DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 09-20-2010, 07:32 PM

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpdrums View Post
Oh okay - no problem... Thanks anyway!!
Now I know what's going on with the two different looking Sticks! ;-)
Just glad to help! Even though I would like Gavin to verify this next time he's in to answer some questions! :-)
Old 09-21-2010, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anders_slåke View Post
Just glad to help! Even though I would like Gavin to verify this next time he's in to answer some questions! :-)
Oh yes, that will be great.... We'll see.... ;-)
Old 09-21-2010, 03:30 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalma View Post
couldn't you make a short video how you are going to tune a snare?
for example a 14*5?

That would be great :)
I'm pretty sure he covers snare drum tuning in his latest DVD.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:58 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiery View Post
I'm pretty sure he covers snare drum tuning in his latest DVD.
i'm sure he didn't. i own this dvd
Old 09-22-2010, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalma View Post
i'm sure he didn't. i own this dvd
Yes, he does in Rhythmic Designs. Don't remember which side of the disk but it's under extras.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anders_slåke View Post
Yes, he does in Rhythmic Designs. Don't remember which side of the disk but it's under extras.
Its on the B side of the disk > Discussions > Tuning
Old 09-22-2010, 02:05 PM

HI again Gavin,

1. You said in this thread that you don't use cowbells because PT music doesn't request it. Actually i never heard u playing cowbells in any of the records i heard from you. What about O5Ric and "Circle"? It looks like a cowbell was asking you for being played finally :D . Just curiosity by the way :)

2. You said u use headphones when u practice at home, and you hear your drums processed with little eq, compression and reverb. Do you use hardware gear (and what models eventually) in those occasions or u use plugins?

Thx a lot
Old 09-22-2010, 03:20 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Cuban

do you use any sound isolation screens in your home studio?
In some videos it looks like you have them in front of your kit, but not around it?

Yes I have three screens just around the front of the kit. It helps stop reflections from the huge glass doors that are a few feet in front of the drums. They are old AK sound barriers - a company that doesn't seem to exist anymore. You still sometimes see them in studios.

Looking forward to the Jakszyk, Fripp & Collins CD!

Me too.

Hi mpdrums

I was wondering what kind of Model you are using? I've seen in different Interviews where you sit behind your Drumkit that you're using a Stick with an autograph on it which a little bit looked like yours... (Maybe a Signature Model from you?) But on another interview or picture you were using just the normal "Rock" model if I've seen that right!? So, what kind of Drumsticks are you using?

they are all the same Vic Firth "Rock" model with the red 'Vic Grip'. Sometimes (as an endorser) when you ask for sticks - they send you some with your own signature on (just for fun). However - I am working on a design for a proper 'signature model' with the guys at Vic Firth.

Hi Kalma

couldn't you make a short video how you are going to tune a snare?
for example a 14*5?

I believe I did this on the B side of the Rhythmic Designs DVD. Also I do really like the advice that Bob Gatzen gives on tuning. You can find a lot of his stuff on YouTube and his DVDs.

Hi steste50

1. You said in this thread that you don't use cowbells because PT music doesn't request it. Actually i never heard u playing cowbells in any of the records i heard from you. What about O5Ric and "Circle"? It looks like a cowbell was asking you for being played finally :D . Just curiosity by the way :)

I'm still don't think cowbells are right for this music. Maybe one day they will.

2. You said u use headphones when u practice at home, and you hear your drums processed with little eq, compression and reverb. Do you use hardware gear (and what models eventually) in those occasions or u use plugins?

I'm hearing the EQ from the analog desk - and an old Yamaha reverb unit just for monitoring. It's hard to hear the effects from Logic because there's always a latency delay whilst you're actually playing - so therefore I never monitor the drums through the computer. Of course on playback I can use the plugins inside Logic.

cheers
Gavin
Old 09-22-2010, 08:28 PM

Gavin,

Quick question on Beyond the A. The very first bar of that song you do a roll on the snare, followed by a roll on the bass drum. Are there the same number of notes in the snare roll as there are in the bass drum roll?

Also, do you play your ghost notes as a closed roll or an open roll? Or does it change depending on the music?

Thanks

Eric
Old 09-23-2010, 12:12 PM

sorry if someone has already asked..

Hi Gavin,

if I am not so "square" as i would like (carré, in french, maybe tight, i don't know :/ sorry),
may I hope to become it, quickly? or never?
Do you recommend to study exclusively with "clic" for that?
or no way?

thanks Gavin,
'best,
hi

Last edited by henri; 09-23-2010 at 03:39 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:15 PM
Platinum Member

Henri, do you mean tight? If so, one good advice is to record and analyze your playing, with click, without click, with music. The main goal is to sharpen your ears.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
Hi mpdrums

I was wondering what kind of Model you are using? I've seen in different Interviews where you sit behind your Drumkit that you're using a Stick with an autograph on it which a little bit looked like yours... (Maybe a Signature Model from you?) But on another interview or picture you were using just the normal "Rock" model if I've seen that right!? So, what kind of Drumsticks are you using?

they are all the same Vic Firth "Rock" model with the red 'Vic Grip'. Sometimes (as an endorser) when you ask for sticks - they send you some with your own signature on (just for fun). However - I am working on a design for a proper 'signature model' with the guys at Vic Firth.
Thanks Gavin! :-)
I'm looking forward for these Sticks!! Hopefully they'll also be avaible in Stores to buy....
Old 09-24-2010, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Matthias View Post
Henri, do you mean tight? If so, one good advice is to record and analyze your playing, with click, without click, with music. The main goal is to sharpen your ears.
Matthias, yes, you're right.
but the diagnosis is one thing.
healing is another.
I talk to heal.
i know my problem.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:38 AM
Platinum Member

Yes but still! It must be either a hearing issue (while playing, not while listening back on a record), a concentration issue - which can go hand in hand - or a technique problem.

Do you realize you're not tight the moment it happens, or later?
Old 09-24-2010, 09:25 AM

some small tempo errors, of course. I hear them while playing.
but, when I listening back, I notice that sometimes (no, often) I'm not in depths of time.
is "in depths of time" correct term? au fond du temps.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:32 AM
Platinum Member

Well since I'm Swiss, I certainly won't correct your English :).

Yes that's what I mean: You notice tempo or timing flaws while listening back. So your goal must be to hear that while you're doing it already. If you hear it, you can play it better. That's what I mean by sharpening your listening abilities. It's much easier to hear stuff in a recording than while playing, because the brain is pretty absorbed.
So when you record yourself, listen back, and then try to play the same thing but without the mistakes you heard in the recording, you train your ears! All great drummers had or have to do that, I'm sure. Time and groove are hard things to really master.
Hope that helps.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:51 AM

ok
- Try to be more focused while playing. (Listening to me and my play)
- Stay super tuned-up of other members (especially with bassist)

Gavin, what do you thing about all of this?
Old 09-24-2010, 02:38 PM

Good luck at the big show at Radio City Music Hall tonight Gavin! Wish I could be there! It must be out of this world playing a venue like that. I think I have butterflies in my gut for you.

Kevin
Old 09-26-2010, 07:15 AM
Gold Member

You're hired! Nice podcast and solo Gavin XD!

Fox.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:34 AM

Hey Gavin,

Have you or Porcupine Tree ever thought about releasing a "Making Of" video or DVD. I've seen the short one from "Deadwing" and the really short one from "The Incident". Those things have always interested me because I really like to see how everything unfolds inside the studio.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:09 PM

Hi Gavin,
I just want to ask if you're planning to come to Hungary with PT next year? I know that you were here last year, but I just discovered the band recently (yeah, I know... my fault, but better late than never).

Máté
Old 09-29-2010, 12:05 AM

Hi gavin, do you ever play heel down? Do you ever need to? Do you ever feel like?
Old 09-29-2010, 11:40 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi euphoric_anomaly

Quick question on Beyond the A. The very first bar of that song you do a roll on the snare, followed by a roll on the bass drum. Are there the same number of notes in the snare roll as there are in the bass drum roll?

Yes there are four notes in both. Snare roll is played RRLL bass drum roll is RLRL

Hi henri

- Try to be more focused while playing. (Listening to me and my play)
- Stay super tuned-up of other members (especially with bassist)
Gavin, what do you thing about all of this?

Yes I agree - and record yourself all the time. It's a long slow process to improve.

Hi pixelbreaker

Have you or Porcupine Tree ever thought about releasing a "Making Of" video or DVD. I've seen the short one from "Deadwing" and the really short one from "The Incident". Those things have always interested me because I really like to see how everything unfolds inside the studio.

To have a camera crew there the whole time would be too intrusive and hold up the creative process I think - so I've never really wanted to do that.

Hi Mikusmate

I just want to ask if you're planning to come to Hungary with PT next year? I know that you were here last year, but I just discovered the band recently (yeah, I know... my fault, but better late than never).

I don't think we'll be doing anything next year...sorry.

Hi scottishhaggis

do you ever play heel down? Do you ever need to? Do you ever feel like?

no I never do.

Here's a recent interview
http://listenin.org/interviews/archi...e/default.aspx

Cheers
Gavin
Old 09-29-2010, 03:45 PM

Hi Gavin!

Do you have any tips on tuning 12" toms? It always seems to be the hardest drum to tune, I never get mine to sound real good. It's really frustrating!

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-29-2010, 05:53 PM

Hi Gavin,

I've seen some of your videos and performances. Very inspiring and creative. Also, I went to Porcupine Tree webpage. Excellent band...

I would like to ask you few questions:

1. Any coming up tours and/or clinics close to Connecticut, USA?

2. Any idea of a less expensive snare drum that would emulate the sound of Ludwig Black Beauty snare? - I thought that since you have your own studio and experience with various different snares, might have an idea.

3. I liked the sound of your drum set. Sounds to me very modern, talkative, full and with lots of body. I imagine that your tracking room is part of that sound. Could you share your tracking room dimensions and any special sound treatment in the room?

4. Could you share your likes and dislikes in a drum tracking room?

Thanks in Advance for your time,
-Mel Corcino
[SIGPIC]
Old 09-29-2010, 11:04 PM

Hey Gavin,
first of all thank you very much for your great insperational work, I discovered PT a few years ago and it blew my mind away. It's exactly that type of music that I was looking for and couldn't find... Only seen you play live once in Neu-Isenburg last year, that was one of my top 3 concerts ever...

Got a few questions:

I cut down an few cymbals to make chimes out of them, so far it only worked with a HiHat Bottom cymbal, couldnt get the others to sound the way I want them.
How do you know which cymbal could make up a good chime?
How do you cut them?
I used a metal scissor, very tiring job to do it, I can tell you... Have u found a better method or does somebody else do it for you?

China: do you ever stack your china cymbals?

A friend mentioned that you play Constantinople cymbals too, but I haven't seen any in your setups... true or just a rumor?

I find your drums very well tuned, do you do them yourself or does your drumtech do it for you? And do you have a special technique to tune them?

Sorry if any of those questions were asked before, I simply over-read them then...

Keep up the great work, really looking forward to see you in Karlsruhe...
Thank you very much &
kind regards
Old 09-29-2010, 11:06 PM

Hi Gavin,

While watching your Interview on Drumdepartment.de I realized that there is a dynamic mic next to your bassdrum that is mounted in the direction of the crowd. Is this another trick do get a better bassdrum sound?

cheers,
Tobias

http://www.myspace.com/tobiashula
Old 09-30-2010, 02:20 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan 1927 CCFC View Post
Hey Gavin,
first of all thank you very much for your great insperational work, I discovered PT a few years ago and it blew my mind away. It's exactly that type of music that I was looking for and couldn't find... Only seen you play live once in Neu-Isenburg last year, that was one of my top 3 concerts ever...

Got a few questions:

I cut down an few cymbals to make chimes out of them, so far it only worked with a HiHat Bottom cymbal, couldnt get the others to sound the way I want them.
How do you know which cymbal could make up a good chime?
How do you cut them?
I used a metal scissor, very tiring job to do it, I can tell you... Have u found a better method or does somebody else do it for you?

China: do you ever stack your china cymbals?

A friend mentioned that you play Constantinople cymbals too, but I haven't seen any in your setups... true or just a rumor?

I find your drums very well tuned, do you do them yourself or does your drumtech do it for you? And do you have a special technique to tune them?

Sorry if any of those questions were asked before, I simply over-read them then...

Keep up the great work, really looking forward to see you in Karlsruhe...
Thank you very much &
kind regards
Those questions were asked MANY times before.

www.askgavinharrison.com

That's a very easy way to find answers to them.

Fox.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTrocks View Post
Hi Gavin!

Do you have any tips on tuning 12" toms? It always seems to be the hardest drum to tune, I never get mine to sound real good. It's really frustrating!

Thanks in advance!
Hi DTrocks

Yeah! the same for me, always found the 12" tom the most difficult to tune, and on the other hand, found a 13" very easy to tune. Sure it doesn´t have logical at all, but is how i feel it... So i need to invest more on tuning. Another option is changing to odd toms :-))

Greetings
Old 09-30-2010, 01:45 PM

FAO Fox:
thanks very much for the link, hadnt seen that page before...

FAO Gavin:
ignore my post, hope to find the answers on Fox's link...
keep up ur great work...
Old 10-01-2010, 06:51 PM

Hi Gavin,

talking about tricks for the bass drums sound: i recently bought a nice video by the great Alan Parsons where he explains many different things about the "art and science of sound", interviewing many great well known guys of the music biz. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the drummer who was interviewed was... Simon Phillips. One of the things that caught my attention was what's in the attached pic: he put a paint can in the bass drum. Its mass is supposed to enhance the low end and the high end caught by the mic. I just wanted a feedback from you too, before going to the paint shop :))

Cheers and thx
Attached Images

Old 10-04-2010, 12:06 AM
Gold Member

Hey Gavin, what's up with the big and fast "Even Less" tom drum fill in the middle, it's 16th note triplets, right?

Thanks, Fox.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
I'm hearing the EQ from the analog desk - and an old Yamaha reverb unit just for monitoring. It's hard to hear the effects from Logic because there's always a latency delay whilst you're actually playing - so therefore I never monitor the drums through the computer. Of course on playback I can use the plugins inside Logic.

cheers
Gavin
I have Logic studio so I know exactly what you mean about latency. I actually use the input monitoring from MainStage if I'm messing with effects. You can still record into Logic with Mainstage open and simply mirror those effects with the Logic effects board after. I just find the creative process goes much faster when I can actually mess with effects live rather than input them after.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:59 PM

Good day. I have a question for you and would apprieciate if you'd answer it. You're a great source of inspiration!!

In Sound of Muzak, it sounds to me like you're phrasing the verse beat in 4+3, whilst the guitar is phrasing in 3+4 . Were you conscious of this when you came up with the groove? If yes, why did you choose to phrase differently from the guitar/vocals?

Last edited by talgtitten; 10-06-2010 at 04:12 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:59 PM

Gavin,

I was pouring over 'Sentimental' the other day and remembered that you had stated that Steven was doing an "8th note illusion" with the keyboards. With that in mind, would the 8th note illusion mean that you have to accent the AND in between beats? (ex: one AND two AND three ....). I try to count a steady 4/4 and it doesn't line up with anything.

It could be your groove for the verses that are throwing me off, it sounds to me like your starting a lot of the bars on the hi-hat, rather than a typical bass or snare shot.

Also, I find it difficult to "hear" the drum beat because of the filter effect on the drumtrack. Do you ever get annoyed with having to record your drums through a filter that (in my opinion) ruins the sound?

Thanks
Old 10-06-2010, 07:39 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi DTrocks

There's normally one drum that is the most awkward to tune. Mine is a 14" floor tom. So I gave up and got a 15" instead. I don't have a problem tuning the 12" and I don't really apply any different tuning techniques to it.

Hi mel corcino

1. Any coming up tours and/or clinics close to Connecticut, USA?

not at the moment.

2. Any idea of a less expensive snare drum that would emulate the sound of Ludwig Black Beauty snare? - I thought that since you have your own studio and experience with various different snares, might have an idea.

I believe there's a World Max drum that has similar characteristics. Don't know about the price though.

3. I liked the sound of your drum set. Sounds to me very modern, talkative, full and with lots of body. I imagine that your tracking room is part of that sound. Could you share your tracking room dimensions and any special sound treatment in the room?

I don't think there's much of my tracking room in that sound. It's a pretty dead sounding room and most of the sound is coming from the close mics.

Hi tobiashula

While watching your Interview on Drumdepartment.de I realized that there is a dynamic mic next to your bassdrum that is mounted in the direction of the crowd. Is this another trick do get a better bassdrum sound?

No that was just an experiment with an SM58 so I could hear some ambience - back in the days when I was using the "Ultimate Ears UE10's". I've since switched to Sensaphonics 3D ambient IEMs.

Hi steste50

One of the things that caught my attention was what's in the attached pic: he put a paint can in the bass drum. Its mass is supposed to enhance the low end and the high end caught by the mic. I just wanted a feedback from you too, before going to the paint shop

I've never tried it - I'll have to ask Simon about that next time I see him. Pretty easy experiment to try at home though.

Hi Fox622003

what's up with the big and fast "Even Less" tom drum fill in the middle, it's 16th note triplets, right?

No - it's just fast singles - no subdivisions intended.

Hi talgtitten

In Sound of Muzak, it sounds to me like you're phrasing the verse beat in 4+3, whilst the guitar is phrasing in 3+4 . Were you conscious of this when you came up with the groove? If yes, why did you choose to phrase differently from the guitar/vocals?

I think of it as two patterns of 7/8. Really the bass drum to snare drum patterns are 7/16s - and on top of that the hi hat is playing quarter notes so it feels like 7/4.

Hi euphoric_anomaly

I was pouring over 'Sentimental' the other day and remembered that you had stated that Steven was doing an "8th note illusion" with the keyboards. With that in mind, would the 8th note illusion mean that you have to accent the AND in between beats? (ex: one AND two AND three ....). I try to count a steady 4/4 and it doesn't line up with anything.

No it's a dotted 8th note illusion.

It could be your groove for the verses that are throwing me off, it sounds to me like your starting a lot of the bars on the hi-hat, rather than a typical bass or snare shot.
Also, I find it difficult to "hear" the drum beat because of the filter effect on the drumtrack. Do you ever get annoyed with having to record your drums through a filter that (in my opinion) ruins the sound?

I can't remember if the pattern has a bass drum at the start of it. Anyway it was meant to be a messed up (low fi) sounding loop - so we just picked a few bars that we liked and looped it. It wasn't recorded with a filter - that was added later.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 10-07-2010, 12:11 PM

Hi Gavin,

I see that you have coated heads on your toms, i play heavy rock style at home, but also tour with a jazz band, so i need a set of tom heads that meet both requirements. Do you reckon coated heads are the way to go?

cheers

matt
Old 10-07-2010, 01:39 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Absolutely - I much prefer the tone of coated heads anyway. The coated Remo Emperors are just the right thing if you have a hard hitting gig.

cheers
Gavin
Old 10-07-2010, 03:15 PM

Hi Gavin!

First, thank you for the picture. I've already put it up behind my drum, and I'm also using it as a wallpaper on my laptop. :)

Second: In your Visions Dvd, there is a section about subdivisions. You demonstrated it with a work-out applied for the hands. If I remember correctly, you stated: This is the fundamental building block of everything that you'll ever play. I'm thinking about applying that concept for the feet as well for better timing and pedal control. Would you recommend it?

Last edited by szokematyi; 10-07-2010 at 03:25 PM.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:22 PM

Greetings Gavin!

Of all the songs you've performed on, what song really sticks out to you the most? Could you explain why too?

Cheers!