DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:27 PM
Gold Member

Default Disaster after a fill…

…I came back in and changed the tempo of the song. Let me explain:

The Sunday morning praise band I play in is a collection of friendly musicians who all have an above average skill set for typical p and w bands. The leader is a recent seminary graduate who is a pretty cool and unassuming gal who loves all forms of live music. The piano player is top notch. The bassist is a tall lanky kid in his late twenties who gigs out with other bands probably more often than he is home. Our lead guitar player is a graduate of the LA bar band scene where he gigged around for years and has the experience and gentle mannerism of years in the trenches to prove it. In other words – all these folks are very laid back. Then there is me on drums.

Our rehearsal yesterday morning went fine. Worship service begins and I get through the first song great. We begin to play our second song and right the middle I do an easy (or so I believed) fill. Some simple snare/tom/crash cymbal stuff. I’ve played this song at least 5 times before and never had problems. Get this, I come out of this fill and somehow change the tempo of the song or alter my beat to where it is - in no uncertain terms – totally and completely OFF from what the rest of the band is doing. The song was in 4/4 and a rock beat. I played maybe a measure of this before I realized I was totally off then I stopped playing maybe a measure to refocus and get the beat back. I start with quarter notes on the hats and gently come back in. The lead guitar player is on a riser in front of me and turns around facing me so I can see his strumming. He’s trying to get me back on beat. We coordinate enough to where both he and I realize I’m back, so he turns back around to face the congregation like nothing happened. Boy, was I GLAD he was paying attention! The other songs we played went fine and I even got several compliments later on. (That was a surprise!)

After we played, the lead and I were walking in the hall where we were joined by the bass player. I immediately thanked the lead and apologized to both for getting off the beat on the second song. Like experienced players these guys are, they shrugged it off and smiled telling me not to worry because “it happens to everyone at one point”. I was so relieved I wanted to buy these guys dinner! Later on I caught up with our band leader and apologized. She shrugged it off and laughed and said she never noticed.

I think I recovered but man I was sorta down the rest of the day yesterday, even though probably a lot of folks never even realized I was off.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:31 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Disaster after a fill…

Yeah the fun thing about music... Only musicians really realize mistakes..
I too like when guitar players actually pay attention to what's happening..
Old 01-23-2012, 05:35 PM
Silver Member

If it will make you feel any better this kind of thing has happened too many times to count for me. Over the years they happen less and less but they still occur. And beating yourself up about doesn't help. Now if you were skimping on preparation and that's what led to it, then maybe you deserve a mental tongue lashing. But that doesn't sound like the case.

So, just understand that you are human and mistakes will occur. As the drummer and time keeper, your mistakes can be very obvious at times (others you will be the only one to notice).

It is all part of the journey. And it sounds like you have fellow musicians that understand and don't want you down on yourself. So enjoy!
Old 01-23-2012, 08:18 PM
Platinum Member

I've have had, and still have, disasters before, during and after fills and at any other point within the context of the music in which I'm expected to play.

We are all human and as a result have not-so-great musical moments at times.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:01 PM

I'm so relieved to hear that the other musicians were cool about it. My band and I are always messing up, we just look at each other and smile. I think the secret is to just carry on until it all falls back into place, that way the audience will never know... I hope
Old 01-23-2012, 11:08 PM

Looks at it this way Rogue, after the time you've had of it last year, it's just a small bump in the road! (I don't mean to trivialise your experiences)

I've had it happen to me, even with songs that I've been playing for years. It's not the mistake but how you deal with it and it sounds like you didn't let it phase you, so job done :)

Hope you're well,

Kev
Old 01-24-2012, 12:37 AM

It happens to everyone so no need to feel embarrassed about it. It is great that you get to play with such good musicians who actually know what they are doing and are aware of the other players in the band. Just think how much worse it would have been if you messed up and it threw the other guys off enough that you all couldn't get back on track.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:26 AM
Silver Member

Just to put things in context, at least you didn't do this!

http://youtu.be/XkFaIpDg194
Old 01-24-2012, 02:07 AM
Platinum Member

A guitar player I used to play with would always screw up a certain portion of a song and seemed oblivious to it. We generally managed to catch back up with him but one time, at a gig, I couldn't take it anymore. He was just wailing away, lost in his zone, nowhere near where he should have been. I stopped playing, stood up, knocked over a cymbal stand and started screamed at the top of my lungs "AAGGGGGGGGGHHH!!! YOU FUCK THIS PART UP EVERY SINGLE TIME".

The rest of the band stopped and stared at me. I sat down and started pounding out a beat to the main part of the song, the band shrugged their shoulders and started playing again.

It was like, "It's all part of the show folks" :)
Old 01-24-2012, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haredrums View Post

Amazing. I love you tube. That video has over a million hits.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:39 AM
Gold Member

A lesser drummer would have expected the band to follow him/her - at least you didn't do that.

How long have you been playing and how's that inner clock coming along?

Davo
Old 01-24-2012, 10:03 AM

Like the other have said, it happens to everyone at sometime or other. If it helps, I remember a gig last year where we played about 3 1/2 hours and I was exhausted. After the umpteenth encore, we decided to give 'em one more song. Problem arose when my band started playing it, while I began playing an entirely different song. Not even the same time signature or genre. I figured it out after an eon and we all had a good laugh.

The guidance you received from the guitar player and the feedback later from the other musicians is a good illustration of the word "band" in every sense of the word.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:29 AM
Platinum Member

It's called a brain snap!
Old 01-24-2012, 12:41 PM
Platinum Member

Good on your band mates for being so supportive. Happens to all of us from time to time, even us old farts http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwXJMVmMfLc
This from a recent gig. Band fooling around (we try to put each other off every time in this song section, hence the cuckoo sound from the guitarist). I throw in an unexpected fill, guitarist comes in early, I screw up the fill exit. Band laughter ensues.

If you can smile after a cockup, all's good :)
Old 01-24-2012, 01:30 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haredrums View Post

This is all types of win XD
Old 01-24-2012, 06:11 PM

Some days you are the pigeon. Other days you are the statue. Adds a bit of excitement anyway.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:12 AM
Silver Member

Back in my death metal days, my guitarist always joked that if we ever got off time, like a critical, fatal band crash, we should just immediately start playing anything as loud and as fast as we can. But I guess that only works for death metal, eh?
Old 01-25-2012, 08:53 PM

Occasionally before my body is completely programmed to a song but I still have to play it live I'll screw up a transition....

I've cut into the bridge after the 1st chorus thinking it was the second and other stuff like that.
Just roll with it and act as if its all according to plan. The crowd will usually buy it
Old 01-25-2012, 09:16 PM
Platinum Member

http://wearecorsairs.com/toddy/beyonce.mp3

here's what a disaster after a fill sounds like
pick any of them, most of them have disaster written all over it
Old 01-25-2012, 09:33 PM
Gold Member

That video of the kid on the kit barfing is hilarious!!

Thanks for the encouragement and kind words everybody! I've def learned from it. Ha!
Old 01-25-2012, 09:54 PM
TFITTING942

HAHAHAHA that kid barfing is funny! But, either they are all dwarfs or that is the worlds largest bass drum when the camera pulls back!!