum Member

Cant say that I have a real style yet but I absolutely love (consciously and subconsciously) to add a kick on the & of 3 in a simple money beat- those two kicks next to each other find there way into everything I play. Sometimes its on 1e too but somewhere.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:17 PM
Platinum Member

Hi-hat barks to punctuate the groove. A crash on the 4 or on the "&" of 4 before a crash on 1. I play my quads backwards - BBLR.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:07 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Whenever possible, I like to try and incorporate my tambourine or cowbell into a groove so it sounds like there is someone else playing a quarter note ostinato on top of my drumming.

Robert Johnson sounded like 2 guys playing the guitar, he'd beat out a simple rhythm figure with his thumb, and play a lead on top of that with his fingers, there's some highly skilled brain separation going on there. Keith Richards, upon hearing Robert initially, commented, "who is the other guy playing with him?" That's what I strive to do, sound like 2 people whenever possible.

That opportunity doesn't happen every song, maybe about 6 times a night, but that's one of my "things". Sound like 2 people.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:26 PM
Silver Member

I tend to do little fills with my kick within the beat itself. Nothing fancy, just subtle stuff. Thank you, John Bonham.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:31 PM
The Old Hyde

If I am using my double pedal, I end live songs with a very fast bass drum triplet RLR followed by a combination left hand snare and right hand cymbal crash. If i am useing a single pedal, the bass is a 2 stroke ruff instead. Not sure if that makes sense the way I am describing it. The bass is almost like ghost notes I guess.Its always been something I do.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:49 PM
Anthony Amodeo

my thing is not using sticks, brushes, or rods and just willing sound out of the drums with mind bullets
Old 10-19-2012, 05:04 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gvdadrummasum View Post
my thing is not using sticks, brushes, or rods and just willing sound out of the drums with mind bullets
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr_X10iYeP8
Old 10-19-2012, 05:18 PM

I use thiss pattern for fills a lot. RLBB RLRL. I am trying to break myself of using one thing too much, though. I work on different patterns and ideas to replace things I think I play the same too often.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:58 PM
Gold Member

my thing is playing poorly, not keeping time and generally pissing off the rest of the band.

F
Old 10-19-2012, 08:41 PM
Silver Member

In a medium tempo groove, I love doing a little 32nd note LLKK so that the last kick lands on the 1. Great "trick" to make a groove sound more intricate without overpowering.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:09 PM
Pioneer Member

I hope I can describe this "thing" well.

It stems from my lack of left foot versatility. I can pull off steady hat chicks in quarters or eighths most of the time, but I can't do anything really fancy, certainly not 4 way independence on demand. So to be able to add a little flavor and color to the groove, I do this.

Mid-tempo song, perhaps the harmonica player or guitar player are coming out of a solo. I've been on the ride with some straight eighths or maybe swinging a little. If I'm going to change it up, but not go to my hats for the next 8, 12 or 16 bars, then I stay on the ride, and in addition to holding that pattern between the ride, kick and snare, I add a little hat chick on the 2 with a left hand light double tap swoosh (part bark) back to the snare on the 4.

After this repeats for a while it sounds like a nice little (slightly busy) cushion that ups the intensity a bit but doesn't kill the groove.

I am going down to the practice room in the basement, play it and see. I think my description of this "thing" might suck.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:20 AM
Renegade

No thing.
Old 10-20-2012, 02:15 AM

In my drumming i use a lot of "drags" and ghost notes when i play. Also when i play like a 4/4 "normal" back beat i add little things on the hats. I can't fully explain it but you do like double strokes on the hats..? I dont know what to call it. Good Looks!
Old 10-20-2012, 02:41 AM

some where in the last 6 months or so, I picked up the habit of dropping a snare hit on 4 and hitting the & of 4 as a pick up to bring it in to a new measure. Not sure where I picked it up, but it sounds right every now and then.
Old 10-20-2012, 02:46 AM
Platinum Member

I do this thing where I play a ghosted 5 stroke roll on the hats and snare before an open hi hat hit (RR = quietly on hats, LL = quietly on snare, R = open hats). It's one of those things that no drummer can figure out what I'm doing, but it sounds awesome, so they ask me about it after the show.

Also, before a heavy bass drum hit, I'll do a ghosted ruff on the snare. (LL = quietly on snare, RF = accented on bass drum). I realized that I do this a LOT without thinking about it...

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 10-20-2012, 04:48 AM

Syncopated beats with lots of grace notes between the bass and snare with steady eighth notes on the hi-hats and barks. Also,big tribal grooves on the toms and flams.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:40 AM
Silver Member

Playing hi-hat up beats with my left foot in a half-time groove (BOOM *chik* BAP! *chik* ba-BOOM *chik BAP! *chik*). I also like to make little four-beat 32nd note bass drum fills in place of tom or snare stuff (but I stole that from Danny Carey, so maybe that one don't count!)
Old 10-20-2012, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecore View Post
Playing hi-hat up beats with my left foot in a half-time groove (BOOM *chik* BAP! *chik* ba-BOOM *chik BAP! *chik*).
I do this too quite a bit. I have a lot of little quirks (some I picked up, the others came from cool accidents.) I sometimes like to signal a new section by crashing on 2 instead of 1. That was something that must've come from Keith Moon. I keep the fills quite a bit more simple, but it seems to spice up the rhythm without loosing the groove.

-Kyle
Old 10-20-2012, 07:34 AM
Rebel

> This is Roger´s signature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUTHA JASON View Post
ps: a famous drummer example: roger taylor opened his hihat when he hit his snare A LOT.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:36 PM
Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by fickpack View Post
I was at a concert the other week and it struck me how even though we, as drummers, sometimes play relatively repetitive parts compared to the rest of the band (although the bass player's got it worse, haha), each drummer seems to find a way to put his unique spin on his playing. For example, I find that I often put in a hi-hat hit right before most of my crash hits (chk-CRASH!). Some players are very deliberate and exact and some are more extravagant and whatnot, even when playing the same song. So my question to everyone is, what do you do in your playing to add your own personal "flair"? What makes your playing your playing? I'm curious to see the responses.
Yes, I do this sometimes and sometimes use the bells on the other cymbals, I think the HI-hat has the most sounds it can make, if it is closed really tightly it sounds different if it is closed normally it sounds different if it is splashed with the pedal or hit openly or hit on the edge closed or hit on the edge half open or choked with one hand so its half open and hit on the edge, or hit on the bell, it is basically just a small crash cymbal (or two)

The ride can be used as a crash too but sometimes it does not blend in so well.
Old 10-20-2012, 06:34 PM
Platinum Member

"Think like Neil Peart, play like Charlie Watts. "

haha