DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 09-09-2011, 12:54 PM
Platinum Member

Default The New Dream Theater Album

To those who are interested in the band - how do you guys like the new DT album that
came out today (at least here)?

I love it! It seems to me that somewhere after Train Of Thought they lost themselves,
and during Systematic Chaos they were searching where to go. With Black Clouds &
Silver Linings their new style shaped, and they had some pretty cool melodies, and
I think now with A Dramatic Turn Of Events they found their new voice!

To me they're making music again, and I love the melodies and harmonies. No I find
myself waiting for a chorus to come during an instrumental section several times actually,
whereas with earlier works often the opposite was the case - waiting for JLB to end his
part, LOL.

Speaking of JLB: I believe it can be heard quite well that he was "allowed" to co-compose
again finally - he's really sticking to his range, and the music benefits!

Mike Mangini: I like his playing, DT has a lot more groove to them now IMO. Plus
when MP showed his limitations quickly, MM easily is up to par with everything DT's
music wants to express, now that I hear him with the band, I actually think - with
due respect - that MP was holding the band and their expressional range back!

Any other opinions?
Old 09-09-2011, 01:04 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: The New Dream Theater Album

I haven't heard the album yet but if what you say is true, it will be well worth the money. After watching the DT drummer auditions, MM was the clear choice. MP may have made a mistake by letting DT go on without him. They may not want him back even after a long break.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzrock View Post
I haven't heard the album yet but if what you say is true, it will be well worth the money.
Agreed. Sounds like its well worth checking out :)
Old 09-09-2011, 01:24 PM
Silver Member

It sound like the past ten or so years of their career to me... good moments in overall really boring songs for about half the album, then the other half is actually pretty cool. On the Backs of Angels was never particularly great but it wasn't a bad song, then the following song made me think "I'm listening to Dream Theater featuring Slipknot remixed by Skrillex", then the first half of the following song gave me the same vibe minus Skrillex + overly ridiculous noodling even for Dream Theater.

The good news is, from there it gets better and sounds quite a bit like older Dream Theater... The bad news is that even in spite of this, there's not a song that stands out to me as that one masterpiece they've always managed to put out in spite of the fact they have plenty of albums with 50% or more filler material since post-Six Degrees.

So all in all, it was better than I expected, but not as good as I hoped they'd seize the opportunity to make...
Old 09-09-2011, 01:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzrock View Post
I haven't heard the album yet but if what you say is true, it will be well worth the money.
Well it's definitely a matter of taste and opinion I think ;).
Me, I'm digging it.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:44 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Matthias View Post
To those who are interested in the band - how do you guys like the new DT album that
came out today (at least here)?

I love it! It seems to me that somewhere after Train Of Thought they lost themselves,
and during Systematic Chaos they were searching where to go. With Black Clouds &
Silver Linings their new style shaped, and they had some pretty cool melodies, and
I think now with A Dramatic Turn Of Events they found their new voice!

To me they're making music again, and I love the melodies and harmonies. No I find
myself waiting for a chorus to come during an instrumental section several times actually,
whereas with earlier works often the opposite was the case - waiting for JLB to end his
part, LOL.

Speaking of JLB: I believe it can be heard quite well that he was "allowed" to co-compose
again finally - he's really sticking to his range, and the music benefits!

Mike Mangini: I like his playing, DT has a lot more groove to them now IMO. Plus
when MP showed his limitations quickly, MM easily is up to par with everything DT's
music wants to express, now that I hear him with the band, I actually think - with
due respect - that MP was holding the band and their expressional range back!

Any other opinions?
Well your review is making me a little upset by the way you are talking about MP, so I will have to take a deep breath, relax and give the new album an unbiased listen. Can someone lone me it. :)
Old 09-09-2011, 01:56 PM
Platinum Member

Listening to the record now. I'm not liking the drum-mix at all. The drums seem a bit wooly and low. As for the drum-parts. They are a lot better. Seems maybe that Mangini is a bit "scared" of being himself or something though, I don't know. The album and music itself is pretty kick ass.
Old 09-09-2011, 03:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks4drums View Post
Well your review is making me a little upset by the way you are talking about MP, so I will have to take a deep breath, relax and give the new album an unbiased listen. Can someone lone me it. :)
I can understand you. Sorry, MP earns a lot of respect from me! Some years ago when
I was really into DT Mike was my hero, and a big inspiration to me. He is very unique as a
person and also as a musician, and he's done a lot in the drumming community.

What I said in my review was meant purely musically, and in comparison to the new Mike
(while I know comparisons are always somewhat dangerous and unfair, but it's just my
personal thoughts that come to me automatically) but I think I'll stick to what I said. Sorry :)
Old 09-09-2011, 03:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaard View Post
The album and music itself is pretty kick ass.
Yes, isn't it!
Old 09-09-2011, 03:44 PM
sticks4drums

I was never a real Dream Theater fan as far as their songs go, but I actually have two of their live DVD's and I just watch with amazement at how good they all are. This is how I became a MP fan. Their songs lack a little structure for my tastes, but I guess that is what Prog is about, I think. :)
Old 09-09-2011, 05:46 PM
Platinum Member

The album is not out in the USA until Tuesday. I have it on pre-order.

Interesting enough, it shot to #1 in Japan the day it was released there.

I have heard most of the album though, and I think it is awesome.

I really hated the last two albums, to the point I stopped considering myself a DT fan. I even stopped listening to the older stuff, and had grown completely disinterested in what they were doing. The last time I saw them live, I walked away disappointed in what the band had become.

So I've been a bit skeptical about this new album.

But I was able to get on a listening session from a local journalist who had an advance copy, and we listened to it twice through.

I have to say, this might be one of their best albums ever. I got the same feeling I got when I heard Image and Words almost 20 years ago. This is the album they should have made years ago.

No more 1/2 baked songs with 10 minutes of mindless jamming, there are actual ideas that are fully developed. And James sounds like he did back on I&W.

The story is this time, rather than sitting there and singing over the songs as soon as they were recorded, this time, James took all the songs homes, and worked on them at his own pace at a separate studio near his house. And the difference shows. No longer does he sound like he signing the first thing off the top of his head (ala the last two albums), but it really sounds like he a part of the music, not just singing over it.

I went from skeptical about buying this to rushing to the computer to put in my pre-order on Amazon. I can't wait for the full CD to come in the mail!!!
Old 09-09-2011, 08:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
The album is not out in the USA until Tuesday. I have it on pre-order.

Interesting enough, it shot to #1 in Japan the day it was released there.

I have heard most of the album though, and I think it is awesome.

I really hated the last two albums, to the point I stopped considering myself a DT fan. I even stopped listening to the older stuff, and had grown completely disinterested in what they were doing. The last time I saw them live, I walked away disappointed in what the band had become.

So I've been a bit skeptical about this new album.

But I was able to get on a listening session from a local journalist who had an advance copy, and we listened to it twice through.

I have to say, this might be one of their best albums ever. I got the same feeling I got when I heard Image and Words almost 20 years ago. This is the album they should have made years ago.

No more 1/2 baked songs with 10 minutes of mindless jamming, there are actual ideas that are fully developed. And James sounds like he did back on I&W.

The story is this time, rather than sitting there and singing over the songs as soon as they were recorded, this time, James took all the songs homes, and worked on them at his own pace at a separate studio near his house. And the difference shows. No longer does he sound like he signing the first thing off the top of his head (ala the last two albums), but it really sounds like he a part of the music, not just singing over it.

I went from skeptical about buying this to rushing to the computer to put in my pre-order on Amazon. I can't wait for the full CD to come in the mail!!!
I haven't been excited by Dream Theater in over ten years, and your comments about what this new album isn't really has me encouraged. I've deeply missed the melody and song structure that made Images and Words and Awake such great albums and I think your comments about previous albums sounding half-baked, with too much jamming nails my exact feelings, and why I've drifted so far away.

But based on the teaser track, and these reviews I'm really excited to hear the rest of the album and looking forward to getting back into Dream Theater.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:40 PM

They are plaing here in the bay area (San Jose, CA) right on the day my sister in law and best friend get married!! And I'm in the freaking wedding, so there is no way I can go

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! It's my worst nightmare! I was looking forward to seeing them!!!! God dang it!!!!!!!
Old 09-15-2011, 06:52 AM
Platinum Member

It is out in the US!

I am amazed at how much I LOVE the new album, given how much I hated the last two.

The single they released really doesn't do the whole album justice. This album is an amazing piece of work.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:23 AM

I am amazed at how much I LOVE the new album, given how much I hated the last two.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:32 AM
Platinum Member

SPAM ABOVE
Old 09-15-2011, 01:13 PM
Gold Member

The whole thing seems too mellow for me.

There aren't quite as many driving elements as Nightmare to Remember, and it's not as raw or aggressive. The mix was tinkered with as well, and I enjoyed DT's sound. It was something all its own, regardless of whether it was an engineer who helped make it or not. Mangini is definitely a good drummer, but it's just not Dream Theater without Portnoy.

Petrucci's riffs used to be as rough and cutting as a rusty razor. The snare sound was high, dry, and pretty loud, and the cymbals were trashier. And where's Rudess' saw? I love that saw. It seems that Jazz is starting to creep its way into the sound, and whether it's a good or a bad thing I'm not sure, but it sure does make a difference.