DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:09 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Please Don't Do This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
For a select few, possibly. Or it could just be because people love being part of the creative process that is composing, arranging and collaborating on your own music. I much prefer an originals band for that very reason. I've played far more covers bands than I have originals, but given the choice I'd much prefer to be part of the creative process.....alas, it seldom pays as well or as regularly. Control issues or an inability to receive instructions has nothing to do with it.......doesn't even enter into the equation.
Yes, that sounds great, but very few people can do it well. Hey, people are free to do whatever they want, and God bless everybody, etc. I consistently ask this bass player to turn it down. Then when you try to suggest people to play it a certain way or ways they can improve the song, they just say "ya ya ya" then continue to do what they've always done. I think an original band is one of the most difficult things to pull off and do well enough to tour. In my experience most people are really difficult to work with. Either it's playing issues or family (wife/husband) issues or being flaky not coming to practice. Just Monday one dude calls a half hour before starting time to say that he is sick. Sorry, that's my rant for now. I'm off to practice now. Later.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:10 AM
plangentmusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by con struct View Post
You can't be serious here. There's just no way you're being serious.
About what? It's an analogy.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:19 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plangentmusic View Post
About what? It's an analogy.
Jesus Christ, man, you're some kind of specimen, you are.

Do you eat food?
Old 06-21-2012, 04:23 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr View Post
Yes, that sounds great, but very few people can do it well. Hey, people are free to do whatever they want, and God bless everybody, etc. I consistently ask this bass player to turn it down. Then when you try to suggest people to play it a certain way or ways they can improve the song, they just say "ya ya ya" then continue to do what they've always done. I think an original band is one of the most difficult things to pull off and do well enough to tour. In my experience most people are really difficult to work with. Either it's playing issues or family (wife/husband) issues or being flaky not coming to practice. Just Monday one dude calls a half hour before starting time to say that he is sick. Sorry, that's my rant for now. I'm off to practice now. Later.
Lol, total rant! I understand what you mean though, I've played in bands like that. My band is different though, we're all best friends, me and the guitarist stsrted playing at the same time when we were at school, we learnt together and have a musical telepathy thing going on.
If somone is playing a crap part they get told and we all try out different ways to do things. the guitarist has told.me how to play beats or a different feel.
He can't play anything on kit but, he knows what is good and I listen if he has something to say. Likewise, I've given him pickings for guitar riffs when he's been stuck.
I can't play even a bum note on guitar but, I know the flos of time, riffs and music and alot of his guitar psrts naturally have the same oickibg as my feet patterns, right foot=downstroke left=upstroke.
there's no ego and we all learn from eachother. we are brutally honest too, if someone is lacking or slacking we don't mince our words but, we're brothers and we understand.

I've said the harshest things in my life to these guys at times and vice versa.
I understand you can't be that way with everyone and there's some serious ego's in some bands but, maybe if you just hunt for the right people instead of settling for whatever.

It's always the bands that don't speak their mind or listen that break up. Usually when they're getting popular too...
Old 06-21-2012, 04:25 AM
Silver Member

And chill out guys! Lol, take it easy, you's don't agree, it's fine.

It's turning into a bloody courtroom!
Old 06-21-2012, 06:58 AM
plangentmusic

Quote:
Jesus Christ, man, you're some kind of specimen, you are.

Do you eat food?

Sorry bro, I really don't know what you're talking about.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:01 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Sorry bro, I really don't know what you're talking about.
No worrys.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:23 AM
plangentmusic

Quote:
No worrys.
Other than spelling issues, no. : )
Old 06-21-2012, 07:53 AM
Gold Member

I think it is such a personal thing musically to let cymbals ring or not. Understanding context and how the mood fits or not during a song or at the end is a developed skill. If a song is to be cut sharp depending on the track I like to use a closed HH note instead if that is "what I'm feeling". It's all subjective and one man's "sounds great" is another man's "OMG, that sucked".
Old 06-21-2012, 07:59 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Pet peeve time.

When a song ends with a tight ending, why do drummers let the cymbals continue to ring?!?!?!

That drives me absolutely nuts. I want to walk over to the set and choke the cymbals -- and then choke the drummer. It just strikes me as so unmusical. And the fact that many other band members don't realize it is equally frustrating.

Okay -- just wanted to get that off my chest. I'm better now.
What about when the drummer just stops playing before everybody else? I do that all the time. And I'll get up and walk out while they try to start the next tune ;)
Old 06-21-2012, 08:29 AM

This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Ok, if you're playing covers and you want to stay true to the original, cool - do what they do by all means. But doesn't creative license mean anything?
Who's to say what's right or wrong? Definately not you pal. Sorry mate, but I must strongly disagree here.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
95% of the time, I would have to agree.

Here's an example - neither a pop hit or a classical piece - where a cymbal clash at the end is allowed to ring out, and sounds perfect.

BTW, it's the ending of America (from West Side Story) by Lincoln Mayorga on Vol 3 of the original direct to disc recordings of the early '70s, with Jim Keltner on drums.

Bermuda
The Sheffield Vol 3 America is awesome!! It has been of my favorite tracks for a very long time. As Bermuda said, the original recording was "direct to disc" (no tape or digital recording devices are used - just a direct path from the live mixing board - no overdubs) into the lacquer disc cutter. That process allows for amazing frequency and dynamic range.

Barry
Old 06-21-2012, 09:50 AM
Platinum Member

Funny. I usually get annoyed when a drummer ends every freakin song by choking their cymbals. In my view, it's really cliche, and I try not to automatically do it. If the song is up tempo, and has a "choppy" feel, then I'll definitely end by killing the cymbals, but I think letting your last cymbal strike decay naturally is more musical in most situations. I also think sometimes people forget that there's more than one way to hit a crash, and that you can get a shorter sound with less volume just by not bashing it... Or, just don't end on a cymbal if you don't want that sound.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:00 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
If I'm conducting a Mozart piece and the third violinist decides it would be creative to start playing "Sweet Caroline" I think there's going to be a problem.
Says the guy who added drums to Beethoven in his sig.

Last edited by Xero Talent; 06-21-2012 at 03:51 PM.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:03 PM
plangentmusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spesman View Post
This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Ok, if you're playing covers and you want to stay true to the original, cool - do what they do by all means. But doesn't creative license mean anything?
Who's to say what's right or wrong? Definately not you pal. Sorry mate, but I must strongly disagree here.
It's not a right or wrong thing -- just musical taste. It comes from all instruments. I'm sure there are things that other musicians do that you don't think is tasteful.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:05 PM
plangentmusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
Funny. I usually get annoyed when a drummer ends every freakin song by choking their cymbals. In my view, it's really cliche, and I try not to automatically do it. If the song is up tempo, and has a "choppy" feel, then I'll definitely end by killing the cymbals, but I think letting your last cymbal strike decay naturally is more musical in most situations. I also think sometimes people forget that there's more than one way to hit a crash, and that you can get a shorter sound with less volume just by not bashing it... Or, just don't end on a cymbal if you don't want that sound.

The point was never an "always or never / one way or the other" debate. It's an issue of musical judgement -- which ironically, a lot of guys aren't getting.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:10 PM
plangentmusic

[quote=Xero Talent;1014935]Says the guy who added drums to Beethoven in his sig.

What's your point? I orchestrated a symphony and played guitar bass and drums along with it. What's the problem? Yes, it's an artistic choice. What you fail to understand is that it isn;t going against the grain that I consider wrong -- it's making musical choices that distract instead of enhance. Feel free to present your orchestrations.

Some guys seem to understand this perfectly, whereas others are having a hard time grasping it.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:26 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
What's your point? I orchestrated a symphony and played guitar bass and drums along with it. What's the problem? Yes, it's an artistic choice. What you fail to understand is that it isn;t going against the grain that I consider wrong -- it's making musical choices that distract instead of enhance. Feel free to present your orchestrations.

Some guys seem to understand this perfectly, whereas others are having a hard time grasping it.
I grasp your point perfectly, I simply disagree. Making blanket statements that not choking a cymbal at the at a song's tight ending is ALWAYS "bad judgement" is narrow-minded.

Because I disagree with you doesn't mean I don't understand what you're saying. I get it perfectly. I just don't think that people should be forced into thinking they're doing something wrong or using bad judgement simply because you don't like it.

My argument is simply that it is not ALWAYS the case. Perhaps the majority, but as was previously mentioned, there's a reason it's cliché.

As for my own orchestrations, I've posted a bunch of my interpretations here, feel free to check them out. Interestingly, I'm recording a Pachelbel tune this week, and I'll be sure to share it. :)
Old 06-21-2012, 04:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
The point was never an "always or never / one way or the other" debate. It's an issue of musical judgement -- which ironically, a lot of guys aren't getting.
Turn it up!

Where is this musical judgement issue outlined in the following?

Quote:
Pet peeve time.

When a song ends with a tight ending, why do drummers let the cymbals continue to ring?!?!?!

That drives me absolutely nuts. I want to walk over to the set and choke the cymbals -- and then choke the drummer. It just strikes me as so unmusical. And the fact that many other band members don't realize it is equally frustrating.

Okay -- just wanted to get that off my chest. I'm better now.
If we're not getting it, it's pretty much because this one dimensional and dogmatic approach doesn't allow for it, the way I see it.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:44 PM
plangentmusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xero Talent View Post
I grasp your point perfectly, I simply disagree. Making blanket statements that not choking a cymbal at the at a song's tight ending is ALWAYS "bad judgement" is narrow-minded.

But I never said that. Show where I used the word "ALWAYS" in my first post. I think the narrowness of mind is coming more from your direction my friend.

Because I disagree with you doesn't mean I don't understand what you're saying. I get it perfectly. I just don't think that people should be forced into thinking they're doing something wrong or using bad judgement simply because you don't like it.

Never said that either. I hear drummer complaining about a multitude of things they don't like that other musicians do. Guitarists who are too loud. Keyboard players who play too many notes. Bass players who don;t lock in with the drums. Why are those valid and this isn't?

My argument is simply that it is not ALWAYS the case. Perhaps the majority, but as was previously mentioned, there's a reason it's cliché.

Sometimes things are cliche's for a reason. And you're essentially saying the same thing I am -- just making it into an argument, that's all.

As for my own orchestrations, I've posted a bunch of my interpretations here, feel free to check them out. Interestingly, I'm recording a Pachelbel tune this week, and I'll be sure to share it. :)

So again I ask, what's my Beethoven piece have to do with this? Why were you bringing it up. I guess I just missed your point.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:53 PM
Xero Talent
This message has been deleted by Xero Talent.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:56 PM
Xero Talent
This message has been deleted by Xero Talent.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:03 PM
Silver Member

So rather than constantly resorting to people not getting the point, what IS your point exactly?

Based on your comments, I am under the impression that your point is if a song has a tight ending, cymbals should always be choked. You said that the cymbals should ring as long as the other instruments. If they ring longer, this drives you nuts, causes chaos, and ruins the song as you illustrated:

Quote:
That's another way of saying that everybody can do whatever they want. Nice idea. But it the real world it just causes chaos. If I'm conducting a Mozart piece and the third violinist decides it would be creative to start playing "Sweet Caroline" I think there's going to be a problem.
Quote:
Hey, there's no steadfast rules you can't play an F natural chord with an F# in the bass -- but 999 times out of a 1000 it's going to sound like crap. Just sayin.'
This implies that in your opinion, it is a steadfast rule to choke cymbals along with the sustain of the other instruments....No, you didn't use the word "always", but you did use the analogy of 999 times out of a 1000, by your own words. By my view, that is essentially "always", unless you really want to be "that guy" and start splitting hairs at 0.001%. We're men here, so let's just call it like it is instead of resorting to childish technicalities, shall we?

Is this your point or not?

And if not, please state it clearly without resorting to people simply "not getting it". If I'm not getting it, then please explain in once sentence as to what your point is here, otherwise, simply responding to "you're just not getting it" is completely stupid and does nothing to help us understand what the hell you're trying to say.

Last edited by Xero Talent; 06-21-2012 at 05:34 PM.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:20 PM
Platinum Member

I've been around message boards since '95 or '96. When people talk in circles like the original poster and they're called out on it, they resort to pointing out grammatical or spelling errors, saying people don't get it, saying things like "oh yeah, let's hear your clip", etc...

This is pretty much textbook stuff and the original poster is following it perfectly.

In other words, too much energy is being wasted in this "classic textbook internet message board" style of thread. :)

That's my opinion, anyway...
Old 06-21-2012, 05:38 PM
Silver Member

I smell troll on the breeze!
Old 06-21-2012, 05:43 PM
Senior Administrator

i find the opposite applies in drum lessons. the pupil makes a mistake and is going to try again at some passage but first they go around the kit choking off any cymbal ring. i'm like, you are about to bash them anyway!
j
Old 06-21-2012, 05:51 PM
Silver Member

Wow the mood has gotten kinda nasty here!

It's ok not to see eye to eye. You can't prove someones taste wrong, it's theirs and theirs alone.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:15 PM
plangentmusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xero Talent View Post
So rather than constantly resorting to people not getting the point, what IS your point exactly?

Based on your comments, I am under the impression that your point is if a song has a tight ending, cymbals should always be choked. You said that the cymbals should ring as long as the other instruments. If they ring longer, this drives you nuts, causes chaos, and ruins the song as you illustrated:

This implies that in your opinion, it is a steadfast rule to choke cymbals along with the sustain of the other instruments....No, you didn't use the word "always", but you did use the analogy of 999 times out of a 1000, by your own words. By my view, that is essentially "always", unless you really want to be "that guy" and start splitting hairs at 0.001%. We're men here, so let's just call it like it is instead of resorting to childish technicalities, shall we?

Is this your point or not?

And if not, please state it clearly without resorting to people simply "not getting it". If I'm not getting it, then please explain in once sentence as to what your point is here, otherwise, simply responding to "you're just not getting it" is completely stupid and does nothing to help us understand what the hell you're trying to say.
Never mind. It's not important. : )
Old 06-21-2012, 06:23 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Never mind. It's not important. : )
Thought so .
Old 06-21-2012, 06:56 PM
Silver Member

Look, if I can just get everybody to agree how to end the freakin' song I'm a pretty happy guy. Man I hate when the band does a hit-ring ending, and just as the ring of the band fades away nicely, the guitarist goes WANK! Aaarghh!
Old 06-21-2012, 07:04 PM
plangentmusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtThump View Post
I've been around message boards since '95 or '96. When people talk in circles like the original poster and they're called out on it, they resort to pointing out grammatical or spelling errors, saying people don't get it, saying things like "oh yeah, let's hear your clip", etc...

This is pretty much textbook stuff and the original poster is following it perfectly.

In other words, too much energy is being wasted in this "classic textbook internet message board" style of thread. :)

That's my opinion, anyway...
You're right -- I'm falling into the trap and trying to explain something that someone either doesn't understand , can not understand or refuses to understand. Their tactic is then to keep asking the same question over and over in any effort to dismiss the point they don't comprehend. I was trying to be polite but there comes a stage where it's just silly to engage. It won't go anywhere.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:05 PM
plangentmusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreggy View Post
Look, if I can just get everybody to agree how to end the freakin' song I'm a pretty happy guy. Man I hate when the band does a hit-ring ending, and just as the ring of the band fades away nicely, the guitarist goes WANK! Aaarghh!
EXACTLY. Thank you. Maybe now some people will understand it because it's the OTHER guy doing the irritating thing instead of being accused of doing something irritating themselves. lol. So is the way of humans.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:27 PM
Senior Administrator

actually i hate when the rest of the band doesnt end on a resolved note.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:11 PM
con struct
This message has been deleted by con struct.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:22 AM
audiotech

I don't get it, lol. Life's too short to worry about it, so I won't.

BTW, to stay within the context of this social appealing thread, I choke my cymbals when the music warrants it, and that's not very often. It just leaves more finger prints to try to remove, lol.

Dennis
Old 06-22-2012, 12:23 AM
Anthony Amodeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiotech View Post
I don't get it, lol. Life's too short to worry about it, so I won't.

BTW, to stay within the context of this social appealing thread, I choke my cymbals when the music warrants it, and that's not very often. It just leaves more finger prints to try to remove, lol.

Dennis
you remove finger prints from your cymbals?
Old 06-22-2012, 12:27 AM
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gvdadrummasum View Post
you remove finger prints from your cymbals?
Cymbals get fingerprints on them?

:)

Nelson, you're a genius - how do you get three pages about a little bit of cymbal sustain at the end of songs?? (when hopefully the audience is making happy sounds). Classic lol
Old 06-22-2012, 01:09 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Their tactic is then to keep asking the same question over and over in any effort to dismiss the point they don't comprehend.
Plenty of other tactics being employed to back peddle from a feeble argument too. No wonder it's hard to comprehend when you won't stand your ground and stick to your original point. But I guess it's easier to talk in riddles.....or pick up your bat and ball and go home.

Quote:
Maybe now some people will understand it because it's the OTHER guy doing the irritating........
At least we agree on something.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:36 AM
plangentmusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
Plenty of other tactics being employed to back peddle from a feeble argument too. No wonder it's hard to comprehend when you won't stand your ground and stick to your original point. But I guess it's easier to talk in riddles.....or pick up your bat and ball and go home.

SImply not true. My point never changed. And plenty of examples were given -- plenty of people understood. Ignoring the answers does not make it not so.

Hey, there are people who think Elvis is alive, the Twin Towers were felled by a missile station in outer space and the big bands are coming back. That's fine. But it's not my job to change their minds for them.

Old 06-22-2012, 01:52 AM
Renegade

Do I detect some cymbal ring at the end of the first song (the video starts with the end of a song)? Ben Riley on drums.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qO5NeqdPi6M
Old 06-22-2012, 02:01 AM
con struct
This message has been deleted by con struct.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:21 AM
Platinum Member

Interesting to think about, really. The point of the thread is to admonish drummers to never let a cymbal ring when the band plays a tutti cesura ending. In other words, play the ending "as written," or as previously agreed upon. Does anyone really need to be reminded of this?

(I'm only guessing at the "tutti cesura." I've been wracking my brain to come up with the right term, to no success. Still, tutti cesura actually works, and it's also rather cute.)
Old 06-22-2012, 02:26 AM
Anthony Amodeo

Quote:
Interesting to think about, really. The point of the thread is to admonish drummers to never let a cymbal ring when the band plays a tutti cesura ending. In other words, play the ending "as written," or as previously agreed upon. Does anyone really need to be reminded of this?

(I'm only guessing at the "tutti cesura." I've been wracking my brain to come up with the right term, to no success. Still, tutti cesura actually works, and it's also rather cute.)
every time look at your avatar picture I cant help but think of Mickey Rourke

before plastic surgery of course
Old 06-22-2012, 02:29 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gvdadrummasum View Post
every time look at your avatar picture I cant help but think of Mickey Rourke

before plastic surgery of course
Ha. That picture must be almost three years old. But I look exactly the same as I did when that picture was taken, really, I wouldn't lie to you!