DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 12-09-2011, 05:21 PM

Default drum sizes

hey guys im looking into getting a new kit. what do you reckon about these size and would they be okay for various genres of music like pop punky - hardcore heavy shizz.

and do they work well together

22x20 16x16 14x14 13x9
Old 12-09-2011, 05:58 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: drum sizes

I wouldn't match a 13" x 9" rack tom with a 14" x 14" floor. Either way, swap the 13" with a 12" or the add 2 inches to both floors. Just my opinion. Vegas Island got a DW with those tom sizes (diameter, that is...) though.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:01 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer_Ben View Post
hey guys im looking into getting a new kit. what do you reckon about these size and would they be okay for various genres of music like pop punky - hardcore heavy shizz.

and do they work well together

22x20 16x16 14x14 13x9
I think it is a great idea, but then I like 13" drums. I am noticing on my new Saturn kits, that there seems to be a big sound space between my 12 x 10 and my 14 x14. My 14 x 14 has a very big, deep sound to it. Guess it depends on the shells.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:42 PM
Platinum Member

Normally, I would be hesitant to match two larger sized drums only an inch apart, but in this case, one is a shallow rack tom and the other is a square floor. Because of that, I think both could probably be tuned to their sweet spots and still have just enough separation to be distinct from each other.

I probably wouldn't do it, though. I agree with:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameo View Post
I wouldn't match a 13" x 9" rack tom with a 14" x 14" floor. Either way, swap the 13" with a 12" or add 2 inches to both floors...
I'd be more likely to ask myself which is more important, the 13" or the 14". If the 13", then I'd do 16" and 18" floors; if the 12", then 14" and 16" floors.

I struck a compromise on my kit by using a 13x9, 15x14, 18x16 (1 up, 2 dn).

My Band
Old 12-09-2011, 11:29 PM

thanks for you help guys do you think

13x9
16x14
18x16
22x20

would be a better set up?
Old 12-09-2011, 11:52 PM
Platinum Member

depends on what you play but 20inch is a deep bass drum. it will be a real cannon, but you may lose some punch and definition that you may seek in some applications
if you like adeep thunderous drum sound all around then two large floor toms like you describe are fine, but why not then match them with a 14 hi tom?

on the other hand, maybe 12 up and 14 - 16 down, with 18 x 22 bass would work too and be more versatile for a wider range of music
Old 12-10-2011, 12:01 AM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by opentune View Post
depends on what you play but 20inch is a deep bass drum. it will be a real cannon, but you may lose some punch and definition that you may seek in some applications
if you like adeep thunderous drum sound all around then two large floor toms like you describe are fine, but why not then match them with a 14 hi tom?

on the other hand, maybe 12 up and 14 - 16 down, with 18 x 22 bass would work too and be more versatile for a wider range of music
I tend to agree with opentune. Unless you want to be another Bonham clone, I think the 18 is just too big of a drum for most practical purposes. I also think going from 13 rack to 16 floor is way too big of a stretch in sound for me. 12, 14, 16 will do just about anything, and the nice thing about the 14 floor tom is that it allows your 16 to be farther forward.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:04 AM
Administrator - Mayor

Quote:
thanks for you help guys do you think

13x9
16x14
18x16
22x20

would be a better set up?
I would do 22 x 16 at the most on the bass drum.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:09 AM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
I would do 22 x 16 at the most on the bass drum.
Hard to find 16" kicks in shell packs today.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:12 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
heavy shizz.
Is that legal?------------------------
Old 12-10-2011, 04:30 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks4drums View Post
Unless you want to be another Bonham clone, I think the 18 is just too big of a drum for most practical purposes.
What?? Do you think Bonham was the only guy to ever use an 18"? Do I need to remind you that your hero used an 18" as his first floor for many many years? Please don't go lumping anyone using an 18 as being some kind of Bonham clone. That's the kind of comment that raises hackles.

My Band
Old 12-10-2011, 04:47 AM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
What?? Do you think Bonham was the only guy to ever use an 18"? Do I need to remind you that your hero used an 18" as his first floor for many many years? Please don't go lumping anyone using an 18 as being some kind of Bonham clone. That's the kind of comment that raises hackles.
I'm talking about 13, 16, 18, Mike. It is OK. I should of been more specific. Don't get all bent out of shape. He is not my Hero. Just a great drummer. He probably has smaller badges as well.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:03 AM
Platinum Member

I haven't had a 14" tom for 25 years. Never had a need for one. No particular reason why, just never really considered it. I've always thought big drums are the way to go. I'd really like to get an old Slingerland 12/13/18/24 set again.

I need to find a 14" floor tom for this old Pearl set I'm building next. Problem is, I can't find a 14" floor tom from the old World Series. I don't even think they made a 14" floor tom back then. They had a 14" mounted tom, but that's $200 on e-bay and defeats the whole purpose. Plus I would need to put legs on it. I may have to modify an Export series floor tom. This kit will be 12/14/20. The kit I'm currently working on is also an old Pearl with 13/16/22 toms and bass drum. This will be my gig set. This one I'm just kinda throwing together and re-wrapping.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:24 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks4drums View Post
I'm talking about 13, 16, 18...
Okay, but as I've already mentioned in this thread, I use a 13/15/18 which is close enough to 13/16/18. Does that make me a Bonham clone? Just sayin'. Funny thing is, and I know you'll like this, is my kit has more in common with Neil Peart's kit than Bonham's! He used to use 12/13/15/18 in a 3 up 1 down, and now he's shifted the 15 down to the floor and added a 16, but to me, if I ignore the 16 (which is weird sitting next to 15 anyway) and everything from his 12 on up, we have the same kit!

Another very un-Bonham example would be Stewart Copeland. Yeah, he's got his 10 right in front of him, but what comes after that? 13/16/18.

Some people just like the vibe of larger size toms is all. I don't much care for 10/12/14/16 setups (I played one everyday for 4 years before trading it for a kit with larger sizes) because I like a tighter head tension and less pitch bend, but that's just my preference/defect. I wouldn't suggest that anyone using that config was trying to be a Gadd clone.

My Band
Old 12-10-2011, 01:10 PM
sticks4drums

Hey Mike. I just see so many people on here that want that one up 13", and the two down 16, 18. As I have said before I think the 15" is the perfect size for the first floor tom position. I use that on my monster kit, because I could pick the sizes. Honestly my 18" on my Saturn is only used for scaring animals, and small children away. It sounds huge. My 16 is more than enough for anything I would want to play. Your 13 to 15 is exactly what I do. It is a perfect separation. Two of my favourite drums. They probably get used 50 percent of the time. I still think that the three up, 10, 12, 13, and two down, 15, 16, is the perfect set up. INHO. It is just hard to find as a standard config. Usually a special order thing. Plus an 18" is la bitch to carry around. Kind of like an extra bass drum. If you don't need for the style of music you will play, then I say don't bother.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:18 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
music like pop punky - hardcore heavy shizz.
This is what I would use for a 1 up/2 down set up, based on years of playing pop punky - hardcore heavy shizz, as opposed to Rush/Led Zep which the other guys are talking about:

12 x whatever
14 x whatever
16 x whatever
22 x 18 or less

I like my rack to be higher rather than lower, hence the 12" instead of 13". I most often play a four piece and my standard tom sizes are 12" & 16". anything additional is based around that set up. Sometimes I use a 10 as well, and I own an 18" but hardly ever use it, because it's not far enough from the 16 to justify dragging it to the gig. 14" toms fit really well in hardcore as their higher pitch will stand out better. I had one with a previous kit and found it stood out more than a 16" would (however I also missed having the big sound that a 16" delivers, which is one of the reasons I bought a new kit!)

If your guitarists drop their tuning significantly then you'll be better with smaller toms, for separation from the rest of the band. 10/12/14/16/22 configurations are popular so you'll find one easily. Don't be shy of 20" kick drums either, Justin Foley from Killswitch Engage plays a 20", and it sounds great.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:49 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

I like to keep a 2" differences within the diameters of my toms and floor toms.

My current set up (1 up, 2 down) 10",12" and 14".

Sometimes I use 12", 14" and 16".

Both set up with a 22"x16" bass drum.