DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 04-13-2010, 04:25 AM

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

G'day gavin,
recently i have been accepted in to the orchestra of this thing in australia called the victorian state school spectacular, it sort of like an estedford meets a musical, any way i was just wondering in what ways can i maximize the experience i get and the people i meet from this awesome opportunity?

Also the other day i was playing to anesthetize on my kit tuned to the intervals said earlier in this thread but it still sounded off, because this song is in drop c do you tune your drums any differently?

and before i forget, is your tour rack (the ICON) and your home rack set up so you can just drop your kit from oe to the other? like are they set up the same way?

thanks for your help
Hurlza

Last edited by Hurlza; 04-13-2010 at 04:38 AM.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:47 AM

Hey Gavin, i caught you guys in Mumbai at the start of the year. I loved the show, PT are insane, and so are you. I hope you come to India more often, do a clinic tour here or something.

Anyway, i just wanted to ask you what kind of space do you record in for a good drum sound. None of the studios in Pune ( which is where i live) have that sound, so i was planning to record in this pub that i just did a show in over the weekend, and the drum sound on the live recording was really good. Anything wrong in that?

Shreyas
Old 04-13-2010, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post

I wanted to ask you about your buzz and ghost notes technique,
in many PT songs i can hear that you do buzz rolls on the snare in fills or play 16th notes buzz while keeping 8th notes on the hihat or ride.
which technique do you use? are there any exercises or rudiments that you use to improve that technique, or ghost notes or buzz in general?

I can't say that I use any particular technique for that. I guess it comes from my jazz background. The hard part is getting the ghost notes at the right volume for the context of the tune - and still being able to hit a hard backbeat too.

cheers
Gavin
Hi Gavin,
first I want to thank you for your quick and detailed anwering the last time ( the question about the piece of wood in your bass drum)!

Everytime I hear your ghost notes they sound amazing, just perfect and I ask myself the same question like omer. I mean, do you play one stroke on the ride cymbal an then rlrl on the snare and then again a stroke on the ride cymbal or is it more like lrll on the snare?
(At the Preview "Way out of here" of the new DVD I can see, that you play the ghost notes with both hands)

Cheers,
Padman

Yesterday I ordered the grey Editio of the Anesthetize DVD and the T-Shirt. Can't wait to get it! :D
Old 04-14-2010, 05:09 AM

Gavin,

My apologies for the confusion in my last post. What I thought was a triplet was just a group of 3 1/8th notes on the hi-hats, with the hats open on 3.

So to clarify, the intro is on the marimba? Looks like a huge xylophone?
Also, what are the tiny instruments that you hit with the small hammer in the middle of the video?

Thanks for your time Gavin
Cheers

Eric
Old 04-14-2010, 06:04 AM

Hey Gavin,

Blind House is one of my favorite songs off of the The Incident. There's that big break with all that keyboard stuff, really reminds me of some of the stuff that Steve Jansen did with Japan. Is that you playing there or is that just something that Richard has sampled on keyboards?

Thanks

--Branndon
Old 04-14-2010, 04:03 PM

Hi Gavin,
I just quit my band after being told that "Music is #2, business and making it are #1" and "I know you want to play more complex stuff, but that doesn't sell and I'm trying to make records that sell". (I posted about one of them not being able to play with a click or understand that eighth notes or quarter notes don't have a specific tempo and you said "get a gun" haha) To me music always has and will always be number 1. I've always thought of it as I'd just try to write or play the best that I can and if something happens good, if it doesn't, I'm still going to be playing, writing, and recording. Just creating something like Fear Of A Blank Planet or The Incident would be a success in my opinion. Is marketing a huge part of what you do? I'm just trying to see if I'm being nutty or not.
-Stan
Old 04-14-2010, 06:15 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chongzilla View Post
Hi Gavin,
I just quit my band after being told that "Music is #2, business and making it are #1" and "I know you want to play more complex stuff, but that doesn't sell and I'm trying to make records that sell". (I posted about one of them not being able to play with a click or understand that eighth notes or quarter notes don't have a specific tempo and you said "get a gun" haha) To me music always has and will always be number 1. I've always thought of it as I'd just try to write or play the best that I can and if something happens good, if it doesn't, I'm still going to be playing, writing, and recording. Just creating something like Fear Of A Blank Planet or The Incident would be a success in my opinion. Is marketing a huge part of what you do? I'm just trying to see if I'm being nutty or not.
-Stan
Man, some punk that can't even keep the beat to an eighth note groove doesn't have a clue about anything, much less music...Ignore his comment, he is *not* going to "make it". Get a band of serious and more dedicated musicians, you just did yourself a favour by quitting.
Good luck.

Fox.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:52 PM

Neil Peart once said that musicians either sacrifice their lives for their music or their music for their lives.

I think most professional musicians have to strike a balance between gigs that stimulate their creative impulses and that stimulate their bank accounts. You need both to be a professional and to stay sane, I think. Unless you are one of the lucky 1% that hits mega-success with one good band (your Danny Careys and Neil Pearts (ironic given the quote above)).

But just as already has been mentioned, if the guy doesn't understand basic musical concepts like 8th notes and quarter notes, he's not gonna make in the industry bottom line. It's like someone wanting to play in the NBA without knowing what a pick & roll is.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:03 PM

Yeah, in Neil Peart's video called A Work In Progress, he mentioned that he packed everything up in a crate and flew to England to make it. He said at the time he thought "all you have to do is get good and you'll make it", but he learned a hard lesson and after a while flew back to Canada and worked on farm equipment for his father's company. Well, until the clouds parted and he tried out for Rush and everything changed!

I like playing gigs, it's just when I feel the aim is off I find it's hard to really be as into business like they are. By aim I mean both they're "business before music" and they book shows in random places where nobody knows us and the bands that are playing with us don't sound anything like us ("If you're really into Barry Manilow, you'll love ICP!" - Zach Galigianakis). My idea was to build a following in VA, then DC, then MD. That way some of the people from the other places would bleed over into the other areas. Instead of just being like "uh, lets play baltimore, um, new york, um, maybe dc?". Plus the guitarist was threatened by people he thought were better. I just thought of it as "bring your A game" or that it forces you to try harder if you're playing with better bands. If you book a bunch of band that aren't as good as you, you don't have to really work as hard. The best show was random. It was The Dreaming (ex-Stabbing Westward's Singer and Drummer) and Trust Company openning for us. Other than that, it's been mainly acts that don't have a crowd so we don't gain much from them. Or we'll play someplace and nobody'll be there like the last two shows we had three people that came to see us.

Outside of that, my musical direction is more progressive! haha
Old 04-15-2010, 07:13 PM

I might want to add that I'm not bashing them. I just feel that I'm just going a different direction. It took me a while to leave too. I wanted to leave in the recording process, but I didn't because I knew they couldn't afford it on their own and I couldn't leave them hanging. Plus, I wanted to get the album done. Even if it was taking forever. Like I recorded three of the tracks in 5 hours (including setup and teardown) and then guitarist took 5 hours to record a rhythm track that he had been playing before he was in the band. So things took a while. haha, though, I'll give it to him that he'd never recorded in a studio before the band so it was new for him.
Old 04-17-2010, 03:35 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hurlza

recently i have been accepted in to the orchestra of this thing in australia called the victorian state school spectacular, it sort of like an estedford meets a musical, any way i was just wondering in what ways can i maximize the experience i get and the people i meet from this awesome opportunity?

Record as much as you can and keep your ears and ideas open.

Also the other day i was playing to anesthetize on my kit tuned to the intervals said earlier in this thread but it still sounded off, because this song is in drop c do you tune your drums any differently?

I don't really tune my drums to specific notes. That tuning list I wrote down before was just a guide - it may not have been the exact tuning I used at the time that I recorded that song.

is your tour rack (the ICON) and your home rack set up so you can just drop your kit from oe to the other? like are they set up the same way?

Yes - I can easily drop one kit into another - the two racks (although not identical racks) are set up the same.

Hi Shreyas

Anyway, i just wanted to ask you what kind of space do you record in for a good drum sound. None of the studios in Pune ( which is where i live) have that sound, so i was planning to record in this pub that i just did a show in over the weekend, and the drum sound on the live recording was really good. Anything wrong in that?

Usually I record at home where I have a couple of different spaces. If your pub sounds good to you - then record your drums there.

Hi Padman77

Everytime I hear your ghost notes they sound amazing, just perfect and I ask myself the same question like omer. I mean, do you play one stroke on the ride cymbal an then rlrl on the snare and then again a stroke on the ride cymbal or is it more like lrll on the snare?
(At the Preview "Way out of here" of the new DVD I can see, that you play the ghost notes with both hands)

Quite often I play ghost notes with both hands and just move the right hand across from the ride to the snare drum. Sometimes it's doubles on the snare rrll and sometimes it's singles. Whatever I think sounds the best for the song and whatever sounds the most articulate in the mix. Sometimes I need the ghost notes to actually be quite loud for them to be audible in heavy songs. Occasionally I might even play the ghost notes on the rim of the snare.

Hi euphoric_anomaly

My apologies for the confusion in my last post. What I thought was a triplet was just a group of 3 1/8th notes on the hi-hats, with the hats open on 3.

Are you sure you're referring to "19 Days"? I don't recall playing what you describe there.

So to clarify, the intro is on the marimba? Looks like a huge xylophone?
Also, what are the tiny instruments that you hit with the small hammer in the middle of the video?

I think it is a large Xylophone. The other instruments are a pair of Javanese Gamelan

Hi pixelbreaker

Blind House is one of my favorite songs off of the The Incident. There's that big break with all that keyboard stuff, really reminds me of some of the stuff that Steve Jansen did with Japan. Is that you playing there or is that just something that Richard has sampled on keyboards?

It's not me playing - it's programmed. I'm a big Steve Jansen fan.

Hi chongzilla

I just quit my band after being told that "Music is #2, business and making it are #1" and "I know you want to play more complex stuff, but that doesn't sell and I'm trying to make records that sell". I've always thought of it as I'd just try to write or play the best that I can and if something happens good, if it doesn't, I'm still going to be playing, writing, and recording. Just creating something like Fear Of A Blank Planet or The Incident would be a success in my opinion. Is marketing a huge part of what you do?

Not everyone in a band always has the same plans and desires for the direction of where they should be heading. Chasing what you might think is a good 'commercial' way to go - usually ends in disaster. It's much better to make music that you like - and then hope the audience likes it too. On the other side of this is the need to make a living. I've played plenty of jobs that I didn't absolutely love - because I needed to make enough money to survive. Is marketing important? It can be very important if you've made an album that you think is really good and you want as many folks as possible to hear it and hopefully buy it.

cheers
Gavin
Old 04-17-2010, 04:15 AM

Hello Mr. Harrison

I can't seem to put to words my admiration for your playing and I simply wanted add a thank you for taking the time to answer all these questions. I have learned so much, found some inspiration and even have a couple new things to practice from reading through this thread the past couple hours. The suggestion about approaching a difficult override from the 'other' perspective was especially brilliant and rang a bell with me (no pun intended).
So looking forward to seeing you guys in Dallas Tuesday night.. My tix have been on the fridge for months. I realize you cant make any promises but I'll be around before and after the show with my Incident LP and a sharpie :)

A million thanks for your time and input. I will be visiting this thread quite often from now on.

Jeff F
Old 04-17-2010, 10:01 AM

Gavin,

This is what I was inquiring about in reference to 19 Days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMGGE2AdGZY
from 2:28 to 3:11

Hopefully this clears it up ;) lol

Eric
Old 04-17-2010, 03:39 PM

Default 19 Days instrumentation

Hi all. The intro to 19 Days is played on marimba and the small instruments are Balinese barangan, which (as Gavin says) is a type of gamelan metallophone.
Old 04-17-2010, 06:12 PM

Hi Gavin. How would you describe (in your own words) a double-dotted note? How you look at that. and do you look dotted note as three smaller notes or 1.5
Old 04-18-2010, 05:02 PM

Hello again Gavin,

I'd like to know if, when mixing, u use the technique of muting/cutting the parts of your drum tracks wherever they're not played (e.g. the parts of a tom track when the tom is not played).

Thx again,
Ste
Old 04-19-2010, 12:38 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi euphoric_anomaly

This is what I was inquiring about in reference to 19 Days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMGGE2AdGZY
from 2:28 to 3:11

OK now I've understood it - but they are not triplets - they are one 8th note (open hi hat) followed by two 16ths (closed).

Hi Toza

How would you describe (in your own words) a double-dotted note? How you look at that. and do you look dotted note as three smaller notes or 1.5

When a dot is added to a note it lengthens it by 50% - a double dot should lengthen the first dot by an additional 50%. So if you start with a quarter note and then add a dot it should equal 6/16ths and then if you add another dot it should equal 7/16s.

Hi steste50

I'd like to know if, when mixing, u use the technique of muting/cutting the parts of your drum tracks wherever they're not played (e.g. the parts of a tom track when the tom is not played).

Generally I don't cut the toms. Some people cut the lower toms when they're not being played to get rid of any ringing that's going on.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 04-19-2010, 01:25 AM

hello Mr. Harrison,

You mention Phil GouId and Steve Jansen on the rhythmic designs DVD and I was wondering what other drummers you might recommend for studying really neat 4/4 grooves? I really dig all the off-time/poly-rhythm stuff but I don't want to get ahead of myself as a drummer if that makes any sense.

On that note, I really like how you approach poly-rhythms and overrides in your playing/songwriting.. always so tasteful! Can you name a couple drummers you listened to growing up to help you develop your ear and playing in those regards? (Forgive me if this kind of question has already been asked in this thread and I missed it).

Last edited by Jeff_F; 04-19-2010 at 01:41 AM.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:30 AM

Gavin,

When you were touring with King Crimson, which song (new or old) did you find to be the biggest challenge, as far as timing, tempo shifts, rests etc? Before you joined KC would you consider them a big influence in your playing style?

Thanks for your time, and explaining the 19 Days part.

Eric
Old 04-19-2010, 09:34 PM

Gavin,
I would like to ask a technique question. Do you leave the beater off of the head when you strike the bass drum? Also, I know you play heel up, but do you ever drop your entire foot to where the heel lands with the foot? It seems to help me keep my balance but usual responses from most drummers are either heel up or heel down.

Thanks,
Stuart
Old 04-20-2010, 07:21 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Jeff_F

You mention Phil GouId and Steve Jansen on the rhythmic designs DVD and I was wondering what other drummers you might recommend for studying really neat 4/4 grooves?

That's a hard question because I hear interesting things in so many players. Steve Jansen always did something that caught my ear.

On that note, I really like how you approach poly-rhythms and overrides in your playing/songwriting.. always so tasteful! Can you name a couple drummers you listened to growing up to help you develop your ear and playing in those regards?

Of course Vinnie Colaiuta is a real master at these kinds of things.

Hi euphoric_anomaly

When you were touring with King Crimson, which song (new or old) did you find to be the biggest challenge, as far as timing, tempo shifts, rests etc? Before you joined KC would you consider them a big influence in your playing style?

"Construction Of Light" and "Level 5" were the two hardest songs to play. I hadn't listened that much to KC before joining them. I think I had "Discipline" and "Three Of A Perfect Pair" on vinyl.

Hi drumstu

I would like to ask a technique question. Do you leave the beater off of the head when you strike the bass drum? Also, I know you play heel up, but do you ever drop your entire foot to where the heel lands with the foot?

I tend to leave the beater off the head - and my heal never touches the ground.

cheers
Gavin
Old 04-21-2010, 01:41 AM

Hi Gavin. i started to work on "Rhythmic Visions"
I picked this first pattern that you have showed, and move beat for one 8 note right, then 2 note, then 3 and then 4. And I did same to the left. Is this good way to start with this:)
Old 04-22-2010, 08:19 PM

Gavin,

in one of the earlier posts, you provided us with your favourite click sounds which I use very often now. When finding out about a very cool iPodTouch/iPhone application called "Tempo" (which really got me to stop using my old Tama Rhythm Watch), I had the idea to suggest to the developer to offer the chance to use your particular click sounds in one of the next updates as an alternative soundset.

Is that something you would have a problem with? This is no freeware of course - so it´s not exactly non-commercial use - but on the other side, it´s an extremely cheap and convenient metronome for people that do already own an iPodTouch or iPhone.

Regards,
Christian
Old 04-22-2010, 10:53 PM

ChrisGau,

If you are referring to the Frozen Ape app I also use that as my metronome. Good idea about the sounds.. I'd even pay for a 'Gavin Harrison sounds upgrade'. My good friend and one of my favorite drummers Rob Stankiewicz has an Iphone mount that he attached to his hit hat stand. Works really well.

Mr. Harrison,

I just wanted to say that I thoroughly enjoyed the show in Dallas Tuesday night. One of the best I've ever seen. Normal was one of the big highlights for me and I'm still hoarse from screaming. I hope you guys enjoyed the show on stage as much as we did in the audience. It was a real honor and treat to get my limited vinyl signed as well. Very kind of you. You guys are the best!
Old 04-23-2010, 07:53 AM

Hey Gavin,

I mentioned earlier that I'll be at your Chicago show next Friday at the Riviera. This may seem a little off topic, but what time should i get there?
Old 04-23-2010, 04:09 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi jungle

i started to work on "Rhythmic Visions"
I picked this first pattern that you have showed, and move beat for one 8 note right, then 2 note, then 3 and then 4. And I did same to the left. Is this good way to start with this:)

Sure - that's a good way to start. Have seen the Rhythmic Illusions book?

Hi ChrisGau

I had the idea to suggest to the developer to offer the chance to use your particular click sounds in one of the next updates as an alternative soundset.
Is that something you would have a problem with?

That's fine with me.

Hi pixelbreaker

I mentioned earlier that I'll be at your Chicago show next Friday at the Riviera. This may seem a little off topic, but what time should i get there?

Support band "Big Elf" are on at 7:30 then PT are on stage 8:40

cheers
Gavin
Old 04-24-2010, 03:12 AM

Hi Gavin,

I just received my copy of "Rhythmic Designs" in the mail today. Very sweet!! I already watched it once through and it's made me want to go back and watch "Rhythmic Horizons" again.

As I stated in an earlier post, I will be catching Porcupine Tree in Quebec City on May 6. Is there an opening act for that gig? Also, my girlfriend's favourite tune is "Lazarus". If you just "happened" to throw that in the setlist, by chance, I would be infinitely grateful. ;)

Thanks again for all of your inspiration!!!

Kevin
Old 04-24-2010, 03:15 AM

Oooops....just found that "Big Elf" is with you during the Canadian dates as well.

K
Old 04-25-2010, 06:56 PM

Hi Gavin,

This question may have been asked before, not sure, but I'll ask it in a different way.

In post production I've been told that isolation is crucial to an overall clear and precise drum sound in the mix. Especially for toms. For example: using a noise gate for the toms, and/or cut out any non-played portions of the individually recorded tom tracks and leave in only the ones played. Basically trying to lessen the amount of overtones or ringing that could invade the drum mix.

So in your recording experience (and in post production) do you gate or cut out the unwanted (or unplayed) portions of your tom tracks? Or the kick for that matter (as you do use three mics)? If yes or no, then what are the pros and cons? I'm sure it does depend on the kind of music your playing, but how do you address this?

Thanks!

p.s.: See you & PT in Chicago on 4/30! I hope this leg of the tour is going well.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:43 PM

Hey JeffV71

I'm not Gavin but I know he has answered a similar question here (though I cant seem to find the specific post). Mr. Harrison mentioned that he does NOT cut out dead space in the tom tracks. I don't know about his approach to noise gates. I want to say it was somewhere around page 90 if ya wanna dig a little more.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:35 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevShephard View Post
Also, my girlfriend's favourite tune is "Lazarus". If you just "happened" to throw that in the setlist, by chance, I would be infinitely grateful. ;)
You may get lucky; Lazarus seems to be one of Steve's favorites as well and was played in Dallas at the gig I saw. For anyone interested here's the full setlist:

The Incident
[intermission]
The Start Of Something Beautiful
Russia On Ice Phase I
Anesthetize Phase II
Lazarus
Way Out Of Here
Normal
Bonnie The Cat
[encore:]
The Sound Of Muzak
Trains

Thanks for the great show Gavin! It was my second PT show & I'll do everything I can to see you guys next time you come around as well.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:23 AM

Hi there Gavin,

Just passing by to say hi! and I can't wait for next week show in Quebec! Ive seen you in Montreal, last year during the Incident Tour, it was really great! I was just wondering, how is it to play in Quebec City? I mean, is it different from the rest of Canada or USA? I heard we have a reputation for being a good prog audience hahaha!! is this true?
Old 04-28-2010, 03:54 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauk View Post
You may get lucky; Lazarus seems to be one of Steve's favorites as well and was played in Dallas at the gig I saw. For anyone interested here's the full setlist:

The Incident
[intermission]
The Start Of Something Beautiful
Russia On Ice Phase I
Anesthetize Phase II
Lazarus
Way Out Of Here
Normal
Bonnie The Cat
[encore:]
The Sound Of Muzak
Trains

Thanks for the great show Gavin! It was my second PT show & I'll do everything I can to see you guys next time you come around as well.
I believe that was the setlist they played in Orlando at the House of Blues last Friday as well... I thought it was a great show, I honestly have never been more impressed by live drumming before in any capacity.

And now that I'm back home in good ol' New York I might be catching them again in Buffalo once May 4th rolls around... Will definitely be worth it, and I'll have to bring the lady friend along with me this time. (:

I think I may as well ask a question while I'm here that may not really be all that great because of how many ways you could go about answering it... but here it goes.

I suppose the question has probably already been asked too, maybe not in quite the same way, but when it comes to improvising songs live... I've noticed that although you mostly improvise/add a few fills here and there, never once did I feel the groove of the song even slightly falter... even during rather intense polyrhythmic parts or through odd time signatures. I'm just curious as to what your thought process is on performing these kinds of things and what might be "too much" in your mind, or how exactly your concepts of overriding make it into your fills as well.

My perception of drummers has changed considerably in this past year especially when it comes to being within the context of a band and feel... and your playing seems to epitomize that in a lot of ways. I wish I had the insight (and experience) to even gain a fraction of it... Thanks in advance.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:16 AM

Hey Gavin,

Do you guys still play Futile live? It's one of my favs, and I was just wondering if it was less popular?- too hard to get clean? (highly doubt it)....

Thanks
-Branndon
Old 04-29-2010, 12:43 AM

Hi Gavin!

So, just have seen your Rhythmic Horizons/Illusions.. absolutely wondered by "19 days", especially of marimba part

So got a Question for You:

how do you tune your rack toms, to get so clear tone? (in video where you talking about how to play 19days)
(if "that we hear" it is not only good sound processing line or mic)
do you use a tension watch or some like that?
What notes/tone do you set on batter and resonant side?
i'm trying to tune my toms in direct note, but i've found that is not so simple method.

Could you please explain how to get so clear and consistent sound of racktoms?

Lot of Thanks
Paul
Old 04-29-2010, 01:18 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi JeffV71

So in your recording experience (and in post production) do you gate or cut out the unwanted (or unplayed) portions of your tom tracks? Or the kick for that matter (as you do use three mics)? If yes or no, then what are the pros and cons? I'm sure it does depend on the kind of music your playing, but how do you address this?

When I mix my drums I don't cut or gate anything. Some folks (who don't play drums) like to (especially the lower toms) - but I'm used to the sound of the toms ringing - that's what a drum kit sounds like!!

Hi ProgJazzy(QC)

I was just wondering, how is it to play in Quebec City? I mean, is it different from the rest of Canada or USA? I heard we have a reputation for being a good prog audience hahaha!! is this true?

It's not really any different. We had a great audience last time we played there.

Hi Chaos_Inferno

I suppose the question has probably already been asked too, maybe not in quite the same way, but when it comes to improvising songs live... I've noticed that although you mostly improvise/add a few fills here and there, never once did I feel the groove of the song even slightly falter... even during rather intense polyrhythmic parts or through odd time signatures. I'm just curious as to what your thought process is on performing these kinds of things and what might be "too much" in your mind, or how exactly your concepts of overriding make it into your fills as well.

To play fills and 'keep the groove' you really need to relax and pay attention to the timing. I try (if I can) to not think too much when I'm playing - it can get in the way and inhibit me. I guess a lot of the conceptual ideas like displacement, modulation, substitution and overriding just seep through when I let go and try to improvise.

Hi pixelbreaker

Do you guys still play Futile live? It's one of my favs, and I was just wondering if it was less popular?- too hard to get clean?

We haven't played it for quite a few years now - it's a hard tune to play - and needs to be rehearsed regularly.

Hi watcher

how do you tune your rack toms, to get so clear tone? (in video where you talking about how to play 19days)
(if "that we hear" it is not only good sound processing line or mic)
do you use a tension watch or some like that?

There's no special processing going on during that recording. Maybe a little bit of EQ and reverb. I don't use a tension watch - I tried it but it didn't give me results that I liked.

What notes/tone do you set on batter and resonant side?
i'm trying to tune my toms in direct note, but i've found that is not so simple method. Could you please explain how to get so clear and consistent sound of racktoms?

That's hard to say as I don't have specific notes that I tune to (if you look back through this thread you'll find a list of relative intervals for my 5 toms). I usually tune the resonant side a bit higher than the batter side. There's a lot of instinct going on from the many years of experience that I've had trying to get a good sound from my kit. There's a whole section on my most recent DVD Rhythmic Designs about how I tune my drums...you might want to check it out.

cheers
Gavin
Old 04-29-2010, 04:48 AM

Great show in Atlanta last night! Did Steven ever find that earring, or did you make it dissappear?
Old 04-29-2010, 04:29 PM

Looking very forward to seeing you guys in Cinci on Saturday. Hope to make your acquaintance and thank you for helping me to become a better drummer. People that I play with have noticed as well as other local drummer friends that come to our shows. A couple of guys a show are asking me what was that thing you did during x and y etc. Point is that am not as constrained in getting what is in my head to come out on the drums and my stage fear is gone. I no longer have an issue with that which has really set me free.

Thanks for your hard work and sharing your ideas. The books and dvds have really gotten me out of long rut faster than I would have thought possible. Oddly enough, most of the growth has been in my brain and how I think about playing as opposed to being technique based.

Free your mind and your hands will follow I guess.

Thanks again.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
Hi jungle

i started to work on "Rhythmic Visions"

Sure - that's a good way to start. Have seen the Rhythmic Illusions book?
Well i want to stay with this displacements for some time.
1)Is it better to stay with 8 note displacements and work on different grooves, or is better to start with 16 notes displacements (I'm working on 8 notes displacements on pattern that you have showed for a week now) im starting to understand this-
2) can you give me some other groove for this displacement in 4\4 (i know the point is that i come with my own patterns, but this pattern that you showed is really god to understand how the notes travel ;)
Old 04-30-2010, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam8 View Post
Great show in Atlanta last night! Did Steven ever find that earring, or did you make it dissappear?
I concur with Adam8..great show Tuesday night. If I had known you were doing an in store that day...I would have called out sick. But I found out too late.

Speaking of Steven's earring...does this mean he lost his mojo...